Rumor: Deshaun Watson 3-4 week suspension

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I dont think it was pleasant for them    I was thinking of Depp, Kavanaugh and Musk but there are plenty of examples.

What  point are you trying to make?   That its no big deal to be accused of sexual assault if you are innocent?

My point is if they did what they were accused of doing it was much worse for the women they assaulted.  Not as pleasant as insinuated.  

I dont know how you can argue that Ben or Manning suffered one bit

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sidebar:  @The Crusher can this become the new name of the Mafia forum?

@Nolder @Spoot-Face @Beaver @Stark @Drums @Barry McCockinner @jvill 51 @AVM @Verbal @Jets Voice of Reason @Greenseed4

Might as well rename it "The Village People" because Mafia is as dead as disco.

Also because ghey

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

My point is if they did what they were accused of doing it was much worse for the women they assaulted.  Not as pleasant as insinuated.  

I dont know how you can argue that Ben or Manning suffered one bit

Idk   I still hear him referred to as Rapistberger

Not something id be happy about

Neither was convicted of anything, just accused.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sidebar:  @The Crusher can this become the new name of the Mafia forum?

@Nolder @Spoot-Face @Beaver @Stark @Drums @Barry McCockinner @jvill 51 @AVM @Verbal @Jets Voice of Reason @Greenseed4

Seems genuine 

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Might as well rename it "The Village People" because Mafia is as dead as disco.

Also because ghey

Feels forced, unnecessary last comment 

VOTE SPOOT 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Idk   I still hear him referred to as Rapistberger

Not something id be happy about

Neither was convicted of anything, just accused.  

By who?  A few fans who's teams lost to him and the Steelers?  Think he cares?  He didnt go to jail, won championships and made millions 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I dont think it was pleasant for them    I was thinking of Depp, Kavanaugh and Musk but there are plenty of examples.

What  point are you trying to make?   That its no big deal to be accused of sexual assault if you are innocent?

It was no big deal in those three cases.  In the case of Depp his accuser came off as unreliable.  In the case of Kavanaugh she was reliable and credible.   Kavanaugh response on the other hand not so much.   Of course he had a rigged jury pool. :)  he suffered no consequences.  

in those 3 cases it’s highly likely they did it and the consequences were at best an inconvenience.  

in Watson case it’s likely he did it and is going to do it again.  The NFL has rewarded him for his action.  He’s out of Houston and has been financially rewarded.  

The NFL rewarding him and suspending him for a year is the NFL having its cake and eating it.   He’s first game back will be the highest rated regular season game of the year.  

if the NFL really cared about this they would have known about it before the story broke.  They probably did.  Instead they allowed an auction for his services.  Rewarded him and will suspend him to maintain the integrity of the game.  Justice will be served.  

Guys assault women at very high rates.  Rich guys and priests get away with it at a higher percentage than poor guys.   Women in general have to live with it.  The NFL has gotten millions in free publicity off of this.   They have and will profit from it.  Yet somehow they should decide how society should respond to sexual assault.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

So thinking about the NFL role in this fiasco.  It's pretty clear the Browns structured Watson's contract to avoid a harsh monetary fine for suspension.   I would suggest the Cleveland Browns owner should be suspended or forced to sell the team for trying to dilute the NFL's power to protect the league.   If you believe the league should act and take a serious line on Watson they should take as serious a line on an owner trying to minimize the leagues power to protect itself. 

Any suspension of Watson should also include a suspension and fine of the Browns ownership.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So thinking about the NFL role in this fiasco.  It's pretty clear the Browns structured Watson's contract to avoid a harsh monetary fine for suspension.   I would suggest the Cleveland Browns owner should be suspended or forced to sell the team for trying to dilute the NFL's power to protect the league.   If you believe the league should act and take a serious line on Watson they should take as serious a line on an owner trying to minimize the leagues power to protect itself. 

Any suspension of Watson should also include a suspension and fine of the Browns ownership.

The NFL should suspend him for 2 years with some precedent from the baseball case. Not sure how much the HBO things ramps up the pressure on the NFL but the NFL wants him to play. They will come out with some suspension, the Predator will appeal it and it will be reduced to a slap on the wrist. Probably something like 8 down to 6

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

When I'm innocent I always look to give up 2+ million dollars to make people go away:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/02/deshaun-watson-offered-100000-to-22-women-suing-him/

I think Watson should be suspended for the year and definitely think where there is smoke, there is fire. So I am not trying to defend him.....

But just because you try to settle a case doesn't mean you are guilty. 2 million is cheap price to pay to avoid the cost to litigate this mess and going through depositions and the bad publicity of a long, drawn out trial. If the case had settled for 2 million and there is no pending criminal case, he would likely face a lesser suspension. 

The more I think about it, Watson should have offered up far more than 2 million to make these cases "go away." 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

The NFL should suspend him for 2 years with some precedent from the baseball case. Not sure how much the HBO things ramps up the pressure on the NFL but the NFL wants him to play. They will come out with some suspension, the Predator will appeal it and it will be reduced to a slap on the wrist. Probably something like 8 down to 6

If the NFL wanted to stick it to the Browns for trying to circumvent financial consequences to Watson of any suspension (why the hell they would do that is beyond me anyway), they could suspend him for 1 year (17 games) but starting in week 8 or so of this year, so it rolls into the first half of next season when his game checks are much larger and it impacts two seasons, not just one.

I can't recall ever seeing a team roll over and take it like the Browns did in signing Watson.  There's desperate, and then there's this.  If the salary was balanced over the seasons, and everyone let the chips fall where they fell, I'd be less inclined to be so judgmental, but this was just a "give him anything he wants and then a little bit more" when they really didn't need to.  IT's not like he had a line of suitors waiting to pay him.  What a bunch of tools.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If the NFL wanted to stick it to the Browns for trying to circumvent financial consequences to Watson of any suspension (why the hell they would do that is beyond me anyway), they could suspend him for 1 year (17 games) but starting in week 8 or so of this year, so it rolls into the first half of next season when his game checks are much larger and it impacts two seasons, not just one.

I can't recall ever seeing a team roll over and take it like the Browns did in signing Watson.  There's desperate, and then there's this.  If the salary was balanced over the seasons, and everyone let the chips fall where they fell, I'd be less inclined to be so judgmental, but this was just a "give him anything he wants and then a little bit more" when they really didn't need to.  IT's not like he had a line of suitors waiting to pay him.  What a bunch of tools.

I think they give him more than a year because of the contract 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

he tried to address that issue at around 3:30.  Dolphins said no deal unless the cases are settled. So they offered to settle.

I think Florio made a great point - Watson made a HUGE tactical mistake by not settling most of these cases when he had the chance. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I think they give him more than a year because of the contract 

There's also the possibility he gets suspended and it winds up in the courts which would push it to next year but because of the BS contract (that the NFL should not have approved) the Predator might decide to not go down that route

53 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The NFL should suspend the Browns owner for the contract.  It will not happen. 

• Sympathy 1

Not only are they actually illegal in Texas, but flying woman across state lines to pay them for sex would fall under sex trafficking.  Furthermore, according to Rusty, first it was nothing happened, then it was consensual sex, now it was sex work.

Watson’s team is grasping hard.

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Good report..... Trust me on this NO WAY the NFL rewards Cleveland by letting them win a SB this year or in the next three years for that matter.

Cleveland got the buzz they were looking for but they will not be permitted to win it ALL because of the message it would send....

Thank God the Jets are nowhere this nonsense!

54 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not only are they actually illegal in Texas, but flying woman across state lines to pay them for sex would fall under sex trafficking.  Furthermore, according to Rusty, first it was nothing happened, then it was consensual sex, now it was sex work.

Watson’s team is grasping hard.

I think prostitution laws are among the most idiotic laws in the world, but we are not talking about consensual "happy endings" anyway. We are talking about coercive sexual assault which is pretty much illegal everywhere. If Watson's team goes down the sex work path it would end badly for them.  I get this feeling sometimes that another foot will drop in this case

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Biggs said:

your joking right?

how can you do anything to the Browns when the NFL allowed Watson to be in the league. if you remember nobody traded for Watson until after he was not charged in criminal court. and the NFL allowed it to happened. and the NFL approves every contract in the league so they cant punish them for a contract they said was fine.

• Upvote 2

I think prostitution laws are among the most idiotic laws in the world, but we are not talking about consensual "happy endings" anyway. We are talking about coercive sexual assault which is pretty much illegal everywhere. If Watson's team goes down the sex work path it would end badly for them.  I get this feeling sometimes that another foot will drop in this case
Gonna be tough... near impossible... to prove sexual assault.

Fwiw, Judy Battista—who would know—indicating that it’s going to be a Friday news dump right before July 4th (which is on a Monday).

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-eight-intriguing-storylines-to-follow-at-mandatory-minicamps?campaign=Twitter_atn

1) Deshaun Watson's impact on the Browns. With NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicating last week that the league's investigation is nearing an end, the expectation is we might know before the Fourth of July if (or for how long) Watson will be suspended following accusations of sexual misconduct contained in 23 civil lawsuits. Minicamp is an opportunity to see how Watson looks in strictly football terms following his year off the field in Houston, and how receiver Amari Cooper fits into the offense.

Long time fan / new member here. 

This is the first thread I read and wow. I won't comment on the legality and leave that to lawyers. Also won't comment on protection of the NFL brand. 

Zack judged after a bad rookie year is almost laughable if it weren't so negatively ridiculous. A rookie QB going to a bad team  and having a bad year.... real shocker there. Maybe wait and see if there's progress in year 2.... jus sayin

I was at my jets anonymous meeting yesterday and they told me it was ok to breath and come above ground.... raiders, phins, browns and jags have all been more dysfunctional this year.... no need to "hold my beer" that and put Watson in a jets uniform. Maybe we could have also picked Urban Meyer and stayed in the basement of disifunction or the next decade. 

Back to football though.  Don't think it matters if Watson is under center in game 2. TB12/Tampa is a great example of a fantastic qb in a new system/ team/ coaching and how long it takes to build.  Not even considering Watson will be almost 2 years without a game/ organized practice. Even if Watson isn't suspended,  he ain't walking in day 1 and changing the browns.