Zach Wilson and Braxton Berrios were at the Rangers game tonight.

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That just shows you how clueless these guys are. Last year they were Islanders fans and now they are Rangers fans?  I guess neither has the pulse of the NY metro sports scene yet.  No self respecting NYC metro area hockey fan roots for both teams. You love one and hate the other.  For me, tonight was a dark night.  Go Canes.  

In fairness to Zach he only looks like he’s 12 years old.  He didn’t have to choose what tribe he was in to survive middle school.  

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sad but true.  There are STILL people on JN, in 2022, who worship at the altar of Chad Pennington, who is probably the most comparable QB to Kirk Cousins that I can think of.

@Irish Jet

Chad was the best home-grown QB we've had since Kenny O.  

One could argue that Jeff Blake was better (drafted 1992), but he had all his play/success elsewhere.

Every other home-grown QB between Kenny O and Chad and then between Chad and today is worse. Most were much, much worse (excluding Wilson, who is TBD).

Bill Ransdall, Troy Taylor, Browning Nagle, Glenn Foley, Chuck Clements, Brooks Bollinger, Kellen Clemens, Brad Smith, Eric Ainge, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Geno Smith, Tahj Boyd, Bryce Petty, Christin Hackenberg, Sam Darnold? 

None of them can carry Chads jock as a Jets QB, not even Sanchez, the "best" of a horrible bunch and the only one whose teams had any real success (despite Sanchez, mostly). 

So maybe liking (not worshiping) Chad, the best QB we've had in the last oh, 30 odd years, isn't so odd when you think about it.

But with that said, Chad isn't in the same ballpark as Kirk Cousins.  Cousins is materially better as a QB than Chad in almost every way.  Chad never sniffed 4,000 yards, or 30 TD's, and Cousins can produce that, on meh teams, in his sleep, and Cousins has been far more durable, and consistent in his production, than Chad in Chad's wildest dreams.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One could argue that Jeff Blake was better (drafted 1992), but he had all his play/success elsewhere.

Every other home-grown QB between Kenny O and Chad and then between Chad and today is worse. Most were much, much worse (excluding Wilson, who is TBD).

Bill Ransdall, Troy Taylor, Browning Nagle, Glenn Foley, Chuck Clements, Brooks Bollinger, Kellen Clemens, Brad Smith, Eric Ainge, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Geno Smith, Tahj Boyd, Bryce Petty, Christin Hackenberg, Sam Darnold? 

None of them can carry Chads jock as a Jets QB, not even Sanchez, the "best" of a horrible bunch and the only one whose teams had any real success (despite Sanchez, mostly). 

So maybe liking (not worshiping) Chad, the best QB we've had in the last oh, 30 odd years, isn't so odd when you think about it.

But with that said, Chad isn't in the same ballpark as Kirk Cousins.  Cousins is materially better as a QB than Chad in almost every way.  Chad never sniffed 4,000 yards, or 30 TD's, and Cousins can produce that, on meh teams, in his sleep, and Cousins has been far more durable, and consistent in his production, than Chad in Chad's wildest dreams.

See what I mean, folks?  The cult of Chad lives on in 2022.

Chad Pennington and Kirk Cousins are just a different level of the same thing:  QB purgatory.  A guy you stick with for way too long in the hopes that you can make deep playoff runs with them, but ultimately ends up disappointing you.

Was Chad Pennington better than Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, etc?  Of course he was.  I would never dispute that.  But at least with bad QB's, you tend to "fail quickly" and move on to someone else pretty quick.  But with Pennington we burned 8 years (yes, I include 2000-2001; he was a 1st round pick and the 1st QB taken in that 2000 class after all, so he was a long-term investment) before finally moving on, at least the latter few years of which where we could have been looking to acquire a QB who is actually capable of beating a good defense.  And in the process the team paid Pennington a lot of money in that span and pretty much wasted some talented rosters.

Even when Pennington won the division in Miami in 2008, a supposed "drop the mic" moment for Penningtologists, he needed a gimmicky offense carried by Ronnie Brown to get there, and then got embarrassed at home in the playoffs, with Pennington throwing 4 picks and fumbling in the 27-9 loss.  That's who Pennington ALWAYS was:  A guy who beat bad teams and gave you hope, only to fail miserably when it mattered most. 

And Kirk Cousins is very much in that category.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Was Chad Pennington better than Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, etc?  Of course he was.  I would never dispute that.

Most people, when they agree, just type a +1.

At no point did I call Chad great or anything close.  Nor did I call Cousins great.

They're just worlds better than every other QB we've drafted in 30+ years.  

But sure, noting this fact makes me in a "cult", got it. :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See what I mean, folks?  The cult of Chad lives on in 2022.

Chad Pennington and Kirk Cousins are just a different level of the same thing:  QB purgatory.  A guy you stick with for way too long in the hopes that you can make deep playoff runs with them, but ultimately ends up disappointing you.

Was Chad Pennington better than Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, etc?  Of course he was.  I would never dispute that.  But at least with bad QB's, you tend to "fail quickly" and move on to someone else pretty quick.  But with Pennington we burned 8 years (yes, I include 2000-2001; he was a 1st round pick and the 1st QB taken in that 2000 class after all, so he was a long-term investment) before finally moving on, at least the latter few years of which where we could have been looking to acquire a QB who is actually capable of beating a good defense.  And in the process the team paid Pennington a lot of money in that span and pretty much wasted some talented rosters.

Even when Pennington won the division in Miami in 2008, a supposed "drop the mic" moment for Penningtologists, he needed a gimmicky offense carried by Ronnie Brown to get there, and then got embarrassed at home in the playoffs, with Pennington throwing 4 picks and fumbling in the 27-9 loss.  That's who Pennington ALWAYS was:  A guy who beat bad teams and gave you hope, only to fail miserably when it mattered most. 

And Kirk Cousins is very much in that category.  

We drafted Chad in 2000.  He wasn't slated to start until 2003.  Vinny shat the bed in 2002 and he took over in 2002.   We used a 2 on Clemens in 2006 and a 1 on Sanchez in 2010.   Chad had no impact on our failure to upgrade the position.  The Jets weren't in draft position to take Eli, Rivers or Rothlisberger.

The NY Jets have been trying to replace the starting QB since 1977 when they traded Namath to the Rams.  Kenny was a good QB but he was a second tier good QB.  

Chad also put us in position to beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh and get us into the AFC finals with a shot for the SB until noodle leg shat the bed.  

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We drafted Chad in 2000.  He wasn't slated to start until 2003.  Vinny shat the bed in 2002 and he took over in 2002.   We used a 2 on Clemens in 2006 and a 1 on Sanchez in 2010.   Chad had no impact on our failure to upgrade the position.  The Jets weren't in draft position to take Eli, Rivers or Rothlisberger.

The NY Jets have been trying to replace the starting QB since 1977 when they traded Namath to the Rams.  Kenny was a good QB but he was a second tier good QB.  

Chad also put us in position to beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh and get us into the AFC finals with a shot for the SB until noodle leg shat the bed.  

Yeah Pitt was real scared of this:

FD019F7D-34CB-489D-8621-1AA0DA09A5FE.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Most of them are young and single and have a lot of money, and this time of year a lot of free time.

They probably know a lot of the other athletes from other teams in the same city, and being athletes they love sports and get caught up in the excitement and want to go watch the games.

Or it’s all publicity.

Exhibit A…

Exhibit B

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I consider myself a HUGE fan but I don't even own a jersey.  As a HS/college kid, I wore a Gilles Villemuere jersey. 

I own one jersey, game worn #11. Sits in my closet   Have it since I was a kid. Only other 2 jersey I ever owned were Sundstrom and Nedved. Both not so great choices. Especially considering I wanted beukeboom but kid upstairs had it, couldn’t copy him 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am not "most people" in any way, shape or form, sir.  

Hard to disagree with that, touché.

All I'll say is this, I can "like" Chad as a fan, and think he was the best of a bad bunch, and still know he wasn't a Franchise QB, wasn't great, and certainly wasn't good enough given the injuries especially.  These are not mutually exclusive feelings/opinions. 

Same goes for my view on Cousins.  He's clearly not a Super Bowl guy on his own, the same way Matt Stafford wasn't a Super Bowl QB till this year.  Put Cousins in the same spot as Stafford, I think Cousins could just as easily win a title.  On his own?  Nope.  But 4,200 passing yards and a 3:1 TD:INT ratio is a hell of alot better than anything we've ever had, and yes, I'd be happy with it.  Especially today, on a team now looking much more talented on offense.  Is it enough to win a title?  No idea, but it's a heck of alot better than 3,200 yards and a 1:2 or 1:1 TD:INT ratio, which is usually what we get as Jets Fans.  If Zach Wilson puts up 4,200 yards a a 30:10 TD:INT season I'll be mind boggled with happiness.  

I'm unmoved by the "immediate all or nothing" approach.  Matt Stafford is a great example.  The Lions didn't lose because of Matt Stafford, but the Rams could win it all in part because of Matt Stafford on a great roster.  You can win with a 1B-type QB in the NFL.  The Top 10-but-not-Elite type QB's.  Chasing only 1A is a nice idea, but you still have to play games till you find one, and I'm not a fan of going 2-13 every year in some effort to find one.  I like winning games and making the playoffs more than endless recycling and draft planning.  I'd prefer to run the 1B type guy and build the roster around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hard to disagree with that, touché.

All I'll say is this, I can "like" Chad as a fan, and think he was the best of a bad bunch, and still know he wasn't a Franchise QB, wasn't great, and certainly wasn't good enough given the injuries especially.  These are not mutually exclusive feelings/opinions. 

Same goes for my view on Cousins.  He's clearly not a Super Bowl guy on his own, the same way Matt Stafford wasn't a Super Bowl QB till this year.  Put Cousins in the same spot as Stafford, I think Cousins could just as easily win a title.  On his own?  Nope.  But 4,200 passing yards and a 3:1 TD:INT ratio is a hell of alot better than anything we've ever had, and yes, I'd be happy with it.  Especially today, on a team now looking much more talented on offense.  Is it enough to win a title?  No idea, but it's a heck of alot better than 3,200 yards and a 1:2 or 1:1 TD:INT ratio, which is usually what we get as Jets Fans.  If Zach Wilson puts up 4,200 yards a a 30:10 TD:INT season I'll be mind boggled with happiness.  

I'm unmoved by the "immediate all or nothing" approach.  Matt Stafford is a great example.  The Lions didn't lose because of Matt Stafford, but the Rams could win it all in part because of Matt Stafford on a great roster.  You can win with a 1B-type QB in the NFL.  The Top 10-but-not-Elite type QB's.  Chasing only 1A is a nice idea, but you still have to play games till you find one, and I'm not a fan of going 2-13 every year in some effort to find one.  I like winning games and making the playoffs more than endless recycling and draft planning.  I'd prefer to run the 1B type guy and build the roster around him.

Cousins and Pennington were never capable of making deep playoff runs, even on good/loaded teams.  You need look no further than their performances against top level teams and defenses for that.  They were/are atrocious in that category and that never bodes well for your chances.  

Stafford didn’t lack that ability, or at least we didn’t know if he lacked it while he was with Detroit.  He was never in the Cousins/Pennington category.  

I’m fine with the solid vet option if it’s the right one.  Cousins isn’t the type to go after.  Beating up on bad teams only gets you so far, and meanwhile you have to exhaust a lot of resources to get even that kind of QB.

9 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Actually they’re not “fans” of either team.

Zach is from Utah and Braxton is from Miami — they don’t give a crap about the NY metro hockey scene. They’re just celebrities having fun at a sports event.

Exactly……that and the fact they probably realised the Islanders are sh!t

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I grew up a NJ Devils fan and now live in NC, so this isn't hard for me at all.  Go Canes.

I grew up a Jets, Mets, Rangers & Knicks fan.

I'm in Florida full time now.  

I never say Go Fins, Marlins, Panthers or Heat.

Against my teams?  LOL, no.  Never

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Its a badge of honor to ridicule our good players, just because you think they weren't as good as some remember.  

Until Chad was injured, few if any were talking this way.  And one way to try to prove it is accuse those who thought he was good is to make them out to be part of some brain dead cult who liked that player without reason.  

Hence, the cult of Chad.  

On 5/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Sad but true.  There are STILL people on JN, in 2022, who worship at the altar of Chad Pennington, who is probably the most comparable QB to Kirk Cousins that I can think of.

@Irish Jet

I sometimes think life as a Jets fan must suck but then I remember there are Jets fans who hated the only good coach and QB we've had in the last 20 years and I feel better.