Jump to content

Jets wrongfully accused of offering the most lucrative contract in the 2022 Draft


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

CBS got their info from a Rich Cimini tweet which is wrong.  
 

Spotrac and OTC pull their info from what is submitted into the league. 

I'm willing to bet the Cimini Numbers are closer to what Gardner and his Agent were actually offered. Forces within the League found out about it and jumped on the Jets' Head forcing a renegotiation of sorts. Notice that Gardner's Signing Bonus, which is also the highest for this draft, did not change. So Gardner will have to give up some money in the form of Base Salary for the first 4 Years of the contract. Those are the numbers the Jets submitted to the League Office. Come the 2025-2026 Offseason there will be a quiet restructuring of the Option Year Terms to insert the 5 Million Dollars lost back into the Option Year Base Salary. In the long run it will help Gardner as it will raise his Base Salary going forward. That will be the point from which any negotiations start.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

The Patriot delegation has one word for you:  cheaters.

CBS quotes Rich Cimini and as much as you crap on him.  

Huh? Spotrac and OTC are in lock step with the correct number, pulled right from the league contract filings. 

https://overthecap.com/player/ahmad-gardner/10049/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/ahmad-gardner-76850/

Cimini over-reported the numbers initially, and now CBS, and Yahoo, and all these others seem to be re-reporting his bad info, which over-reported the signing bonus by ~$3.xM, which seems to be the discrepancy.

Interestingly, Cimini reported the Jermaine Johnson contract correctly, and referenced @spotrac in his Tweet. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/jermaine-johnson-76880/

The Gardner Tweet has no such reference; in his rush to be "first" I think Rich screwed the pooch. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

I'm willing to bet the Cimini Numbers are closer to what Gardner and his Agent were actually offered. Forces within the League found out about it and jumped on the Jets' Head forcing a renegotiation of sorts. Notice that Gardner's Signing Bonus, which is also the highest for this draft, did not change. So Gardner will have to give up some money in the form of Base Salary for the first 4 Years of the contract. Those are the numbers the Jets submitted to the League Office. Come the 2025-2026 Offseason there will be a quiet restructuring of the Option Year Terms to insert the 5 Million Dollars lost back into the Option Year Base Salary. In the long run it will help Gardner as it will raise his Base Salary going forward. That will be the point from which any negotiations start.

I'm not following... you say the signing bonus didn't change, but Cimini initially said the signing bonus was $25.3M.  Spotrac has the signing bonus as $21.5M. 

From Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/ahmad-gardner-76850/

Quote

Ahmad Gardner signed a 4 year, $33,450,801 contract with the New York Jets, including a $21,507,856 signing bonus, $33,450,801 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,362,700. In 2022, Gardner will earn a base salary of $705,000 and a signing bonus of $21,507,856, while carrying a cap hit of $6,081,964 and a dead cap value of $33,450,802.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

Huh? Spotrac and OTC are in lock step with the correct number, pulled right from the league contract filings. 

https://overthecap.com/player/ahmad-gardner/10049/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/ahmad-gardner-76850/

Cimini over-reported the numbers initially, and now CBS, and Yahoo, and all these others seem to be re-reporting his bad info, which over-reported the signing bonus by ~$3.xM, which seems to be the discrepancy.

Interestingly, Cimini reported the Jermaine Johnson contract correctly, and referenced @spotrac in his Tweet. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/jermaine-johnson-76880/

The Gardner Tweet has no such reference; in his rush to be "first" I think Rich screwed the pooch. 

 

Sportrac and OTC get their numbers from the League Office.

Cimini's twitter tweet regarding Gardner's Contract was published before the League released its figures.

Indiana Jet made two allegation without supplying hard evidence to support them.

1) CBS NFL obtained its numbers on the Ahmad Gardner Contract from Rich Cimini

2) Rich Cimini's numbers on the Ahmad Gardner contract are "over reported"

Cimini has not disclosed where he received the information on the Ahmad Gardner contract. Nor has CBS NFL disclosed where they got their figures on the Gardner Contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

Huh? Spotrac and OTC are in lock step with the correct number, pulled right from the league contract filings. 

https://overthecap.com/player/ahmad-gardner/10049/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/ahmad-gardner-76850/

Cimini over-reported the numbers initially, and now CBS, and Yahoo, and all these others seem to be re-reporting his bad info, which over-reported the signing bonus by ~$3.xM, which seems to be the discrepancy.

Interestingly, Cimini reported the Jermaine Johnson contract correctly, and referenced @spotrac in his Tweet. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/jermaine-johnson-76880/

The Gardner Tweet has no such reference; in his rush to be "first" I think Rich screwed the pooch. 

 

Dude, I am just yanking your chain, but if a team was going to find a loophole.  You know the Jets would.  Par$ells and the Jets did the Patriots' dirty with Curtis Martin way back in the day.  😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Dude, I am just yanking your chain, but if a team was going to find a loophole.  You know the Jets would.  Par$ells and the Jets did the Patriots' dirty with Curtis Martin way back in the day.  😉

You been in a coma?

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-report-patriots-spygate-scandal-2015-9?amp

 

 

The report details Spygate as we've never heard it, painting a picture of systematic cheating that went way further and looks way worse for the Patriots than people previously realized.

First, the Patriots had a detailed, efficient system for finding out opponents' plays. ESPN's Don Van Natta Jr. and Seth Wickersham describe a scene in Patriots coach Bill Belichick's office before a season-opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

"[A backup quarterback named John] Friesz was told that the Patriots had a tape of the Bucs' signals. He was instructed to memorize them, and during the game, to watch Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and tell [offensive coordinator Charlie] Weis the defensive play, which Weis would relay over the radio headset system to quarterback Drew Bledsoe."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Larz said:

You been in a coma?

https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-report-patriots-spygate-scandal-2015-9?amp

The report details Spygate as we've never heard it, painting a picture of systematic cheating that went way further and looks way worse for the Patriots than people previously realized.

First, the Patriots had a detailed, efficient system for finding out opponents' plays. ESPN's Don Van Natta Jr. and Seth Wickersham describe a scene in Patriots coach Bill Belichick's office before a season-opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

"[A backup quarterback named John] Friesz was told that the Patriots had a tape of the Bucs' signals. He was instructed to memorize them, and during the game, to watch Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and tell [offensive coordinator Charlie] Weis the defensive play, which Weis would relay over the radio headset system to quarterback Drew Bledsoe."

 

Meh.  The biggest takeaway I get from this and the actual Seth Wickersham article.  The Patriots did not use the signals in the same game as many Jets' fans argued years ago.  Acknowledgment that teams try to exploit the signal calling.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Meh.  The biggest takeaway I get from this and the actual Seth Wickersham article.  The Patriots did not use the signals in the same game as many Jets' fans argued years ago.  Acknowledgment that teams try to exploit the signal calling.   

I seize this opportunity to extend my unalloyed compliments of the new season to you and your family
hopping that this year will bring more joy, happiness and prosperity into your house hold.
I am certain that by the time you read this letter I might have already gone back to my country United
Kingdom. I visited South Africa during the New Year period and during my stay, I used the opportunity to
send you this letter believing that it will reach you in good state.
My name is Mr. Jerry Smith, I am the auditor and head of computing department of a bank here in United
Kingdom. I wish to inform you of a bank account that was opened in our bank since my inception into office
in 2001, and according to our record, it was evident that nobody has ever operated on this account since
then. I therefore took the courage to look for a reliable and honest person who will be capable for this
important transaction.
The owner of this money is Late Mr. Mutassim Billah Gaddafi, the son of Late Muammar Gadafi of
Libya; He was captured by anti-Gadafi forces later killed alongside with his father. No other person knows
about this money or anything concerning his account and the account has no next of kin and my
investigation further proved to me that his family and his country does not know anything about this
account.
I am therefore seeking for a reliable person that will play the human role as the next of kin to this fund
which is in the amount of £32,000,000.00 (Thirty Two Million Pounds Sterling). I have also discovered
that if I do not remit this money out urgently, it will be forfeited to the government treasury account as an
unclaimed fund.
Please respond immediately via my private email address:_jerrysmith@aol.com
I will use my position and influence to effect the legal approval and onward transfer of this fund into any
nominated bank account of your choice with appropriate clearance from foreign payment department
You will henceforth stand to get 35% while 5% shall be set aside for the expense that will be incurred
during the process, and 60% will be for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, WestCoastMole said:

The Jets signed Sauce Gardner to the most lucrative contract in the 2022 NFL Draft. 38.7 Million in Total Guaranteed Money and 25.3 Million in signing bonus tops both categories. The Runner-up in both categories is number 1 Draft pick Travon Walker at 37.37 Million in total guarantee money and 24.3 million in signing.

You can't accuse the Jets of being cheap. I'll bet there are a few GMs that are miffed at the Jets right about now.

I call it the "Derrele Revis effect".   When you believe you have the best cornerback, you take good care of him, so that he doesn't sit out of camp and demand more money.  The Jets learned a thing or two from the difficulties that they had with Revis, and perhaps they don't want to repeat them.  Now it will be up to Sauce to show the Jets that they did the right thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...