Former scout hates Jermaine Johnson - anyone see this?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well parroting what 500 more-famous websites & commentators have already said probably doesn't generate as many clicks ;)

gotta appreciate Kelly's ability to find different ways to look at an issue

if you want to realize the true troll talent of this dude, look at his Easter Day comments about Aaron Hernandez. A player who he's got tattooed on his hand... for loving Jesus? 

yeah i don't get it either. but these aren't just hot takes they are surface of the sun takes  and that's worth something 

• Haha 2

Dorian Boose after failing the the NFL came up to the CFL and played for my home town team the Edmonton Eskimos (name since changed to Elks).   He had one really really good year, looked like a great find and there was lots of optimism for the next year but he was not in shape, rumors of drug problems and he got cut the next year.

From a news story about him.

"Boose’s tenure in the CFL was even shorter and more contradictory. He played 16 games and was a star of the week three times for the Eskimos in 2003 as they rolled toward that Grey Cup win. Just one off-season later, he was expendable, cut in October 2004 by then-head coach Tom Higgins after showing up out of shape in training camp and playing in just three games all season.

Boose didn’t play again in the CFL. He didn’t go home to Washington state, where his brothers Eric, Zachary and Joseph and his parents Joseph and Evelyn still live. He didn’t return to his boys in Centreville, Va. And he divorced Brenda (who kept her married name).

The best guess is that Boose never left Edmonton. He was known to be working construction at times, living on the street and in the North Saskatchewan River valley at others, or in social housing or with friends.

Eskimos teammates said he showed no obvious signs of drug or alcohol abuse while he was on the team, quite the opposite in fact, but at some point after his football career ended, he began using intravenous drugs.

On Nov. 22, 2016, 12 years after his last football game, a year after refusing to enter a treatment program for drug addiction, Boose hanged himself in a south-side Edmonton home, where sources said he was discovered by his then-girlfriend.

He was 42."

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dorian Boose after failing the the NFL came up to the CFL and played for my home town team the Edmonton Eskimos (name since changed to Elks).   He had one really really good year, looked like a great find and there was lots of optimism for the next year but he was not in shape, rumors of drug problems and he got cut the next year.

"Boose’s tenure in the CFL was even shorter and more contradictory. He played 16 games and was a star of the week three times for the Eskimos in 2003 as they rolled toward that Grey Cup win. Just one off-season later, he was expendable, cut in October 2004 by then-head coach Tom Higgins after showing up out of shape in training camp and playing in just three games all season.

Boose didn’t play again in the CFL. He didn’t go home to Washington state, where his brothers Eric, Zachary and Joseph and his parents Joseph and Evelyn still live. He didn’t return to his boys in Centreville, Va. And he divorced Brenda (who kept her married name).

The best guess is that Boose never left Edmonton. He was known to be working construction at times, living on the street and in the North Saskatchewan River valley at others, or in social housing or with friends.

Eskimos teammates said he showed no obvious signs of drug or alcohol abuse while he was on the team, quite the opposite in fact, but at some point after his football career ended, he began using intravenous drugs.

On Nov. 22, 2016, 12 years after his last football game, a year after refusing to enter a treatment program for drug addiction, Boose hanged himself in a south-side Edmonton home, where sources said he was discovered by his then-girlfriend.

He was 42."

Wow Beerfish.  Didn't know that. Very sad. If anybody else reads this, we all need to know that Johnny Lam Jones died a few weeks ago. Don't think that was posted. Could be wrong. I'm not into thread making.

Greg Cossell loved JJ. So there is a chance he will be really good and a chance he will not translate well to the NFL. I do think that of our picks he is still the most risky. I liked 4 and 10 but I would have preferred we did not trade up for him.

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Jermaine Johnson may be a stud or he may bust.  Nobody knows until the pads start popping.

Or he can be something in between. Good player who has a solid, if unspectacular, career in the league for 10 years. If he is playing  70-80% of snaps and stays healthy, then I think it was a solid pick at 26. Hopefully he’ll see a 2nd contract and have a Brian Thomas or Ellis floor.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was 42."

Must have had some type of bi-polar depression or other issue.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

So do you have a problem with what he said or do you have a problem with someone posting something that doesn't say JD is God?

Im sorry, I didnt read anything in his blog that said JD isnt God, just he doesnt agree with one of JDs picks.

12 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

So this guy didn't like Dorian Boose.

Did he find us anyone good?

Sorry but an ex Jets scout who now blogs about football for likely little to no money isn't exactly someone I'd listen to over guys who are currently employed.

Exactly, claiming you were against the Boose pick, which cant be confirmed is the easy part and means nothing.  He could have been banging the table for someone equally bad.  Want to impress us, prove that you were screaming for someone who ultimately made the HOF.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly, claiming you were against the Boose pick, which cant be confirmed is the easy part and means nothing.  He could have been banging the table for someone equally bad.  Want to impress us, prove that you were screaming for someone who ultimately made the HOF.

That would make zero difference  even if it was possible to prove this either way which it isn't. It is pretty well documented that Bradway was banging the so called table for Russell Wilson, yet Bradway was demoted to a scout and now is universally  loathed by most Jet fans. If people believe  JJ is the next coming, it wouldn't matter if the guy was screaming at the top of his lungs to draft Sapp instead Kyle Brady, people will be negative towards him becaise it doesn't fit their narative.. Being a scout, there is only so much you can do. You go out and make a report good or bad, but if the reports are not acted on as they were meant to be, I doubt that is the scouts fault. 

This morning Marc Ross, a former Giants front office guy who helped build their SB teams, was on the Play Like a Jet podcast saying how much he LOVED Johnson.  In terms of credentials, he wins over this unemployed scout.  But there is certainly room for differences of opinion.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

To be fair, I think everybody can say they were screaming for Payton Manning.  Except maybe Parcells. 

• Upvote 1

The guy seems bitter but it was odd that JJ fell so low. The jets traded up to get him but if they did not, who is to say he wouldn’t have fallen out of the first round? We really need this guy to be a hit but with the position being so important in todays NFL, 25 teams passed on him and didn’t think he was worth taking in the first round.  With how expensive the position has gotten, you can argue that even if you’re set at the position, you can still take a pass rusher high and let the high dollar guys walk in FA. Time will tell but it was clear on draft day that not everyone was as high on him as the jets were.

I think there is some truth to what this guy says.  Johnson is a plus athlete, but a little stiff and maybe not the freak first step type of guy.  OTOH, Polite was a freak first step guy, so that is no guarantee.  Maybe not a natural pass rusher, but a worker that will keep coming.  I think his sacks to pressures might bear this out.  He also plays the run which is something they might care about more than a pure DPR.  Honestly, it sounds a bunch like Lawson to me.  Clemons sounds almost the same, just in a lesser prospect.  I think they are looking for these guys.  They fill the team with all motor athletes and guys will keep coming at you.  They spread things out and then sprint to the gaps.  It doesn't work until the field is full of those swarming guys.  Then they rotate them so they are never tired and they will wear an offense out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Every time I look at jets news there is always an article about a former jets scout who has some sh*t to say about a decision the team makes. Idk who this scout is but 1. No one cares about what he has to say 2. He always says something negative and 3. If he has been a scout for the jets in the past 10 years or so then he is probably a terrible scout  looking at the draft picks. Probably just needs some cash cause no one wants to hire him. 

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

So do you have a problem with what he said or do you have a problem with someone posting something that doesn't say JD is God?

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Did you read something  that said he was God?

just you bringing it up