UDFA Irvin Charles

Really wish there was more out there on this kid because his physical attributes are outstanding at ' 6'4'', 4.47 with 33'' arms.  Having played at IUP.  Listed as a WR but even saw some sites say he's a potential TE/H-Back.  Unfortunately there's close to nothing in terms of full games to check him out online and he only had a couple of catches with Penn State before being dismissed.   Have to like his chances if he's a physical guy at his size.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm not holding my breath on this one.

These guys are interesting and they generally stick around because the staff likes them and they aren't the kind of kids to get instantly poached.  It can give them a chance to develop. Kind of what happened with Jeff Smith.  His level of development remains to be seen, but he certainly has stuck around for longer than expected.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Have to like his chances if he's a physical guy at his size.

Actually, I don't.

There's tons of guys who get their foot in the door (sort of speak) in the NFL b/c of their size/athleticism/speed and go on to get cut. He needs to show he can run crisp routes, learn on the fly, and catch everything in sight. Like so many other UDFA, his chances of making the team are not great. Odds are he will not beat out Mims, Smith or a potential FA vet we don't even know of yet who JD might add as more guys become available. He's competing with bottom of the depth chart guys who are just as talented and know what NFL competition is like, what an NFL offseason is like, and in some cases- what the playbook is like, etc., etc.     

Noting against the guy and I would love for us to find a gem UDFA, but odds are stacked against him. 

• Upvote 1

I think we keep 6 receivers this year. I expect Mims to be one of the Top 5. But I do think we will also keep a larger target so that will be a key battle in training camp. Cager, Charles, have a good shot at making the team if they can flash and offer value on specials.

• Upvote 1

I also see us keeping 6 WRs:

1. Garrett Wilson
  2. Elijah Moore
  3. Corey Davis
  4. Braxton Berrios
  5. Denzel Mims
  6. Jeff Smith/Irvin Charles/Calvin Jackson/Rodney Adams/Tarik Black

Mims feels just as likely to nail down a spot as he is to be traded/cut, so he's #5 for now. The coaching staff seems to love Jeff Smith, so he's the incumbent the other guys need to beat out. But whoever that is, he's gotta play special teams at a competent level and have a unique skillset that diversifies the group, whether that's Irvin Charles' size or Calvin Jackson's speed as examples. Or this group could be bolstered with a post-training camp cut. Should be fascinating to see unfold. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I also see us keeping 6 WRs:

1. Garrett Wilson
  2. Elijah Moore
  3. Corey Davis
  4. Braxton Berrios
  5. Denzel Mims
  6. Jeff Smith/Irvin Charles/Calvin Jackson/Rodney Adams/Tarik Black

Mims feels just as likely to nail down a spot as he is to be traded/cut, so he's #5 for now. The coaching staff seems to love Jeff Smith, so he's the incumbent the other guys need to beat out. But whoever that is, he's gotta play special teams at a competent level and have a unique skillset that diversifies the group, whether that's Irvin Charles' size or Calvin Jackson's speed as examples. Or this group could be bolstered with a post-training camp cut. Should be fascinating to see unfold. 

As the board's official Jeff Smith proponent/apologist, I have to point out that Smith has stuck around and seemed to slowly move up through Gase/Loggans and Saleh/LaFleur.  He was actually signed by Maccagnan in 2019 before the purge started.  I figured he'd be dumped coming out of camp last year and was shocked he stuck.  He's still only 4 months older than Michael Clemons.  FWIW, they seemed to use him some as a gunner last year, but I think he only had one tackle.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Actually, I don't.

There's tons of guys who get their foot in the door (sort of speak) in the NFL b/c of their size/athleticism/speed and go on to get cut. He needs to show he can run crisp routes, learn on the fly, and catch everything in sight. Like so many other UDFA, his chances of making the team are not great. Odds are he will not beat out Mims, Smith or a potential FA vet we don't even know of yet who JD might add as more guys become available. He's competing with bottom of the depth chart guys who are just as talented and know what NFL competition is like, what an NFL offseason is like, and in some cases- what the playbook is like, etc., etc.     

Noting against the guy and I would love for us to find a gem UDFA, but odds are stacked against him. 

I see what you're saying, but that's why I specified his need to be a physical player (block, win contested balls, etc) because we've seen enough Charone Peake types...great height and 40 but nothing else to offer.  Which is why I wish there was more out there on him.

• Upvote 1

“Charles opted to transfer from Penn State in 2019 following his redshirt sophomore season and landed at IUP with an opportunity to play more of a role in the passing game. However, he didn’t take the field until 2021 due to academic issues and the COVID-19 pandemic. Charles made the most of his lone season suiting up for IUP, catching 39 passes for 791 yards and 12 touchdowns.“ jetswire/USA Today 

interesting, but there’s more to this story. Maybe academic issues hindered his playing time.

7 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Indiana University of Pennsylvania 

Used to the Pennsylvania State Teachers College Conference.  Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Clarion, Shippensburg, California PA, Slippery Rock.  It's a D2 conference that puts some players out.  Bruce Harper when the Kutztown, Rontez Miles to California.  Julian Howsare from Clarion was a plus athlete and college sack guy that was in Jets camp for years.  They moved him to FB and he got in a few games in 2016.  He's been playing in the CFL, I think he lost in the final last year.

• Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Used to the Pennsylvania State Teachers College Conference.  Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Clarion, Shippensburg, California PA, Slippery Rock.  It's a D2 conference that puts some players out.  Bruce Harper when the Kutztown, Rontez Miles to California.  Julian Howsare from Clarion was a plus athlete and college sack guy that was in Jets camp for years.  They moved him to FB and he got in a few games in 2016.  He's been playing in the CFL, I think he lost in the final last year.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

Irvin Charles (11) attempts to catch a pass with pressure from Justin Layne (39) of Michigan State during the second half of the game at Beaver Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016. Penn State defeated Michigan State 45-12.

image.png.e6e35cea7719217986c46629458d4e43.png