Jets Sign Garrett Wilson

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Why are you so focused on 2020 when he was hurt? Every other year he has averaged  over 4 yards a carry except his rookie year where he played behind Hill

I’m not “so focused on 2020”, that was a response to part of your post. The other two responses were simple responses to simple questions. 

I think our difference in opinion stems from you finding four yards per carry to be a good number/threshold.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yes it was. Go back & read my OP. Bolded type on how the article in SI spoke of how the OL was underperforming. 

“2020 being a down year was the result of Burrow blowing out his knee and Ryan Finley finishing the season.”

46 minutes ago, derp said:

I’m not “so focused on 2020”, that was a response to part of your post. The other two responses were simple responses to simple questions. 

I think our difference in opinion stems from you finding four yards per carry to be a good number/threshold.

Because it is. 4 yards a tote means you can hand the ball off on first down any time you want and have  a very manageable  2nd down. When was the last time the Jets had a back that you felt really good about giving him the ball on first down a really high percentage of time. I didn't  even feel that with Curtis most of the time.

47 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because it is. 4 yards a tote means you can hand the ball off on first down any time you want and have  a very manageable  2nd down. When was the last time the Jets had a back that you felt really good about giving him the ball on first down a really high percentage of time. I didn't  even feel that with Curtis most of the time.

Yards per carry is an average, not a guarantee. Mixon was 30th in the league in YPC last year. A YPC of 4.1 is fine, it’s not awful, it’s close to bad, and not particularly impressive to me in the context of playing with such a good passing offense.

Mixon benefits tremendously from defenses needing to account for Chase, Higgins, and Burrow. That’s the basis of their offense, not first down runs.

He’s a good back with great counting stats because he plays on an elite offense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, derp said:

Yards per carry is an average, not a guarantee. Mixon was 30th in the league in YPC last year.

Mixon benefits tremendously from defenses needing to account for Chase, Higgins, and Burrow. That’s the basis of their offense, not first down runs.

He’s a good back with great counting stats because he plays on an elite offense.

Mixon average 4.9 yards a carry his second season without Chase, Higgins, or Burrow

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Mixon average 4.9 yards a carry his second season without Chase, Higgins, or Burrow

Yes, that was a good year. Best of his career. It was four years ago.

Mixon’s 2018 season isn’t particularly relevant in the context of how good he is now. He had a slightly less worse year than Todd Gurley that season. Gurley is now out of the league.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Yes, that was a good year. Best of his career. It was four years ago.

Mixon’s 2018 season isn’t particularly relevant in the context of how good he is now. He had a slightly less worse year than Todd Gurley that season. Gurley is now out of the league.

Gurley  is out of the league because he had an ACL before he was even drafted. Except for the year Mixon was drafted and 2020 where he missed major time and played injured, he has been one of the top backs. I really don't  understand this thing you have trying to discredit him. Avgs 1100 yards a year even with the bad 2020 season and about 300 receiving  yards a season with about an 80% catch percentage.  The guy is a stud. Oh, and this season was pretty much his best, not his second season. 1200 yards and 13 TDs

1 hour ago, derp said:

“2020 being a down year was the result of Burrow blowing out his knee and Ryan Finley finishing the season.”

My bad…. My OTHER OP! ?

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

2020 being a down year was the result of Burrow blowing out his knee and Ryan Finley finishing the season. 
“Through the Bengals' first nine games, Burrow had been hit a total of 72 times, which was tied with Daniel Jones for the most by a rookie quarterback in his first nine games over the past 20 years. A big reason Burrow has taken so many hits is because the Bengals' offensive line has been playing below average football for nearly the entire season.”

Pretty easy for a DC to figure out you want to see Ryan Finley win the game on 3rd and long. 8-9 man fronts!

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Gurley  is out of the league because he had an ACL before he was even drafted. Except for the year Mixon was drafted and 2020 where he missed major time and played injured, he has been one of the top backs. I really don't  understand this thing you have trying to discredit him. Avgs 1100 yards a year even with the bad 2020 season and about 300 receiving  yards a season with about an 80% catch percentage.  The guy is a stud. Oh, and this season was pretty much his best, not his second season. 1200 yards and 13 TDs

The point that evidently went over your head was that 2018 was a long time ago.

I’m not “trying to discredit him”, I said he’s good. You think he’s a top five back, I don’t value a guy who gets his team mediocre YPC on high volume the same way you do in a passing league where yards per passing attempt are so much higher than yards per carry.

That you think his 1205 yard on 292 carry season was better than his 1168 yard on 237 carry season I think gets to our dramatically different perspectives. Believe we’re going to need to agree to disagree here.

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

My bad…. My OTHER OP! ?

Yeah, that’s the same post. You also ended it by saying that a defensive coordinator would want to get Ryan Finley in third and longs and stack boxes. My mistake for thinking the beginning and end of your post were relevant and not just the blurb in the middle.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

The point that evidently went over your head was that 2018 was a long time ago.

I’m not “trying to discredit him”, I said he’s good. You think he’s a top five back, I don’t value a guy who gets his team mediocre YPC on high volume the same way you do in a passing league where yards per passing attempt are so much higher than yards per carry.

That you think his 1205 yard on 292 carry season was better than his 1168 yard on 237 carry season I think gets to our dramatically different perspectives. Believe we’re going to need to agree to disagree here.

I think this year is better because he had 13 TDs.

Honestly, you are looking at one stat, YPC. That isn't  the whole story that makes him great. 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think this year is better because he had 13 TDs.

Honestly, you are looking at one stat, YPC. That isn't  the whole story that makes him great. 

He had more touchdowns because the offense was better so he got the ball more in scoring position.

What makes him great is…volume? Once again I think we just value different things.

19 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Without that one very good year he’s averaging less than 4 ypc over his career. And 4.1 is not good. You’ve got guys like Taylor and Chubb averaging 5.5, even MC1 averaged 4.3 last year, and the Jets felt the need to upgrade from him. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Without that one very good year he’s averaging less than 4 ypc over his career. And 4.1 is not good. You’ve got guys like Taylor and Chubb averaging 5.5, even MC1 averaged 4.3 last year, and the Jets felt the need to upgrade from him. 

IMO if you are averaging over 4 a carry, that enough. I know it is an average and you won't get that every carry but basically 50% of the time you are getting 4 or more. That is good enough to setup a 2nd or 3rd down play. Also, please don't  play that if we take this out he sucks game. Conversely if we take out 2020, all his stats rise. 

As far as Carter, I don't  think the addition of Hall was performance  related, but more a durability thing and that Saleh probably wants to follow that 49er platoon style

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

IMO if you are averaging over 4 a carry, that enough. I know it is an average and you won't get that every carry but basically 50% of the time you are getting 4 or more. That is good enough to setup a 2nd or 3rd down play. Also, please don't  play that if we take this out he sucks game. Conversely if we take out 2020, all his stats rise. 

As far as Carter, I don't  think the addition of Hall was performance  related, but more a durability thing and that Saleh probably wants to follow that 49er platoon style

Being that it was the only year he averaged more than 4.1 ypc, and that it happened four years ago, it’s probably a pretty fair way to look at his career. In five seasons, his longest run has been 51 yards. I know he had a lot of fans the year he came out -maybe you were one of them?- but he’s really just been okay. He’s an average RB. 

For the Jets, I think you have it backwards again. They were a RB by committee team last year, the addition of Breece Hall gives them their own bell cow for 2022 & beyond. 

I really don’t have a horse in this race because when it comes to comparing the Jets to Bengals, the Bengals have proven producers and the Jets mostly just have potential. Still, I’d take Hall & MC1 over Mixon pretty much every day. It’s just interesting to see you put this particular average back on a pedestal, while every average Jet player is trash. 

48 minutes ago, slats said:

Being that it was the only year he averaged more than 4.1 ypc, and that it happened four years ago, it’s probably a pretty fair way to look at his career. In five seasons, his longest run has been 51 yards. I know he had a lot of fans the year he came out -maybe you were one of them?- but he’s really just been okay. He’s an average RB. 

For the Jets, I think you have it backwards again. They were a RB by committee team last year, the addition of Breece Hall gives them their own bell cow for 2022 & beyond. 

I really don’t have a horse in this race because when it comes to comparing the Jets to Bengals, the Bengals have proven producers and the Jets mostly just have potential. Still, I’d take Hall & MC1 over Mixon pretty much every day. It’s just interesting to see you put this particular average back on a pedestal, while every average Jet player is trash. 

I'm actually very high on Hall and I liked Carter enough to draft him onto my dynasty team so I wouldn't  say I think they are trash. Last season it appeared to me they leaned on Carter pretty heavily compared to our other backs and it seemed to take a toll imo. I do agree Hall has bellcow potential but I think we will see a pretty even split between  he and Carter, at least for this season. As far as Mixon, I just feel he is one of the few big producers at the position and has the ability to carry an O when needed