Fan lawsuit claims Giants, Jets should drop 'New York' from names because they play in New Jersey

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You actually believe the Jets lease MetLife.  Still?

The two teams leased the parcel of land on which the stadium stands from the NJSEA for a 25-year term, with options to extend it which could eventually reach 97 years. After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. The first such opportunity to opt out will occur in 2025 with a notice date of 2024. There will then be an opportunity to opt out in 2030, 2035, 2040, etc... However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease.

Jets can leave MetLife by 2025. Build a stadium adjacent to Citi Field and the Jets will come. 

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The two teams leased the parcel of land on which the stadium stands from the NJSEA for a 25-year term, with options to extend it which could eventually reach 97 years. After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. The first such opportunity to opt out will occur in 2025 with a notice date of 2024. There will then be an opportunity to opt out in 2030, 2035, 2040, etc... However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease.

Jets can leave MetLife by 2025. Build a stadium adjacent to Citi Field and the Jets will come. 

The two teams own the stadium.  

They dont lease the stadium, they own it, equally.  It cost almost $2B, you arent walking away unless someone takes over their half ownership of the building

• Thumb Down 1

The more I think about this.  New York was really discovered by the Dutch and it was called New Amersterdam.  After depossing Peter Stuyvesant who was the Dutch governor at the time, the English immediately took over the signage business and painted over Amesterdam with York in tribute to the Duke of York.    If you're going to sue.  They should ask both the Jets and Giants to incorporate Redskins in their name.  They were the rightful owners of the entire area that encompases all of the 5 boroughs, Nassau and Suffolk county along with most of Northern and central NJ.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, Sammybighead said:

Imagine being the lawyer leading these idiots and truly believing you have a shot at the 6B pot of gold...

On 5/15/2022 at 11:59 AM, rex-n-effect said:

The attorney who filed this complaint has a history of filing these kinds of cases for publicity. It's cheaper to file a bombastic and ridiculous lawsuit and draw media attention than pay for TV ads. If the attorney is really in it for the money in the case, then the hope is discovery uncovers something embarrassing to the team(s) and they will pay to keep it quiet. 

Here's the attorney who filed the case:  http://www.evanspenceresq.com/#

His website is one page and there's a lot dedicated to movies this guy has produced.  This is all about the lawyer promoting himself, nothing more, nothing less.  

On 5/15/2022 at 8:55 AM, Gastineau Lives said:

We do ok in Southern Brooklyn

On 5/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, More Cowbell said:

Actually bagles in Manhattan suck. Best bagles are on Long Island. 

No trip back to Brooklyn is complete without a stop here:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gerritsen-beach-bagels-brooklyn

image.thumb.png.5258ec0f5e7b84cf18165a29a567aa58.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

You were wrong about the lease. Own it. 

You are actually arguing that they don’t own the stadium and can walk away.  Good for you.  I’m not doing your urge to argue something this ridiculously wrong

My understanding is that the stadium is owned by Metlife Stadium Company - but Metlife Stadium Company is jointly owned by the Jets and the Giants thus, in essence, the Jets and the Giants own the physical stadium.

The land the stadium itself sits on is owned by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and that land is leased.

So...you're both right?

Can we talk more about Bagels?  I miss good bagels....

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You are actually arguing that they don’t own the stadium and can walk away.  Good for you.  I’m not doing your urge to argue something this ridiculously wrong

They do own the stadium.  They set up a seperate corporation owned 50% by each team to build and run the stadium.  The land is leased for 25 years with 5 year renewals up to 97 years.  Either team can give notice and get out and the other team is required to stay until the lease ends.

I can't see the Giants moving because they planted their flag in NJ.  I could see the Jets trying to get back to NYC if Woody can get a sweatheart deal for a new stadium in the City.  This would be a great move and make the Giants a 2nd class citizen in the NY area. 

On 5/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Warfish said:

Well aware. 

Alot of things go back a lot of time, that doesn't mean we need to rename the NY Jets to the Gotham Jets, just typing that out makes me laugh at how stupid that looks/sounds.  The only Gotham anyone under the age of 130 will think of is Batman-related.

Also, Gotham is just another word for NY City.  It doesn't change that inherent issue that the team plays in New Jersey.

Metropolis is another name for NYC too, so maybe we can use the Metropolis Gotham Jets.  We can have all the super heroes from the lame DC universe then!  Offense can wear Batman suits, Defense can wear Superman suits.

I just don't see it as an issue. Commanders don't play in Washington D.C., 49ers don't play in San Fransisco, Cowboys don't play in Dallas...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

No, you're being a strawman. I said break a lease and you made it sound like I'm talking about "ownership". Have a nice walk, JetNut.

Strawman?  

I said the Jets own half of the stadium and you said they LEASE it.  They dont.  Losing or owning the land doesnt change it, they can walk away and eat the billion dollar investment, which would be stupid or they can sell it.  

You dont understand leases or straw man arguments.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

They do own the stadium.  They set up a seperate corporation owned 50% by each team to build and run the stadium.  The land is leased for 25 years with 5 year renewals up to 97 years.  Either team can give notice and get out and the other team is required to stay until the lease ends.

I can't see the Giants moving because they planted their flag in NJ.  I could see the Jets trying to get back to NYC if Woody can get a sweatheart deal for a new stadium in the City.  This would be a great move and make the Giants a 2nd class citizen in the NY area. 

I get they lease the land and can opt out down the road.  But they invested the money to build the stadium and would either have to walk away from it or sell out their half.   

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get they lease the land and can opt out down the road.  But they invested the money to build the stadium and would either have to walk away from it or sell out their half.   

No doubt but I'm sure if they got a sweetheart deal from a NY venue they would end up doing just fine.  These stadiums have a shorter and shorter shelf life when the venue itself is an attraction to create revenue.

The Meadowlands compared to some of the new stadiums is already an outdated dump.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

No doubt but I'm sure if they got a sweetheart deal from a NY venue they would end up doing just fine.  These stadiums have a shorter and shorter shelf life when the venue itself is an attraction to create revenue.

The Meadowlands compared to some of the new stadiums is already an outdated dump.  

Agree other than I would think they would want their own stadium which will take another substantial financial investment, even with a sweetheart deal from NY.  On top of the nut left on the tab from Met Life.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Strawman?  

I said the Jets own half of the stadium and you said they LEASE it.  They dont.  Losing or owning the land doesnt change it, they can walk away and eat the billion dollar investment, which would be stupid or they can sell it.  

You dont understand leases or straw man arguments.  

Wrong! Show a quote of me saying the Jets don't own. I can't Imagine you knowing about the lease I was referring to, and somehow turn that into the Jets don't have any ownership of MetLife. I'm done talking about this with you, JetNut. ;)

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Wrong! Show a quote of me saying the Jets don't own. I can't Imagine you knowing about the lease I was referring to, and somehow turn that into the Jets don't have any ownership of MetLife. I'm done talking about this with you, JetNut. ;)

Your actual words were when will woody break the lease and move.   It’s not just break the lease and move.  But you just can’t move on. 

The Giants and Jets leased the parcel of land on which the stadium stands from the NJSEA for a 25-year term, with options to extend it which could eventually reach 97 years. After the 15th year of the lease, and every five years, hence; one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. The first such opportunity to opt out will occur in 2025 with a notice date of 2024. There will then be an opportunity to opt out in 2030, 2035, 2040, etc... However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease. However, the high cost of building and relocating to a stadium makes it very unlikely.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So if fans of the other team travel to see a Jets game they cant get into NYC to do NY things if theyre in NJ?  Theyre trapped.  Cant get out of the toilet of a city like Hoboken or Jersey City and go to the game and  get into Manhattan?  But they can from everywhere in NY State?  

Yeah, that's not what anyone said. 

It's all about name recognition in marketing. New York sells. New Jersey repels.

Don't underthink in your overthinking.