Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

New York Nets >>New Jersey Nets>>Brooklyn Nets. 

They did it right but the bottom line is the New York football teams were not going to give up the cache of the New York name and Jersey had no problem with that because of the $$$. It seems stupid but if Jersey doesn’t care neither do I. And as others have pointed out the close proximity to NYC makes it almost a moot point. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree. It's false advertising. "Welcome to the Meadowlands in NJ. A state in which two teams who train, play, and rest their corporate HQ claim to be a NY teams".  NY isn't even that impressive anyway. The place is living off its past glory as it descends into the violent sh*t hole it once was prior to Mayor G., and I doubt the ratings would be affected at all. No one watches the games to see the "big city" skyline as they cut to commercials.

You couldn't be more wrong. Sometimes the skyline is better than the games.

In all seriousness, when fans of other team travel, they aren't coming to spend the weekend in the toilet that is New Jersey. It doesn't even have past glory to lean on, let alone anything worthwhile in the present. I lived in NJ for 15 years btw, so this is a 1st hand account. I couldn't be happier back here in NY state.

21 hours ago, JetPotato said:

In all seriousness, when fans of other team travel, they aren't coming to spend the weekend in the toilet that is New Jersey. It doesn't even have past glory to lean on, let alone anything worthwhile in the present. I lived in NJ for 15 years btw, so this is a 1st hand account. I couldn't be happier back here in NY state.

You probably lived in sh*thole town...  NY state has their share of those too

Why do you guys all pretend NY and NJ are different? As someone who's lived and spent time in both sides of Hudson... they are same freaking place

• Upvote 2

This is such a silly lawsuit and discussion.

Teams rarely play in the City/Market they represent.

A Stadium in the Meadowlands is still representing the New York City market as the NFL franchise with the rights to that market.

If the team decided to play at some extreme distance from their market (say, the Washington 'Ders playing in Richmond VA) that might be something, but this?  Patently ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Why do you guys all pretend NY and NJ are different? As someone who's lived and spent time in both sides of Hudson... they are same freaking place

I live in CT, NY and believe me it's way different than NJ, NY.   

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

I grew up in Morris County and also lived in the city for 10 years (1 Queens, 9 Brooklyn). Not sure I agree with you there.

8 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

I grew up in Morris County and also lived in the city for 10 years (1 Queens, 9 Brooklyn). Not sure I agree with you there.

NY isn't just the city... there are areas north of the city very similar to Morris County.

Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken... if you want somewhere closer to Queens and Brooklyn.

Again, these states are demographically and culturally the same. The same people.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JetPotato said:

They aren't coming to stay in NJ, and yet that is where they go to watch the game regardless. The initials before the name aren't going to stop them from doing what they already do.

It all depends where you live. I spent my first 30 years in a very nice area in NY just outside of the city. I spent the last 10 in a very nice area of NJ. I'll take NJ (despite my subconscious NY bred baseless anti NJ bias). NY has better food in general, no doubt, but past that I prefer my area in Monmouth. I can take a ferry to Manhattan that's two minutes away if I want, but generally don't. There's plenty to see, and do here. Parks, historic sites, events, beaches... Much better sailing than the LI sound... It has it's sh*tty areas too which is no different than NY.

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

NY isn't just the city... there are areas north of the city very similar to Morris County.

Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken... if you want somewhere closer to Queens and Brooklyn.

Again, these states are demographically and culturally the same. The same people.

?

5 hours ago, Morrissey said:

That's completely untrue.

NJ does not have the greatest city on the planet.

NJ does not have the Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lakes, or anything close to any of these regions.

Hamptons beaches crush the Jersey shore.

The food isn't even close.

I lived in Bergen County for a long time. It's one of Jersey's "elite" areas. The difference in quality of life living in the Hudson Valley now is stark. Night and day. Having moved here made me regret wasting years in that mess.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

NJ does not have the Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lakes, or anything close to any of these regions.
I lived in Bergen County for a long time. It's one of Jersey's "elite" areas. The difference in quality of life living in the Hudson Valley now is stark. Night and day. Having moved here made me regret wasting years in that mess.
What part if the valley u in now ?

14 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Great - I'm talking about NY metro area. People in Queens have nothing in common with anyone up in the Finger Lakes..

North Bergen on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Great - I'm talking about NY metro area. People in Queens have nothing in common with anyone up in the Finger Lakes..

North Bergen on the other hand...

Lol. Half the people in the Finger Lakes these days moved from Brooklyn.

16 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Have always hated NY/NJ as in Red Bulls, Hitmen, etc... About as ridiculous as the current Angels team name. That said, would Gotham work as a team name or no? 

Only if you're Batman.

I mean seriously.  A silly solution to a sillier "problem".

We'll change our names to The Gotham Dark Knights of Emo, lol.  Would definitely work with the Black uniforms.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Only if you're Batman.

I mean seriously.  A silly solution to a sillier "problem".

We'll change our names to The Gotham Dark Knights of Emo, lol.  Would definitely work with the Black uniforms.

Name goes back to 1807. 

45 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Name goes back to 1807. 

Well aware. 

Alot of things go back a lot of time, that doesn't mean we need to rename the NY Jets to the Gotham Jets, just typing that out makes me laugh at how stupid that looks/sounds.  The only Gotham anyone under the age of 130 will think of is Batman-related.

Also, Gotham is just another word for NY City.  It doesn't change that inherent issue that the team plays in New Jersey.

Metropolis is another name for NYC too, so maybe we can use the Metropolis Gotham Jets.  We can have all the super heroes from the lame DC universe then!  Offense can wear Batman suits, Defense can wear Superman suits.

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well aware. 

Alot of things go back a lot of time, that doesn't mean we need to rename the NY Jets to the Gotham Jets, just typing that out makes me laugh at how stupid that looks/sounds.  The only Gotham anyone under the age of 130 will think of is Batman-related.

Also, Gotham is just another word for NY City.  It doesn't change that inherent issue that the team plays in New Jersey.

Metropolis is another name for NYC too, so maybe we can use the Metropolis Gotham Jets.  We can have all the super heroes from the lame DC universe then!  Offense can wear Batman suits, Defense can wear Superman suits.

okay-this-was-fun-kenan-thompson.gif

On 5/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, JetPotato said:

So if fans of the other team travel to see a Jets game they cant get into NYC to do NY things if theyre in NJ?  Theyre trapped.  Cant get out of the toilet of a city like Hoboken or Jersey City and go to the game and  get into Manhattan?  But they can from everywhere in NY State?