Rumor: Deshaun Watson 3-4 week suspension

5 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Does Baker play QB if Watson misses any games?

If I were browns leadership... no. 

Baker set that bridge on fire immediately followed by the browns dropping a nuke on that bridge.  

Just from a leadership perspective I think the browns have to tread lightly here as thier decisions impact a lot more than baker.  I wouldn't want to raise that kind of hate, discontent and question into the team. 

• Upvote 2

They're not keeping him for that lol. They're keeping him cause they can't get rid of him.  no one wants the cap hit... 

Thier attempts to get rid of him are really well documented outside of me.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, PorP said:

They're not keeping him for that lol. They're keeping him cause they can't get rid of him.  no one wants the cap hit... 

Thier attempts to get rid of him are really well documented outside of me.

Both the Browns and Niners overestimated the desire among teams for QBs that are (at best) slightly above average starters. Similar thing happened in the draft. Teams are figuring out that it’s significantly better to tank than it is to tie yourself to a QB who can’t carry you to a Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Both the Browns and Niners overestimated the desire among teams for QBs that are (at best) slightly above average starters. Similar thing happened in the draft. Teams are figuring out that it’s significantly better to tank than it is to tie yourself to a QB who can’t carry you to a Super Bowl. 

All true.  But I also think teams don't want to bring that toxicity into the locker room.  I think right/ wrong people were soured by the baker / OBJ thing.  Add to that bakers mouth about trade early in the off-season combined with what you said  and boom... Falcons. Panthers and steelers all opt for QBs that are probably a little less talented than baker. 

6 minutes ago, PorP said:

All true.  But I also think teams don't want to bring that toxicity into the locker room.  I think right/ wrong people were soured by the baker / OBJ thing.  Add to that bakers mouth about trade early in the off-season combined with what you said  and boom... Falcons. Panthers and steelers all opt for QBs that are probably a little less talented than baker. 

Maybe? I would imagine that those teams (and Seattle) are making the calculation that they’d rather take a shot at Bryce Young or CJ Stroud next April than throw a bunch of cash at Baker or Garoppolo in an attempt to eek out 8-9 wins. On the other hand, Cleveland could be thinking that they can squeeze a better deal out of someone if/when some contender with an older QB1 (Colts or Vikings-type) gets to the middle of camp and decides their backup can’t play.

“These women have alleged assault in their pleadings. I was speaking in a hypothetical situation. If there is a consensual sexual encounter after a massage, that is not a crime nor the basis for a civil lawsuit. I was not talking about what Deshaun did or did not do or expected or did not expect.’’

But yes, Buzbee is the villain here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Garoppolo has no guaranteed money coming this year. A team can negotiate an extension with him before trading - if he’ll be willing to play ball. Might be his preference to to force SF to cut him. The holdup with him is that he’s still rehabbing. Mayfield has that $18M albatross attached to him. Browns will be lucky to get a seventh round pick while picking up half of that. Seattle makes sense for him, SF won’t send Garoppolo their way, but they have no reason to be in any hurry. The Panthers are the only other team in the market. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:
14 hours ago, johnnysd said:
I think prostitution laws are among the most idiotic laws in the world, but we are not talking about consensual "happy endings" anyway. We are talking about coercive sexual assault which is pretty much illegal everywhere. If Watson's team goes down the sex work path it would end badly for them.  I get this feeling sometimes that another foot will drop in this case

Gonna be tough... near impossible... to prove sexual assault.

Again it does not need to be proven. It just needs to be more likely than not. Not sure why people dont get this

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Garoppolo has no guaranteed money coming this year. A team can negotiate an extension with him before trading - if he’ll be willing to play ball. Might be his preference to to force SF to cut him. The holdup with him is that he’s still rehabbing. Mayfield has that $18M albatross attached to him. Browns will be lucky to get a seventh round pick while picking up half of that. Seattle makes sense for him, SF won’t send Garoppolo their way, but they have no reason to be in any hurry. The Panthers are the only other team in the market. 

RE: Garopollo, he’s slated to get around $24 million this year and any extension will likely be in that range, you’d think. Still a pricey guy. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

RE: Garopollo, he’s slated to get around $24 million this year and any extension will likely be in that range, you’d think. Still a pricey guy. 

I think he and the 49ers are both pretty screwed. Carolina is really the only possible destination in a trade, and they have to know that. Can’t see them giving up much either in trade compensation or salary. Having to just cut him is a real possibility, one that gives them that full $24M in cap relief. Problem with that is that his first choice would probably be Seattle, and that’s not what the 49ers would want at all. Hence the holdup. Everyone is waiting each other out, with SF having the deadline of needing him off their roster by opening day. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Again it does not need to be proven. It just needs to be more likely than not. Not sure why people dont get this

isnt that crazy though. OJ beat his criminal case yet a civil court found him guilty and all he has to do is paid them money. is that all that civil court is? to get paid.? cant send nobody to jail.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

im not surprised and expect to see more women join the lawsuit now that the criminal case is done. like Johnnys said above you dont need proof. maybe thats why they didnt join the criminal suit. but now the more women there are the more likely it would seem that Watson did it. its time to get paid. unless im wrong thats what civil court is all about at the end of the day. i know some women said they didnt want the money or whatever but nobody is going to turn down the money.

23 hours ago, doitny said:

your joking right?

how can you do anything to the Browns when the NFL allowed Watson to be in the league. if you remember nobody traded for Watson until after he was not charged in criminal court. and the NFL allowed it to happened. and the NFL approves every contract in the league so they cant punish them for a contract they said was fine.

I was making a point.   The NFL punishing Watson as the right thing to do based on some moral or ethical retribution is absurd.   The NFL is about making money.   The owner of the Browns and the league gave and approved a contract that gave Watson everything he wanted.  Watson has actually profited off his behavior aided and abetted by the league and one of the leagues owners.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I was making a point.   The NFL punishing Watson as the right thing to do based on some moral or ethical retribution is absurd.   The NFL is about making money.   The owner of the Browns and the league gave and approved a contract that gave Watson everything he wanted.  Watson has actually profited off his behavior aided and abetted by the league and one of the leagues owners.  

No. He is profiting off his ability. By saying he has profited off his behavior you are suggesting that he is making more money because he has all these sexual assault allegations pending. 
If anything, his contract is far less because of all of these allegations (and rightfully so). In addition, his suspension will, in all likelihood, cost him many millions of dollars, again rightfully so. 

There is literally nothing the NFL could have done to prevent Watson from getting traded or signing a contract unless you think he should get a lifetime ban, which no one reasonably thinks should happen. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No. He is profiting off his ability. By saying he has profited off his behavior you are suggesting that he is making more money because he has all these sexual assault allegations pending. 
If anything, his contract is far less because of all of these allegations (and rightfully so). In addition, his suspension will, in all likelihood, cost him many millions of dollars, again rightfully so. 

There is literally nothing the NFL could have done to prevent Watson from getting traded or signing a contract unless you think he should get a lifetime ban, which no one reasonably thinks should happen. 

At least because of the allegations he’s going to the Browns and not the Fins. So that’s nice. 

B u l l s h I t .... dude just got 200 million ... it would be funny were it not so despicable.

Even if all the allegations are blown up . There is some seriously reprehensible behavior being ignored all in the name of winning football games.

I would not go as far as to say the guy is a criminal without a guilty verdict ... but I would say this paints a perfect picture of where our society is in terms of repecting morality.

If you are a salesman, get fired because of allegations like this ... my guess is no matter how amazing your performance was you'd have a tough time getting rewarded with a pay raise from a competitor.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:40 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

“These women have alleged assault in their pleadings. I was speaking in a hypothetical situation. If there is a consensual sexual encounter after a massage, that is not a crime nor the basis for a civil lawsuit. I was not talking about what Deshaun did or did not do or expected or did not expect.’’

But yes, Buzbee is the villain here. 

Blowing through Roger Clemens's mouthpiece never exactly screamed right side of history.

• WTF? 1

On 6/5/2022 at 7:56 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The NFL literally has a process for exactly this situation which is called the commisioners exempt list

• Upvote 2

Reports from March 2021 talked about 24 accusers.  IIRC, the 23rd lawsuit was Nia Harris and she made her case public during an interview.

It appears Mr. “I didn’t do anything with anyo-…I mean they were all consensual!” forgot to mention this one to good ole Rusty.

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Can you cite to the provision in the rules that says players on the exempt list can't be traded or sign contracts?

I cannot find that specifically addressed. He does get paid but not "active" in the NFL so it would seem he could not be traded while on the list.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I cannot find that specifically addressed. He does get paid but not "active" in the NFL so it would seem he could not be traded while on the list.

The exempt list prevents a player from playing or attending practice. Nothing else. It says nothing about signing a contract or getting traded. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

She hung around long enough for him to ejaculate and at close enough range for it to get on her face... seems a little, fishy. Unless he's got the world's longest c*m shot. 

It was in her home.

• Upvote 3