ESPN: Jets the 31st best team in the NFL

22 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

we have a suspect QB 

This is huge. None of us know what we have in ZW yet. Lots of smart video junkies don't pan out. (I personally think he's going to be a stud, but it's just as easy for him to flop. I believe over half of first round QBs fail).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Quick, everyone weep like there’s a ghost pepper in your gash!!!

😭🌶🐈‍⬛

Speaking of hot sauce. This is one of the best I’ve tried. It’s not overly hot and absolutely delicious. Just don’t put it on your balls, it burns like a son of a bitch. 

F5833E47-E5F1-4BF8-A12B-9CD073A13FB2.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Whatever. We weren't even the 31st worse team last year 

If you base it on point differential we were.  And it wasn't particularly close between us and # 30, either:

32.  Jaguars:  -204

31.  Jets:  -194

30.  Texans:  -172

29.  Giants:  -158

28.  Falcons:  -146

27.  Lions - 142

26.  Panthers:  -100

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don’t understand why anyone cares. Between this and the Brady Quinn thread. It’s all meaningless. The only thing that matters is performance on the field.

BUT that's what ESPN is using as a barometer.  Wins/Losses, factually stated, we are basically a bottom 3 team last 4-5 years.  This site is a fan site, not exactly neutral. Until we win games, we are what our record says we are. The country by in large thinks only the Jags are worse.  2022 Needs to prove them wrong.

• Upvote 2

I can't wait for training camp to start.  I hate this part of the year, where its all hot takes, puff stories and recycled opinion content from the draft weekend

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

BUT that's what ESPN is using as a barometer.  Wins/Losses, factually stated, we are basically a bottom 3 team last 4-5 years.  This site is a fan site, not exactly neutral. Until we win games, we are what our record says we are. The country by in large thinks only the Jags are worse.  2022 Needs to prove them wrong.

Is it?  Or is it some voodoo number of how theyre predicting teams would do against the average NFL team on a neutral field?  Given no team plays 17 games on a neutral field as starters, how does this predict anything of value and where does it say it has anything to do with the last 4-5 years, which would make it even more of a fantasy.  

What did the Jags do that made them improve so much? They had a mediocre draft and overspent in FA like my mother-in-law at World Market the weekend before Thanksgiving. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you base it on point differential we were.  And it wasn't particularly close between us and # 30, either:

27.  Lions - 142

That is true, but ESPN is not basing it on that. Being objective, there is no way Jets are #31 with the free agents they signed plus the draft they had if forecasting for this year coming up. If one says Zach, then how are the Bears not bottom 3 with Fields as he looked just as lost last year?  Hope the coach is telling the players to not pay attention to these sports channels and sites, as the Jets are the low hanging fruit (deserving can argue) and when all else fails they'll mock the Jets to get opposing fan bases to click in and laugh and/or Jet fans riled up.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

27.  Lions - 142

Except this is a projection forward based on FA and the draft. The question would be whether for example we improved relative to the Texans, Jags, Giants, Lions, etc.

And by your logic, how are the Gints at 22? Unless you're a fanboy, which Seth Walder is.

6 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Except this is a projection forward based on FA and the draft. The question would be whether for example we improved relative to the Texans, Jags, Giants, Lions, etc.

And by your logic, how are the Gints at 22? Unless you're a fanboy, which Seth Walder is.

It's heavily weighted toward past performance early in the season. If it's used the same way as college FPI it won't be until like six weeks into the season that it no longer is factoring in 2021 performance into their numbers.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Is it?  Or is it some voodoo number of how theyre predicting teams would do against the average NFL team on a neutral field?  Given no team plays 17 games on a neutral field as starters, how does this predict anything of value and where does it say it has anything to do with the last 4-5 years, which would make it even more of a fantasy.  

Like I said... NOT a neutral field.  We haven't done anything  in 5 years.  THAT is what the country see's.

LOL 

I don't know how good the Jets record will be but there is no way the Jets will be the 31st best team in the league, ahead of only the Bears. The Seahawks are a team in complete rebuild mode and have a brutal schedule. Any way you slice it, I don't see them being ahead of the Jets. just one example. 

Hawks play: Cards x2, Rams x2, Niners x2, Broncos, Chargers, Bucs, Chiefs, Jets...then some easier teams in the Falcons, Lions, Saints, Giants, Raiders, Panthers. Absolutely brutal. I'm predicting 4 wins for them. 

2 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

That is true, but ESPN is not basing it on that. Being objective, there is no way Jets are #31 with the free agents they signed plus the draft they had if forecasting for this year coming up. If one says Zach, then how are the Bears not bottom 3 with Fields as he looked just as lost last year?  Hope the coach is telling the players to not pay attention to these sports channels and sites, as the Jets are the low hanging fruit (deserving can argue) and when all else fails they'll mock the Jets to get opposing fan bases to click in and laugh and/or Jet fans riled up.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I wasn't arguing we are # 31 this year.  I was arguing against the point that the poster stated:  That we were better than the # 31 team LAST season.  Not really, no.  We may have ended up with the 4th pick, but that doesn't mean we were # 29.

It doesnt matter what ESPN thinks but for argument sake ESPN believes the Jaguars are better than the Jets yet the Jets beat them head to head last season, the Jags have a new system and new HC, the Jets added 3 first round picks and the top RB in the draft, and added a prow bowl guard while securing other areas of need? And the Jets beat the Texans in Houston head to head? Got it.