Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

By Steven Taranto

10m ago•1 min read

As if things weren't already bad enough for both teams, one unwanted element of a decade-long malaise for both the New York Giants and New York Jets is the nagging criticism that the two Big Apple franchises actually play across the state line at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. That's influenced an unwanted legal distraction to both teams, as a pair of fans are persisting in legal action over New York football's territorial matters.

According to the New York Post, a pair of New York-area fans have amended their $6 billion lawsuit against the Giants and Jets, alleging that they must drop "New York" from their names given that they play in New Jersey. The original lawsuit filed in January had demanded both teams be returned to New York State proper by 2025, but has since been revised.

In their lawsuit, which seeks $2 billion in monetary damages and $4 billion in punitive damages claiming false advertising and deceptive practices, one plaintiff -- described as an "avid football fan" -- claimed that he was shocked to learn that the Giants played and operate in East Rutherford, New Jersey, when he bought tickets. The case-action lawsuit seeks to represent anyone who has attended games at MetLife Stadium since 2016.

Neither the Giants, Jets, nor the NFL have taken kindly to the lawsuit -- In April, all parties filed papers to have the lawsuit dismissed, insisting that the use of New York in the team names is not misleading at all. MetLife Stadium resides just seven miles from Manhattan (separated by the Hudson River), and is well within the 75-mile radius covering the teams' NFL territory rights.

"These claims are calculated to score points in the headlines -- not the courtroom," read a statement by lawyers representing the parties involved.

After playing at Yankee Stadium during their glory years in the 1950s and early 1960s, the Giants moved to East Rutherford in 1976 to the newly-constructed Giants Stadium. The Jets became tenants of Giants Stadium in 1984, and the two teams have shared MetLife Stadium since 2010.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Do he niners have to drop San Francisco from their name?  How about the Cowboys?  The Dolphins dont play or practice in the city of Miami?

Where does it end?

The only difference is that technically the Jets and Giants are the only ones in a different state, unless Washington is too

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Do he niners have to drop San Francisco from their name?  How about the Cowboys?  The Dolphins dont play or practice in the city of Miami?

Where does it end?

The Fins play in Miami Gardens so that’s close name wise but as you said there are plenty of teams that don’t play in the exact location as the team name. I think the Jets/Giants might be the only ones that play in a different state. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Where does it end?

I'm not agreeing with changing the name...BUT, aren't the Jets and Giants the only two teams that play their games out of state?

7 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I'm not agreeing with changing the name...BUT, aren't the Jets and Giants the only two teams that play their games out of state?

Nope. 

“FedExField (originally Jack Kent Cooke Stadium) is an American football stadium located near the Capital Beltway in Prince George's County, Maryland, 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Washington, D.C. The stadium is the home of the Washington Commanders of the National Football League (NFL).”  Wikipedia 

• Upvote 2

Being from NY I always considered NJ Hell itself.  What's a more appropriate venue than a swamp in Hell for the NY Jets and NY Football Giants to play in?

Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighbourhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach
Or to Hollywood
But I'm taking a Greyhound
On the Hudson River Line
I'm in a New York state of mind

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
13 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:
If this forces us to build a new stadium and move out metlife, i'd be all for it emoji2369.png

Ha ... I think a logo change would be more economical.

I mean yeah, woody will obviously take the more profitable option anyway. Just wishful thinking though