Henry M. Hertz Presents… videos and links Jet fans may or should be interested in

29 minutes ago, tfine said:

Not sure why every pass has to be under a microscope in OTAs. We don’t know how this practice is structured we don’t what plays they are working on. We don’t know if the receivers are doing their part in terms or running the right routes and being in the right spot.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 5 yard passes we are concerned about the WR and the QB being on the same page? 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Exactly my point except for the whole cares part. There is no contact. Why does Zach feel he has to scramble out of the pocket when he feels pressure? This was a huge issue last season. If he should ever feel confident in stepping up in the pocket, it's now.

Why is he still off target throwing short passes, especially  in practice where it should just be pitch and catch. There is no reason to miss on a short pass lime that at this level. It was a problem last season and it is still a problem from what he said. 

Instead of being Mr. This is all fine, answer the two questions. I would really like to know your take. Are you implying it's  practice and Zach doesn't  care for some reason so  he is being lazy?

I have no problem with the scrambling part. especially if he's trying to play it real.  Practice like it was a game.  I would rather see him do that then stand in the pocket for 8 or 9 seconds and then throw the ball.  He should work on his internal clock.

Now...still throwing behind receivers and holding the ball too long is very worrisome at this point.  OTA's or not, he shouldn't be consistently making the most basic of errors any longer.  Still throwing behind WR's on crossing routes is mind boggling bad.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because its practice and you do things because you know you can?  You throw passes that you wouldnt in a game.  You scramble out of a pocket because no one is there to touch you?  

Not getting how you know he was still off target on short passes.  Or that it was last season because of a handful of games where he was and then he wasnt.  The worst overblown reaction from last season.  

Who the hell thinks that about ZW?  Everything about him says he cares and nothing says hes lazy.  Because of a handful of passes?  Come on 

It's not really just a handful of bad passes.  It's the norm for him since the beginning and it's worrisome because it looks like minimal to no improvement so far.  Yes, this is worrisome even now in OTA's.  

But we, as Jets fans, often select to overlook and rip others for pointing it out.  No one wants this team to succeed more than I do.  But call it like it is... Zach was terrible in 2021 and the start of OTAs he still looks ridiculously inaccurate. 

For many here, it makes sense to close their eyes and wish it weren't true and silently pray that it changes ASAP.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have no problem with the scrambling part. especially if he's trying to play it real.  Practice like it was a game.  I would rather see him do that then stand in the pocket for 8 or 9 seconds and then throw the ball.  He should work on his internal clock.

Now...still throwing behind receivers and holding the ball too long is very worrisome at this point.  OTA's or not, he shouldn't be consistently making the most basic of errors any longer.  Still throwing behind WR's on crossing routes is mind boggling bad.

My feeling about when QB scrambles is it is a broken play. There should be no broken plays in practice.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fine, our QB had accuracy  issues on short passes for about 3/4 of the games he played last season and in OTA's this year he still has the same problem and is part of a group of players that was described as fallers, but nothing to see here. 

No nothing to see here in an couple of OTA practices.  I’ve said it more than a few times now

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My feeling about when QB scrambles is it is a broken play. There should be no broken plays in practice.  

We really don't know what he's being coached to do in those drilsl.  Neither does Conner.

They very well could have told him - drop back, go through your reads and if no one is open - take off.  Get timing with the WR on what to do in those situations.  We really don't know - so I'm not going to judge him on that.

But they surely didn't tell him to throw behind WR's on 10 yard ins...Which was a signature of his last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You dont want recievers and the QB practicing and getting chemistry on broken plays?  Really?  With a QB which some call "elite" elusiveness?  There will be broken plays where a DL breaks through throwing off all timing and Zach breaks free.  With a guy like Zach, thats when he is at his best.  Id like the WR to know what he is looking for then to do, and Zach to know their tendencies on such plays.

No doubt Mahomes and Hill practiced and discussed how to react in certain scramble drills.

• Upvote 1

imo i'm not too worried about ota's.  as i recall, wilson was doing pretty good in training camp and even in the pre-season last year.  that didn't translate into what he did during the season.  the season is just so much different than practice or pre-season.

obviously we should be concerned if he can't hit those short passes 10/10.  this offense is going to rely heavily on carter et al to catching and running.  not to mention the occasional deep passes and slants.

5 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

This board in June:

dash mihok argument GIF by Ray Donovan

Me watching it in June:

amused game of thrones GIF

the board in mid to late October (around the usual time when the W-L record  is around 2-4 or 2-5ish):

FPxRsaRXsA0Olxd.jpg

the board from Thanksgiving to season's end: 

Bored-audience.png

it's more certain than that Ryan Fitzpatrick Cycle thingie.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

You dont want recievers and the QB practicing and getting chemistry on broken plays?  Really?  With a QB which some call "elite" elusiveness?  There will be broken plays where a DL breaks through throwing off all timing and Zach breaks free.  With a guy like Zach, thats when he is at his best.  Id like the WR to know what he is looking for then to do, and Zach to know their tendencies on such plays.

No doubt Mahomes and Hill practiced and discussed how to react in certain scramble drills.

When it is planned for, I'm all for it, but I never want to see a QB running to this side or that side unless it is what he wants  to do, IOW's, he is dictating the action. I didn't  see the practice but from what Connor said, it sounded like protection broke and he ran. I would prefer he step up and throw in those situations. 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

If Zach is terrible again, then get a vet in here for 2023.

This.

What I think is more probable: Zach makes a measured (smaller than expected) "leap" from year 1 to year 2. He has high and low games. The coaches say "it's a process" and Saleh keeps preaching that you just have to give a player 3 years to know what you really got because players develop at different levels.

Methinks that we're in it with Zach through 2023 no matter what. I actually think the kid will work out, but he's not showing it yet. 

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I know nothing matters but if he can’t complete passes in practice he probably can’t complete passes in the game.

Obviously the team hasn’t done enough to protect his confidence. They should cut the shell of Joe Flacco so he knows the Jets are all in on him. Then he will play the good football.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Obviously the team hasn’t done enough to protect his confidence. They should cut the shell of Joe Flacco so he knows the Jets are all in on him. Then he will play the good football.

They'd have to cut Mike White too in that case.  Bring back Luke Falk!

Glad you're back, sir.  Missed you.  ❤️