Jets Sign Garrett Wilson

2 hours ago, slats said:

Really? Cool. Did not know that. 

I think the pressure is on the coaching staff. JD did his job bringing in talent, now they have to incorporate 12+ new starters/major contributors. And they have Zach on their hands, too. Big job to get this very young team together in a hurry. This is why I’m glad we go a month without a divisional game. 

What's your feeling on Zach Wilson ??? I'm totally stumped at this juncture.  His play and stats got better late in the season, but I still didn't feel convinced.  Clearly, the arm talent is there, but the rest ??? 

13 hours ago, slats said:

I think this might be the team’s most consequential draft pick. They tried very hard to find a star caliber vet at WR, and were willing to pay thru the nose to get it done. GW is something of a consolation prize in that regard. They wanted an immediate, sure-fire #1, and for good reason - Zach needed help. Instead, they have a highly regarded rookie. A lot riding on how fast he develops and how good he can be. 

You may be right but I don't know how hard we really went after a vet. I mean sure we got a hill package together...and wanted DK but he was not available. All the other guys kinda blowed chunks...looking at you Robinson...anyway. I think Joe prefer what we got. Did his die dilligence and all that

2 hours ago, slats said:

He was absolutely horrible to start the season and, even though he got better, he still wasn’t good. He needs to take a major step forward. I feel that he’s got natural ability, brains, and a solid work ethic, so that’s a decent start. I’m very happy that we have a regime in place that understands the value and importance of offensive weapons, and have surrounded him as best as they could. It’s obvious that he’s put some time in at the gym, and we know he trained with Beck and his teammates over the offseason. It’s up to him now. I believe he’s been put in a position to succeed. 

Agree fully.  JD, Saleh & Woody (Woody said he would be heavily involved in the draft :-)) did as much as you could ask to outfit Wilson with offensive manpower.

I don't think I have ever been this intrigued about the Jets.  Not so much excited, but intrigued.  There are so many issues that are in doubt and so many stories to watch play out.  

Saleh's performance, Zach's performance, Becton's performance, Sauce, Garrett Wilson, J.J.'s performance in general and how he will compare to Thibs, Breece Hall, the two FA TE's and Ruckert, how the offence will evolve.

In all the time you have been a Jet's fan, can you remember so many story lines to watch ???

The Jets are packed with football food for thought. 

I just watched film on Wilson last night.  My goodness.  He has it all.  Speed, toughness, hands, route running, jet sweeps, elusiveness  etc.

This kid is going to be a flat out superstar.  If there was any truth to the extent of our interest in tyreke hill, that will go down as the greatest non-trade we ever made.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, slats said:

I think this might be the team’s most consequential draft pick. They tried very hard to find a star caliber vet at WR, and were willing to pay thru the nose to get it done. GW is something of a consolation prize in that regard. They wanted an immediate, sure-fire #1, and for good reason - Zach needed help. Instead, they have a highly regarded rookie. A lot riding on how fast he develops and how good he can be. 

I think he will be a solid addition, but not sure he is a #1 WR. In any case we need players that develop into solid roles.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Garrett Wilson is a number 1 wr and within a year or 2 will be a top level wr1.  This kid is special and has it all.

I like Wilson. I would’ve liked Williams, too, but I like the fact that they wanted to bring in a WR who was ready to work right now as opposed to waiting out his recovery. Still, outside of maybe a couple of inches, I think Moore is still the better prospect. Jets could have something special if Zach can get them the ball this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I like Wilson. I would’ve liked Williams, too, but I like the fact that they wanted to bring in a WR who was ready to work right now as opposed to waiting out his recovery. Still, outside of maybe a couple of inches, I think Moore is still the better prospect. Jets could have something special if Zach can get them the ball this year. 

Not everything is a out Zach. How about this jets could have something special if the receivers can hold on to the ball this year.

Jets were tied for 4th in drops.

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm trying to think of two star WRs on a team where one wasn't at least 6'2".  The only thing I can come up with is Duper and Clayton (who were both much shorter than Wilson).  I'd settle for that.

CE8282DF-7A94-405F-B81E-0966B2112FB5.png

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm trying to think of two star WRs on a team where one wasn't at least 6'2".  The only thing I can come up with is Duper and Clayton (who were both much shorter than Wilson).  I'd settle for that.

Somebody already brought up Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, the other one that came to mind was Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

And you know this how? Wasn't  Mims supposed be a #1?

there is no comparison betwwwn Wilson and Mims.  Wilson is 100 times the prospect coming out that mims was.

How do I know?  I watched the tape dude.  Do some research and ull see it.  This kid is special.

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, nycdan said:

The Posse had Art Monk who was 6'3" but also Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders who were listed at 5'9" and 5'11"

Guess that might as well be the Jurassic for how long ago it was, but things should be getting easier and easier for little guys.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

there is no comparison betwwwn Wilson and Mims.  Wilson is 100 times the prospect coming out that mims was.

How do I know?  I watched the tape dude.  Do some research and ull see it.  This kid is special.

Yeah, put the Kool Aid down for a minute.  So did Peter Warrick. Warrick was possibly  one of the most dominant  collegiate WR to ever play and he was a nothing in the NFL. I like Wilson but unlike you, I want ro see him on the field before I anoint him #1 status. You probably think Max Mitchell is going to be the next Orlando Pace. 

48 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, put the Kool Aid down for a minute.  So did Peter Warrick. Warrick was possibly  one of the most dominant  collegiate WR to ever play and he was a nothing in the NFL. I like Wilson but unlike you, I want ro see him on the field before I anoint him #1 status. You probably think Max Mitchell is going to be the next Orlando Pace. 

The disease.  Poor guy.

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You got a disease.  And the only prescription is more Joe Douglas.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I just watched film on Wilson last night.  My goodness.  He has it all.  Speed, toughness, hands, route running, jet sweeps, elusiveness  etc.

This kid is going to be a flat out superstar.  If there was any truth to the extent of our interest in tyreke hill, that will go down as the greatest non-trade we ever made.

You got that right. Loved this kid as a Buckeye. The way he high-points the ball, using every inch of his frame, the circus catches, the speed. Love everything about picking GW. This Douglas guy just might be onto something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Totally possible ... and best part is... Moore might be even better if he can stay on the field.
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Totally possible ... and best part is... Moore might be even better if he can stay on the field.

The offensive skill position talent btwn moore, garrett wilson, zach, breece, mc, ruckert, berrios, conky etc is just ridiculous.  This is going to be so fun to watch.  Offensive fireworks baby!!!!

• Upvote 1

I thought Warrick was slow in college.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The only disease is the one that made you proclaim a winning season for the Jets last year and a playoff appearance. Looks like you're  still running a fever. 

I have the Jets at 9-8 this year.  Very realistic.

But.................. if the ball bounces our way in a game or two or if Zach takes a Joe Burrow like leap, then yes this can be a playoff team this year.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Paradis never liked any of these guys.

Friggin size queen.

10 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Chase Claypool is one of the few successful WR Pittsburg has drafted that isn't under 6'2" and they are a WR factory.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - 6'1"

Diontae Johnson - 5'10"

James Washington - 5'11"

Lol size queen. Love it, sorry boys ?

True story; and I believe @Lith (maybe that was David Johnson) can verify - back in the catacombs of JI, Paradis was not only an Antonio Borwn fan, but I was virtually starting the threads about how incredibly nuanced his game was and how badly the jets needed to select him in rnd 3-4. He was in every mock.  I actually don’t know if I met another believer as high on Brown as I was. And let’s be clear, he was not a popular name. He was largely billed as a G5 special teamer development/return guy. I was in love  

I HATE Pit as much as any team in our Div and so when they drafted him I just closed that chapter of heart and let it go  

(PS, I liked Sanders and to a lesser extent  Wallace too.  Pit has a history of taking WRs I like;. Makes it worse).  

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have the Jets at 9-8 this year.  Very realistic.

But.................. if the ball bounces our way in a game or two or if Zach takes a Joe Burrow like leap, then yes this can be a playoff team this year.

Burrows leap has a name. Jamarr Chase. I don't  think even the most Rosie projection of Wilson has him in Chase's category

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Burrows leap has a name. Jamarr Chase. I don't  think even the most Rosie projection of Wilson has him in Chase's category

Zachs leap has a name.  Its called breece hall, elijah moore, corey davis, braxton berrios, breece hall, michael carter, cj uzamah, conky, laken tomlinson, AVT, Mechi Becton.

This Jets offense is more talented then the bengals offense last year.