The surprisingly crazy numbers behind NY Jets OT Max Mitchell

George Fant extension is not going to happen. JD is still emotionally invested in Becton as an LT and even more than that the idea of an Becton-AVT duo on the left side. 

They are going to let Fant play out his 10 mil at right tackle (where he's not as good as he is at LT) and wait for Max Mitchell to emerge, ideally in year 2 after putting 20 pounds of rip on his frame. 

As for Mitchell the article is fair but it's worth repeating, he played no one's and nobodies in the Sun Belt. It's a big step up to Myles Garrett and TJ Watt in the first month of the season 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Being committed to Becton totally depends on what happens this year.  No way Douglas commits to him if he has a season like last year.

By that you mean no season at all, right?

• Upvote 1

Extending Fant, even for just one year (2023), would be a smart move and give the Jets some optionality on Mitchell's development and Becton's cream cheesiness factor (as T0m describes it).  Get Fant a raise (he deserves it) and let him know he'd be guaranteed some money and commitment from the Jets so that he doens't have to worry about a Marcus Maye situation and getting hurt in a contract year.  This just seems like something that could get done.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

But if they are committed to the Becton/AVT duo, that implies Becton will play RT and Fant will stay at LT, since we already know AVT is playing right guard. 

10 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

AVT is RG there Bevis

forgot that laken and avt are two different people 

Both left guards wearing 75

Imagine they do all this and avt struggles with rg? 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

forgot that laken and avt are two different people 

Both left guards wearing 75

Imagine they do all this and avt struggles with rg? 

It's possible, but I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about Becton struggling at RT. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It's possible, but I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about Becton struggling at RT. 

Played there quite a bit in college.  That should help with the move.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Extending Fant, even for just one year (2023), would be a smart move and give the Jets some optionality on Mitchell's development and Becton's cream cheesiness factor (as T0m describes it).  Get Fant a raise (he deserves it) and let him know he'd be guaranteed some money and commitment from the Jets so that he doens't have to worry about a Marcus Maye situation and getting hurt in a contract year.  This just seems like something that could get done.

Optionality!  How much do you think a Fant extension would cost?  The tag is about $16M.  I think they might just go there if they feel they must.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Optionality!  How much do you think a Fant extension would cost?  The tag is about $16M.  I think they might just go there if they feel they must.

I honestly don't know what Fant is looking for but he probably has some competing objectives.  On one hand he played most of the year at Left Tackle... and he played well.  He could argue for mid-range starting LT money and a multi-year deal.  At the same time the Jets feel that a healthy Becton is a bona fide starting LT.  They saw it his rookie year, but the question is Becton's health/availability.  So there's some game theory going on and I think both Fant and the Jets want different kinds of insurance.... Fant against getting hurt while in the last year of a deal, the Jets against Becton fizzling out.

From the Fant perspective - He's playing out the final year so there's injury risk (like we saw with Marcus Maye).  He'd be smart to take an extension that guaranteed some money and came in under the franchise tag #.  But, he also knows that if he plays out another very good season at LT he will make big $$$ in FA just 10 months from now.

From the Jets perspective - JD is economical (I didn't say cheap. lol).  He drafted a developmental OT in Mitchell and in an ideal world the Jets would see Becton play well and stay healthy with Mitchell showing he could become a starting RT by 2023.  That might let them see Fant walk.  But there's a serious risk for the Jets... what if Becton underperforms or gets hurt again?  what if Mitchell shows he's nothing better than a guy who might compete to replace Conor McDermott?  In that case the Jets might have ZERO starting OTs if Fant walks.  (It's a big reason I thought Ekwonu was in serious consideration at #4 for the Jets)

I'd try to ink Fant right now before the season starts.  Guarantee some money in 2023 and give him playing time incentives, basically put a clause in there that inserts some kind of bonus ($200K?) for every game he starts at LT instead of RT.  Fant might take a deal that guarantees money both in this year and 2023, and gives him some upside if he's playing LT.  With the Jets cap situation I'd think this would be money well spent. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly don't know what Fant is looking for but he probably has some competing objectives.  On one hand he played most of the year at Left Tackle... and he played well.  He could argue for mid-range starting LT money and a multi-year deal.  At the same time the Jets feel that a healthy Becton is a bona fide starting LT.  They saw it his rookie year, but the question is Becton's health/availability.  So there's some game theory going on and I think both Fant and the Jets want different kinds of insurance.... Fant against getting hurt while in the last year of a deal, the Jets against Becton fizzling out.

From the Fant perspective - He's playing out the final year so there's injury risk (like we saw with Marcus Maye).  He'd be smart to take an extension that guaranteed some money and came in under the franchise tag #.  But, he also knows that if he plays out another very good season at LT he will make big $$$ in FA just 10 months from now.

From the Jets perspective - JD is economical (I didn't say cheap. lol).  He drafted a developmental OT in Mitchell and in an ideal world the Jets would see Becton play well and stay healthy with Mitchell showing he could become a starting RT by 2023.  That might let them see Fant walk.  But there's a serious risk for the Jets... what if Becton underperforms or gets hurt again?  what if Mitchell shows he's nothing better than a guy who might compete to replace Conor McDermott?  In that case the Jets might have ZERO starting OTs if Fant walks.  (It's a big reason I thought Ekwonu was in serious consideration at #4 for the Jets)

I'd try to ink Fant right now before the season starts.  Guarantee some money in 2023 and give him playing time incentives, basically put a clause in there that inserts some kind of bonus ($200K?) for every game he starts at LT instead of RT.  Fant might take a deal that guarantees money both in this year and 2023, and gives him some upside if he's playing LT.  With the Jets cap situation I'd think this would be money well spent. 

Might be.  Nothing wrong with the idea.  Still the LT tag is suppressed because it covers all O-line.  That is hwy you tag an LT and not a G, C or even RT.  Fant might want more than that, especially with a short or one year extension.

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2022 at 3:15 PM, bitonti said:

George Fant extension is not going to happen. JD is still emotionally invested in Becton as an LT and even more than that the idea of an Becton-AVT duo on the left side. 

They are going to let Fant play out his 10 mil at right tackle (where he's not as good as he is at LT) and wait for Max Mitchell to emerge, ideally in year 2 after putting 20 pounds of rip on his frame. 

As for Mitchell the article is fair but it's worth repeating, he played no one's and nobodies in the Sun Belt. It's a big step up to Myles Garrett and TJ Watt in the first month of the season 

I’m not so sure about the bold part. Prior to the last 2 seasons Fant hasn’t had many starting reps at tackle. He’s been improving every year and still developing his skill set. Who knows how he would have done if he played RT last year or how he’ll do this year if that’s where he plays. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Remember when you used to talk all that crap about Kevin Mawae? You called him lazy and not worth the money I believe.

Then we were at that Jets event and Kevin Mawae knew all of our usernames and he said to me, hey Max tell Tom Shane to come up from the bar and see me.

I told you and you started to tremble and shake. It was the second time I saw you scared that day, the first was when a Steelers fans yelled and you wept.

Anyhow Mawae made the Hall of Fame. So keep blasting Becton, thank you.

There should be a book discussing the formation of this site and all these stories. It wouldn't sell, but it should exist.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Remember when you used to talk all that crap about Kevin Mawae? You called him lazy and not worth the money I believe.

Then we were at that Jets event and Kevin Mawae knew all of our usernames and he said to me, hey Max tell Tom Shane to come up from the bar and see me.

I told you and you started to tremble and shake. It was the second time I saw you scared that day, the first was when a Steelers fans yelled and you wept.

Did you ever find out who Mawae was on JN (If he had an account)?

On 5/17/2022 at 4:00 PM, Hex said:

By that you mean no season at all, right?

Not necessarily.  How about if he plays the first 2 games, gets injured in game #3, misses the next 8 games, and plays the rest of the way?  There are too many variables to consider before committing to Becton for a new extended contract going forward.  This will be his "prove it" year.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hex said:

Did you ever find out who Mawae was on JN (If he had an account)?

I don't think he actually posted. He read though, pretty sure he read everything. He knew poster names off the top of his head and could recall things they wrote about him.

@TomShane it is safe to come out of hiding now.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, joebabyny said:

There should be a book discussing the formation of this site and all these stories. It wouldn't sell, but it should exist.

The real book, that would sell. Could never publish that one though lol. But it would sell.  :)

Seems like a strange theory when they seem to be planning to play AVT at RG.  Doesn't that work against your wonder twins theory?

23 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I’m not so sure about the bold part. Prior to the last 2 seasons Fant hasn’t had many starting reps at tackle. He’s been improving every year and still developing his skill set. Who knows how he would have done if he played RT last year or how he’ll do this year if that’s where he plays. 

Fant had 24 starts and well over a thousand snaps at T before he came to the Jets.  He started ten games at LT as a rookie in 2016, and filled in when Brown was hurt in 2018 and 2019

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like a strange theory when they seem to be planning to play AVT at RG.  Doesn't that work against your wonder twins theory?

Fant had 24 starts and well over a thousand snaps at T before he came to the Jets.  He started ten games at LT as a rookie in 2016, and filled in when Brown was hurt in 2018 and 2019

So 24 starts in 8 years prior to joining the jets is substantial to you? In college he started 2 games as a tight end and 0 as tackle in 5 years. Without a doubt he’s still developing because prior to coming into the league he barely played any football 

On 5/18/2022 at 10:33 PM, Maxman said:

Imagine what Mawae would do to a teammate like Becton.

9 hours ago, BurntDice said:

So 24 starts in 8 years prior to joining the jets is substantial to you? In college he started 2 games as a tight end and 0 as tackle in 5 years. Without a doubt he’s still developing because prior to coming into the league he barely played any football 

The guy started 10 games at LT in 2016.  This will be his 7th year in an NFL program.  He played 5 years for Tom Cable.  He is closer to aging out than developing, and I say that as someone that really liked signing him. 

I agree with you, and only if Mitchell emerges as you have suggested.  Fant is a good tackle, but he's not good enough to give a 3 year, $45M extension to.  Now, if he wants to sign a 3 year $30M contract extension with the Jets, that might be a possibility.  Right now, its too hard to say.

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I forgot avt was switching sides. 

But to the greater point we do not know who is starting at right tackle, the best lineman from last year is swapping sides, these are not storylines that top 10 groups have.

Lets go man by man. Avt is great and also learning right guard. Fine that will probably be fine. 

The Laken addition should be a huge improvement and the fact that SF and NYJ run the exact same offense is huge. Let's assume that the guards are great. 

but no one knows what to expect out of Becton. Connor is nothing special and tbh neither is George Fant. Fant is overrated because of his pff pass blocking scores. He's also never made it a full season uninjured. Max Mitchell is a year away. 

They don't really have a pipeline at center. 

All told, it's an OK group. Not terrible, not great. 

• Sympathy 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:33 PM, Maxman said:

I told you and you started to tremble and shake.

Can you share the rest of the story?  What happened next?