Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Another flunky lawyer trying to make a name for himself.  

Have a good time trying to trying to demonstrate damages.  

Not too shocking that the Post gives this nonsense the time of day

Exactly. You have to prove that this has caused you some sort of loss or damaged you causing a loss of future earnings. You just can't successfully  sue someone because you don't  understand the terms of the ticket you bought. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The Fins play in Miami Gardens so that’s close name wise but as you said there are plenty of teams that don’t play in the exact location as the team name. I think the Jets/Giants might be the only ones that play in a different state. 

Don't  the Fins play in Dade?

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually bagles in Manhattan suck. Best bagles are on Long Island. 

Hogwash.  LI gets it's water from the aquifer.  Good water but water is still a key ingredient of a good bagel, bread or pizza dough.  The best water for making either a bagel, bread or dough comes from the Catskill/Deleware watershed.  NYC gets 90% of it's water from that watershed. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Being from NY I always considered NJ Hell itself.  What's a more appropriate venue than a swamp in Hell for the NY Jets and NY Football Giants to play in?

Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighbourhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach
Or to Hollywood
But I'm taking a Greyhound
On the Hudson River Line
I'm in a New York state of mind

Wow Billy Joel lyrics are even shlockier when you see them written out like that

• Upvote 3

I agree. It's false advertising. "Welcome to the Meadowlands in NJ. A state in which two teams who train, play, and rest their corporate HQ claim to be a NY teams".  NY isn't even that impressive anyway. The place is living off its past glory as it descends into the violent sh*t hole it once was prior to Mayor G., and I doubt the ratings would be affected at all. No one watches the games to see the "big city" skyline as they cut to commercials.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Hogwash.  LI gets it's water from the aquifer.  Good water but water is still a key ingredient of a good bagel, bread or pizza dough.  The best water for making either a bagel, bread or dough comes from the Catskill/Deleware watershed.  NYC gets 90% of it's water from that watershed. 

I don't go by water, I go by taste

2 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

Nope. 

“FedExField (originally Jack Kent Cooke Stadium) is an American football stadium located near the Capital Beltway in Prince George's County, Maryland, 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Washington, D.C. The stadium is the home of the Washington Commanders of the National Football League (NFL).”  Wikipedia 

If we're going to get specific, Washington DC is not a state the last time I checked.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I'm not agreeing with changing the name...BUT, aren't the Jets and Giants the only two teams that play their games out of state?

What is the actual significance there, though? The "New York" in NYG and NYJ is obviously New York City, not New York State. It's no different than the Commanders playing in Maryland. Like 90% of NFL teams we aren't in the city proper because that's not really practical. The Meadowlands is certainly closer to Manhattan than the 9ers are to San Francisco.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

We do ok in Southern Brooklyn

Used to drive to an awesome bagel shop on Avenue X or on 3rd Ave.  Both were well known and noted for the quality of their Bagels. 

Russ and Daughters in NYC, Thompkins Square Bagels, etc, NYC has plenty of well known Bagel shops

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What is the actual significance there, though? The "New York" in NYG and NYJ is obviously New York City, not New York State. It's no different than the Commanders playing in Maryland. Like 90% of NFL teams we aren't in the city proper because that's not really practical. The Meadowlands is certainly closer to Manhattan than the 9ers are to San Francisco.

I'm not disagreeing.  And the Dolphins don't play in Miami either.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Do he niners have to drop San Francisco from their name?  How about the Cowboys?  The Dolphins dont play or practice in the city of Miami?

Where does it end?

12 hours ago, Hex said:

The only difference is that technically the Jets and Giants are the only ones in a different state, unless Washington is too

SF, Dallas and Miami arent states to begin with

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Some people have more time than sense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I read a family is suing the owner of a jeep because a mechanic shop hand killed another mechanic shop employee when he was trying to put it into gear. He apparently didn’t know how to drive a stick shift or have a driver license. Lawyers will take anything I guess. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, New York Mick said:

I read a family is suing the owner of a jeep because a mechanic shop hand killed another mechanic shop employee when he was trying to put it into gear. He apparently didn’t know how to drive a stick shift or have a driver license. Lawyers will take anything I guess. 

U-S-A, U sue anyone. ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

By Steven Taranto

10m ago•1 min read

As if things weren't already bad enough for both teams, one unwanted element of a decade-long malaise for both the New York Giants and New York Jets is the nagging criticism that the two Big Apple franchises actually play across the state line at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. That's influenced an unwanted legal distraction to both teams, as a pair of fans are persisting in legal action over New York football's territorial matters.

According to the New York Post, a pair of New York-area fans have amended their $6 billion lawsuit against the Giants and Jets, alleging that they must drop "New York" from their names given that they play in New Jersey. The original lawsuit filed in January had demanded both teams be returned to New York State proper by 2025, but has since been revised.

In their lawsuit, which seeks $2 billion in monetary damages and $4 billion in punitive damages claiming false advertising and deceptive practices, one plaintiff -- described as an "avid football fan" -- claimed that he was shocked to learn that the Giants played and operate in East Rutherford, New Jersey, when he bought tickets. The case-action lawsuit seeks to represent anyone who has attended games at MetLife Stadium since 2016.

Neither the Giants, Jets, nor the NFL have taken kindly to the lawsuit -- In April, all parties filed papers to have the lawsuit dismissed, insisting that the use of New York in the team names is not misleading at all. MetLife Stadium resides just seven miles from Manhattan (separated by the Hudson River), and is well within the 75-mile radius covering the teams' NFL territory rights.

"These claims are calculated to score points in the headlines -- not the courtroom," read a statement by lawyers representing the parties involved.

After playing at Yankee Stadium during their glory years in the 1950s and early 1960s, the Giants moved to East Rutherford in 1976 to the newly-constructed Giants Stadium. The Jets became tenants of Giants Stadium in 1984, and the two teams have shared MetLife Stadium since 2010.

1gzf5o.gif.91a13727ec5f2ff0f0206cc5483b4068.gif

Out of state not city. Commanders is a good parallel though.
  • Upvote 1

The attorney who filed this complaint has a history of filing these kinds of cases for publicity. It's cheaper to file a bombastic and ridiculous lawsuit and draw media attention than pay for TV ads. If the attorney is really in it for the money in the case, then the hope is discovery uncovers something embarrassing to the team(s) and they will pay to keep it quiet.