Zach Wilson and Braxton Berrios were at the Rangers game tonight.

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That just shows you how clueless these guys are. Last year they were Islanders fans and now they are Rangers fans?  I guess neither has the pulse of the NY metro sports scene yet.  No self respecting NYC metro area hockey fan roots for both teams. You love one and hate the other.  For me, tonight was a dark night.  Go Canes.  

I chose the Jets over the Giants and Bills without growing-up in NY.  I had zero knowledge of what I was doing at that moment needless to say.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

That's awesome. Glad the Rangers won. I was a big hockey fan back in the 90s/early 200s when Devils were snatching up Stanley Cups every few years. After that one lockout and NHL getting dropped off ESPN I stopped watching completely. I did watch game 6 though and I threw my hands up and fist pumped in celebration when NY scored the game winner with 120 secs left. I hope they go all the way. There's few atmospheres better in sports than a packed MSG rooting their home team towards a championship.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Facts said:

I wonder if this is the week that agents tell players to go to local sporting events for publicity. 

- There is this video with Wilson and Berrios
- There is that video going around on social media of Josh Allen hitting a home run at a baseball game

- Tua waiving the flag at FR1

Seems coordinated.

Or guys who love sports like going to sports and want to feel part of their local community. 

And later, “don’t go to sports anymore or the fans will be mad you aren’t doing football 24/7.”

(nah your probably right but they don’t look like I do in meetings I don’t want to go to lol) 

That just shows you how clueless these guys are. Last year they were Islanders fans and now they are Rangers fans?  I guess neither has the pulse of the NY metro sports scene yet.  No self respecting NYC metro area hockey fan roots for both teams. You love one and hate the other.

They're not "Fans".  They're NY Sports players showing support for other NY teams. 

Players can (and often do) support any other team from that City in other sports.  I doubt we'd see an Islander rooting at a Rangers game, or a Jet rooting at a Giant game, or a Met at a Yankee game, for obvious same-sport reasons, but when it comes to other sports, it's generally a free pass to just "root the City". 

In point of fact, it's in Zach's interest to be seen rooting at both Islanders and Rangers games, Zach isn't in the business of alienating either fanbase.  

I'll be honest, I'm glad DC has only one of each Pro team, the whole divided-City thing doesn't seem to add much.  Plenty of other rival Cities teams to hate, no need to hate your own.  JMO, TETO.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Seriously - spoiler alert - they don’t care about either of these teams but are enjoying a good time rooting with the home fans.

exactly what I meant.  It's a good thing for the two of them and the fans around them.  If the reason they are rooting for the NYR this year or Isles last year is to root for the home team with the fans they want to root for them.  

All good, IMO

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

exactly what I meant.  It's a good thing for the two of them and the fans around them.  If the reason they are rooting for the NYR this year or Isles last year is to root for the home team with the fans they want to root for them.  

All good, IMO

Being from Mormon Country, I doubt Zach has a favorite hockey team. After the experience last night at the garden…. He’ll have a favorite team now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Snort! Rangers vs Islanders rivalry is like a slap fight compared to the battle of Alberta.  Oilers vs Flames next round, should be a war.  ?

When was the last time they played each other in the playoffs? Melrose said it best about the Flames last night.....".you want to play Calgary? Ok, but prepare to pay the price." 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Exactly. I am a big Yankee fan but I was in Boston  for a few days on business  and the Sox were playing the Blue Jay's at Fenway so I went, even though I hated that team. It was really cool and so different than going to Yankee Stadium.  It was so small and intimate.  Very cool experience. My point is, going to a sporting event is just a fun experience.  

spoken like a closet sawks fan

1 hour ago, section314 said:

When was the last time they played each other in the playoffs? Melrose said it best about the Flames last night.....".you want to play Calgary? Ok, but prepare to pay the price." 

1990-91, oilers won in 7 games.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Facts said:

I wonder if this is the week that agents tell players to go to local sporting events for publicity. 

- There is this video with Wilson and Berrios
- There is that video going around on social media of Josh Allen hitting a home run at a baseball game

- Tua waiving the flag at FR1

Seems coordinated.

I think with Zach and Braxton it’s just a case of Sunday being their date night.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

6 hours ago, docdhc said:

You’re not wrong but for a kid from Utah to embrace all the local teams and be seen with fans is smart and he looked like he was having fun. I doubt any Islanders/Jets fans would hold it against him. At least he’s not showing up to watch a game in Philly or Boston. 

Knicks Quickly also was at a previous Ranger playoff game last week providing support for the local teams. Everyone has to realize almost every NY Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, etc. player is likely from another state so they probably are not fans of NY teams as far as who they grew up rooting for. So, it is very good of them to show support for the state/city teams that is NY and the teams they play for.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That just shows you how clueless these guys are. Last year they were Islanders fans and now they are Rangers fans?  I guess neither has the pulse of the NY metro sports scene yet.  No self respecting NYC metro area hockey fan roots for both teams. You love one and hate the other.  For me, tonight was a dark night.  Go Canes.  

This is one of the most polarizing posts on JN I've ever seen.  Look at all the different reactions across the board.  lmao.

image.thumb.png.3c5c32ba3e71067d1e9f6a29081ddbb7.png

Weren’t they basically Islanders fans because of GVR? Last I checked, we got that tumor removed. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Confirmed.  There's also "the Intruder".  The subtle difference there is you use your non-dominant hand, AND you "come from behind" (behind your back then through the legs).  

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

May be they just like seeing a good game ??? They are not from the area, so no wonder they don't act like NYC Metro area fans.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If Zach is even borderline effective, I’m talking Kirk Cousins peak level QB, he’ll have that city by the short and curlies.

3 hours ago, Facts said:

Wow that’s sad to think about.

Sad but true.  There are STILL people on JN, in 2022, who worship at the altar of Chad Pennington, who is probably the most comparable QB to Kirk Cousins that I can think of.

@Irish Jet

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Knicks Quickly also was at a previous Ranger playoff game last week providing support for the local teams. Everyone has to realize almost every NY Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, etc. player is likely from another state so they probably are not fans of NY teams as far as who they grew up rooting for. So, it is very good of them to show support for the state/city teams that is NY and the teams they play for.

Most of them are young and single and have a lot of money, and this time of year a lot of free time.

They probably know a lot of the other athletes from other teams in the same city, and being athletes they love sports and get caught up in the excitement and want to go watch the games.

Rangers fan here. Unless it negatively impacts us, I'm happy to see the Isles do well.

Pretty basic stuff when you didn't grow up fighting with other fans about which team is better. 

• Upvote 1