Players to keep an eye on that can help this Team

Safety is not a pressing need this year.  Especially not trading for one and then having to give him a big contract.  Joe D would never do this.

Deon Jones......maybe.  I think if Ulbrich hammers the table for the guy, then Joe D will highly consider it.  Sounds like Jones might be a cut candidate so Joe D will wait till the very end regarding him.  There is no rush anyways.

Larry O will be here if he wants to play for what Joe D thinks hes worth.  If hes looking for big bucks and can get it from another team, he wont be here.  Again Joe D will wait this out as there is no rush.

• Upvote 3

I like the LB and DT suggestions but would rather not trade 2023 assets for Bates or any safety/player. Let Pinnock develop -see what he’s got - if he stinks it up draft or sign one next year. 

2023-2024 is the year of luxury picks and over-reaching/trading for a proven asset 

i still think roster is too young to trade assets unless it helps Zach (ie Deebo). 

Who knows, Pinnock could emerge, looked pretty good end of last year. 

• Upvote 4

I don't if they will help or not, but Ogunjobi and Kwon Alexander both spent time with the team.  Presumably there is interest, but they are waiting to strike a deal.  Either looking for better offers or better options. Ogunjobi might be injury related - his big FA deal busted because he failed the physical. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Thoughts???

First, this would be so much better if it was a youtube video made in a dingy basement with a cheap Jets flag hung behind you.  

Second, agree with all your points but I just don't see JD trading for Bates.  He loves his early round draft picks and I sense FS isn't a huge concern of his.  

Y’all dont want to see me on video. ?

We went after Marcus Williams. So, I wouldn't rule out management thinking a rangy FS is a need. Trading a 2nd and handing out a big contract is a lot. I agree that it may not be something Joe D would consider. But we are getting to the point where we really are just a few players away. Having Bates covering deep and intercepting passes I think takes this D up a notch. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Safety is not a pressing need this year.  Especially not trading for one and then having to give him a big contract.  Joe D would never do this.

Deon Jones......maybe.  I think if Ulbrich hammers the table of the guy, then Joe D will highly consider it.  Sounds like Jones might be a cut candidate so Joe D will wait till the very end regarding him.  There is no rush anyways.

Larry O will be here if he wants to play for what Joe D thinks hes worth.  If hes looking for big bucks and can get it from another team, he wont be here.  Again Joe D will wait this out as there is no rush.

I agree that Bates doesn't fit the typical JD acquisition. I just think he fits the team like a glove. And JD does talk about being opportunistic. A top 5 FS becoming available might fit the bill. 

I’ve been watching a lot of Deion Jones over the last few weeks and reading a ton from analysis and fans. He really is a victim of scheme change. Some fans are down on him though. Reminds of when we changed our defensive scheme and Vilma all of sudden sucked. Then he goes to NOLA and plays at a pro bowl level again. Deion Jones is a good player but is scheme limited. His best in our style of defense. Ulbrich would know best of course. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I agree that Bates doesn't fit the typical JD acquisition. I just think he fits the team like a glove.

I’ve been watching a lot of Deion Jones over the last few weeks and reading a ton from analysis and fans. He really is a victim of scheme change. Some fans are down on him though. Reminds of when we changed our defensive scheme and Vilma all of sudden sucked. Then he goes to NOLA and plays at a pro bowl level again. Deion Jones is a good player but is scheme limited. His best in our style of defense. Ulbrich would know best of course. 

I like the idea of Deion Jones, but I don't like the price.  I haven't looked too far into it, but he is getting around $10M per over the next two and I think he will cost the Falcons $5M in dead money to cut.  I don't see it. Maybe the $5M is only for pre June 1 cuts? 

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't if they will help or not, but Ogunjobi and Kwon Alexander both spent time with the team.  Presumably there is interest, but they are waiting to strike a deal.  Either looking for better offers or better options. Ogunjobi might be injury related - his big FA deal busted because he failed the physical. 

I didn't realize Kwon Alexander is just 27 years old. I thought he was older.  Fits that rangy LB we’re missing. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I like the idea of Deion Jones, but I don't like the price.  I haven't looked too far into it, but he is getting around $10M per over the next two and I think he will cost the Falcons $5M in dead money to cut.  I don't see it. Maybe the $5M is only for pre June 1 cuts? 

I think he’ll get cut after June 1st.  Not sure why Atl hasn't done it and designated him a post June cut already. But they’ll save $1.1M in that scenario.  Plus why delay the inevitable? They drafted Troy Anderson in 2nd. Maybe they’re hoping they can trade him. 

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I think he’ll get cut after June 1st.  Not sure why Atl hasn't done it and designated him a post June cut already. But they’ll save $1.1M in that scenario.  Plus why delay the inevitable? They drafted Troy Anderson in 2nd. Maybe they’re hoping they can trade him. 

$10M per is still steep.  He is a valuable player.  Might make sense to keep him around even if he isn't a great fit.  Hope he can fit in somehow. I think they redid his deal last year, so his salary (and $4M roster bonus, but I think the Falcons are stuck with that) is guaranteed.  

• Upvote 1

Kwon Alexander is the only guy that comes to mind as an insurance policy. 

This team has young LBs and a slew of Safeties that the coaching staff has confidence in. Whether Jet fans do or not. I don't think JD/Saleh are looking for serious upgrades at those positions. I highly doubt JD will be looking to TRADE draft assets for a FS so he can sign him to a monster deal. Maybe that was the case with Marcus Williams early in FA but I just don't see it now. 

Depending on price Larry Ogunjobi is a low risk/high signing. He's also a great fit. Makes sense that JD is sniffing around. 

One position on the Offense that I think the Jets need to look into is backup C. McGovern was hurt last year and could not finish out the year. Right now we are looking at Feeney, Herbig or maybe Ross Pierschbacher as the backup. I don't have much faith in any of those guys as an anchor of our O-line if McGovern goes down again.  

Draft your LBs and FS next year. Deion Jones at LB from ATL would be good for a year or two if gets cut, has gas left in the tank, and isn't injured. I wouldn't chase anyone's FS though unless the guy is realistic salary wise. If he's looking to makes news, and placate his ego he can do it with another team.

3 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I like the LB and DT suggestions but would rather not trade 2023 assets for Bates or any safety/player. Let Pinnock develop -see what he’s got - if he stinks it up draft or sign one next year. 

2023-2024 is the year of luxury picks and over-reaching/trading for a proven asset 

i still think roster is too young to trade assets unless it helps Zach (ie Deebo). 

Who knows, Pinnock could emerge, looked pretty good end of last year. 

Curious to see how Pinnock performs. I do wonder how much confidence they have in him though. They wouldn't have kicked the tires on Marcus Williams if they were confident Pinnock is the answer at FS. By default, he’s the guy we have to hope develops. And he did flash at the position last year. So we have reason to hope.

My view is that we haven't addressed FS yet because the right guy at the right price hasn't been available. 

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Curious to see how Pinnock performs. I do wonder how much confidence they have in him though. They wouldn't have kicked the tires on Marcus Williams if they were confident Pinnock is the answer at FS. By default, he’s the guy we have to hope develops. And he did flash at the position last year. So we have reason to hope.

My view is that we haven't addressed FS yet because the right guy at the right price hasn't been available. 

I think they mainly wanted to get veteran leadership in that safety room this offseason and Whitehead does that too although Williams obviously better player.  

I agree the right guy at the right place hasn't been available thus we have Whitehead and Pinnock/Davis to start. When 2023/2024 rolls around I anticipate bigger splashes in FA, so far JD holds tight to his line but assume that will change when we are closer to contention. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

One position on the Offense that I think the Jets need to look into is backup C. McGovern was hurt last year and could not finish out the year. Right now we are looking at Feeney, Herbig or maybe Ross Pierschbacher as the backup. I don't have much faith in any of those guys as an anchor of our O-line if McGovern goes down again.  

Actually, Feeney did a good job the last few games when McGovern got injured. I know PFF rankings are suspect, but he graded at 75.9 overall in 2021.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

We’ve had a great offseason. And if we make no further moves, I would still be happy. Our team looks like it is moving in the direction.

With that said, we still have holes on the team and there are players that are or might become available that can really put this team over the top.

Offense

We’re pretty much set on offense. Our offense being playoff caliber really hinges on the development of Zach Wilson, Mekhi Becton and one of Elijah Moore / Garrett Wilson proving they’re a #1 WR. Nothing new here. We all know this and have been talking about it all offseason.

Good to have: We could still use a swing tackle. Asking Max Mitchell to be that guy right away seems risky. I’m currently not aware of a player that can fill this hole.

Defense

Alright. Here we go. As much resources as we put into the defense, it is still not playoff caliber. Our run defense is set to be awful. There are two ways I think you stop the run. 1) Get big guys up front that demand double teams creating free LBs to get to the RB 2) have a strong coverage team that allows SS and LB to stack the box creating a numbers advantage. Our defense is setup to be the 2nd option. But we are missing a ballhawk FS and cover LB to do this affectively.

Ball Hawking Safety: We need to keep an eye out on the Jessie Bates situation. He does not plan on signing his franchise tag and the Bengals already drafted his replacement. Getting a guy like Bates, who can play single high, will allow Whitehead to predominately play in the box to help the run game and cover the flat. Two areas we sucked at last year. I would trade a 2023 2nd and Ashtyn Davis for Jessie Bates. The 2nd is obviously the key part. Seems like that is the expected return for Bates. In terms of salary, a Marcus Williams type of offer seems fair. More than that, and I’ll pass.

Cover LB: Atlanta changed their defensive system and now Dieon Jones is being asked to do things he is not good at. I expect him to get cut as a result. While he may no longer be that all-pro guy, he is still good and he is still young. The guy can cover and still flies all over the field. He just cant shed blocks. Going back to a Robert Saleh style defense will put him in position to do what he does best. And he’s a player we currently don't have. Mosley can then focus on cleaning up run plays and covering smaller areas.

Interior DL: We are rumored to be very interested in Larry Ogunjobi. This would be fantastic. He’s a better version of Sheldon Rankins who disappointed last year.

Thoughts? Any other players being rumored to be on the block or possibly be a camp cut that can help this team?

If Gio gets cut in Tampa I wouldn’t mind making him our third or fourth back. Very good safety valve as great RB pass catcher  and a veteran presence since two of our backs are very young. He wouldn’t be bad as fourth on the depth chart

good points but if gardner, and wiliams  turn out as the jets want then they've pretty much solved their safety issues  and possibly their cover lb issues.  gardner should be able to give the safeties some relief and williams should be able to protect the edge.  he's also fast enough to cover a te.  we'll see.

Both Linval Joseph and Akeem Hicks are still available as DTs who can stop the run.

Hicks is a borderline elite player when healthy, hes just getting up there in age and Joseph is a pure run defender at this point.  The issue like is that Saleh wants DTs who can penetrate as opposed to occupying gaps, but I worry about the interior DL on this team more then I do about the LBs