Lamar Jackson Gimmick QB (bye week)

Lamar presents a very specific, narrow challenge to defenses. They generally arent used to prepping for a guy who is so mobile and can bounce to the end zone on any play. The Jets have a huge advantage that this game is Week 1 . Its like having a 4 month long bye week to scheme and prepare for this unique Qb.  I think they revamped Jets D is well prepared and shuts this guy down week 1.

Jets 24

Ravens 10

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Lamar presents a very specific, narrow challenge to defenses. They generally arent used to prepping for a guy who is so mobile and can bounce to the end zone on any play. The Jets have a huge advantage that this game is Week 1 . Its like having a 4 month long bye week to scheme and prepare for this unique Qb.  I think they revamped Jets D is well prepared and shuts this guy down week 1.

Jets 24

Ravens 10

Lamar Jackson for his career completes 64% of his passes, with a better than 2-1 TD to INT ratio.   If he stayed healthy last year, he would have thrown for just over 4000 yards, albeit in a 17 game season.

Meanwhile, he is also a premier running back, with multiple 1000 yard seasons, averaging over 6 yards per carry. 

Oh, and the Jets defense was rated dead last in total yards allowed last year.   Yes, I expect them to be better, but a huge improvement, ie 1000 less yards allowed this year from last year, would have them ranked #18, which is still slightly below average.  

Add in to that the huge number of very young players on the roster, (who I expect to improve as the year goes on), I think the Jets will be in for a very challenging week 1.

• Upvote 1

It's such a huge advantage. There's literally no reason for the jets to even let them score. If they allow more than 3 then Saleh needs to go!

Some of ya'll are setting insane expectation again... and you'll freak out if they're not met.. again. Does running in that wheel not get tiring?

• Upvote 2

The lack of respect for Lamar Jackson is baffling. 

Look at his opening day resume. Heck, look at his resume overall. I pray for the day when Zach Wilson can be the “gimmick” QB that Jackson has become. Also, what gimmick are we talking about here? Scoring touchdowns? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's try a different thought process here.

This is a QB who in the past three seasons during Week 1 never threw an INT and passed for 9 TDs.  Now, let's give HIM 4 months to prepare for a Jets defense.  

Frankly, I hope that the Ravens spend 4 months looking at tape of the Jets defense.  The more they look at last season's performance, the more overconfident they'll get.  Plus, the 2021 Jets D will look very different from this year's model, with at least 50% of this year's starters being different than last year's. 

Maybe they can gameplan against general tendencies of a Saleh/Ulbrich defense, but plays they draw up to beat the 2021 Jets D may not be as successful with better players executing the defense.  Plus, with the improved talent, particularly in the secondary, Ulbrich may be able to open up the defensive playbook more and show looks that weren't utilized much or at all last year.

This is not to say that I expect Jackson and the Ravens offense to be shut down, but I'd give the "4 month prep" advantage to the Jets in this case.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Frankly, I hope that the Ravens spend 4 months looking at tape of the Jets defense.  The more they look at last season's performance, the more overconfident they'll get.  Plus, the 2021 Jets D will look very different from this year's model, with at least 50% of this year's starters being different than last year's. 

Maybe they can gameplan against general tendencies of a Saleh/Ulbrich defense, but plays they draw up to beat the 2021 Jets D may not be as successful with better players executing the defense.  Plus, with the improved talent, particularly in the secondary, Ulbrich may be able to open up the defensive playbook more and show looks that weren't utilized much or at all last year.

This is not to say that I expect Jackson and the Ravens offense to be shut down, but I'd give the "4 month prep" advantage to the Jets in this case.

Agree 100% with what I highlighted.  Very different defense, probably at least 5 new starters which is almost 50% of the D.  With that said, this D hasn't played together before and those new parts (including some key rookies) will take some time to gel.  It's a tall order to face a Lamar Jackson right off the bat in Week 1 because you can't really slip on more than a play or two.  You need to be tight with assignments, run fits, discipline, etc.  Otherwise Lamar finds a crease, a rookie mistake.... and he's gone to the house.

To the general idea of this thread that Week 1 is a good thing for the Jets, I'd argue the opposite.  Instead of 4 months to plan for Lamar Jackson I'd prefer to have the Jets get 8 games under their belt as a defense before they had to face him.  Maybe that's just me.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Jets 24

Ravens 10

I’m pretty sure they have won’t be doing that for 4 months. And correct me if I’m wrong, don’t the Ravens also have 4 months to prep for our all world QB? As for the game, I think It’ll be close and Ravens win on a quick last minute FG. 

My guess is the Ravens will run the ball and play hard-nosed D focused around getting Zach out of rhythm and stuffing the run. 

I also think Lamar has become a better passing QB and will probably make it a bigger part of his game this season. 

This will be a hard fought game but I don't see the Jets winning. Certainly not by 2 TDs. If anything they might squeak it out by a few points. 

It will be interesting to see how our defense is deployed against a team like Baltimore with such a great running threat at QB but very little game breaking ability on the outside.  To me, its a great opportunity to use Hall as our nickel back.

Playing a 4-2-5 with Hall at the nickel allows to keep 2 run stoppers at LB in Mosley and Quincy.  We can rotate 4 defensive lineman all game and should be able to utilize someone like Kyle Phillips to help in the run game.  

Most importantly Whitehead can do what he does best and play in the box as a LB and leave Sauce and DJ alone on the outside with Hall playing as the nickel against Andrews.  Andrews is a beast of a matchup for anyone but at least Hall has some size at 6'1 to keep pace in the middle of the field.  

I sincerely hope that Saleh and Ulbrich drafted Sauce with the thought in mind that he can be left on an island so that other players can provide help in zone or vs the run and this should be a great opportunity to do that

7 hours ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Jets 24

Ravens 10

I will say this. Even before the injury Lamar was not being as effective as he was in years past. His style of play is unsustainable long term

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BCJet said:

It will be interesting to see how our defense is deployed against a team like Baltimore with such a great running threat at QB but very little game breaking ability on the outside.  To me, its a great opportunity to use Hall as our nickel back.

Playing a 4-2-5 with Hall at the nickel allows to keep 2 run stoppers at LB in Mosley and Quincy.  We can rotate 4 defensive lineman all game and should be able to utilize someone like Kyle Phillips to help in the run game.  

Most importantly Whitehead can do what he does best and play in the box as a LB and leave Sauce and DJ alone on the outside with Hall playing as the nickel against Andrews.  Andrews is a beast of a matchup for anyone but at least Hall has some size at 6'1 to keep pace in the middle of the field.  

I sincerely hope that Saleh and Ulbrich drafted Sauce with the thought in mind that he can be left on an island so that other players can provide help in zone or vs the run and this should be a great opportunity to do that

He might put both Reed and Sauce on Islands for more than just the Ravens game.

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's such a huge advantage. There's literally no reason for the jets to even let them score. If they allow more than 3 then Saleh needs to go!

Some of ya'll are setting insane expectation again... and you'll freak out if they're not met.. again. Does running in that wheel not get tiring?

This is some really solid sarcasm. Nice job J! 

8 hours ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Jets 24

Ravens 10

Interesting...

Ravens 32

Jets 17

• 3 months later...