Is there chance Jets sign a Free Agent/make trade before season?

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Just don’t see him being cut.  They’ve gone out of their way to explain his health issues as a reason he struggled along with repeatedly talking about his talents and that they still believe in him.  I can’t see the advantage to cutting out trading him unless a better player is brought in

Agree. They have to be hoping he can eventually put it together and be a decent replacement for Corey Davis.  I think Davis can be cut next year at a minimal dead cap charge.  If he sucks again, they cut Mims in 2023 and draft another early round WR...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much 0 chance that they'd showcase Mims and then trade him.  

For one they still believe in him or hold out hope that hes talented and circumstances worked against him in the past.  Secondly who would want him?  If he shows enough to draw offers why wouldnt they hold onto him, he fills a need they dont have in a WR right now.  Throw in hes inexpensive and I dont see a reason to trade him this year

What you say is logical.  But something is off about Mims.

I think a UDFA or similar is going to make an impression in camp, maybe who also contributes on special teams, and it’s bye-bye Mims.

A few catches in the pre-season and maybe a team that is really thin like Chicago makes a move and it will be the old “fresh start” cliche.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I still think a Mayfield/Darnold trade might end up happening, because at this point, there's no benefit of cutting him.  Both on 5th year options, Darnold won't make any issues, and Mayfield offers more upside for the Panthers.  

That’s an interesting idea. Would Darnold move ahead of Brissett? Darnold on the Browns vs. Wilson in week two? 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was terrible in this system last season.  If he doesn't improve greatly, the advantage to getting rid of him is that guys like Smith and Berrios might actually be better players in the system.  You can't even argue that he got better as the season went on.  He had 40 of his yards on his one target week 1.  Without that catch, he caught 8 of 22 for 93 yards.  He is two years in without a TD.  If things don't change quickly for him, it might make sense to send him somewhere that can use him, expecially since he has yet to play a special team snap. I'm not saying they are going to trade or cut him, or that they should.  I am saying there are very good reasons to think they might.  Hearing that he is big and fast is nice, but so is Irvin Charles. 

I think all of that is logical and smart. But when you look at Mims just physically in 2020 and especially 2022 compared to 2021 its an incredible difference.  As I have said before I believe that food poisoning and Covid were covers for something much different.  Not saying that he will not still be a bust but the player I saw in 2020 had real promise. Certainly will be interesting to see. Irvin Charles has a solid chance to make the team regardless of what Mims does.

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not sure that number includes #17 Wilson 

The Jets might be up against the cap. They do have alot of long term flexibility but that means someone needs to be extended or haircut for cap room now. 

That’s a good point.  Last I looked at this, we were only slightly less than $5M under after allocating for the draft class.  We did cut GVR which picked up about $3M net of Herbig.  So the real number is probably closer to $7-8M as of today.  

I would expect us to cut Rankins if/when we sign another DT so let’s consider that a wash.  Rankins is between $4-5M.

Meaning we still would have $7-8M for a swing tackle and LB.  Last year we signed Moses for $3.6M.  Meaning we’d have about the same for a LB.

3 hours ago, slats said:

That’s an interesting idea. Would Darnold move ahead of Brissett? Darnold on the Browns vs. Wilson in week two? 

Yeah, it'd be Darnold vs. Wilson because I don't really believe in Brisset at all.  They would have their QB for a decent part of the year, can rely mostly on Chubb like Darnold did with CMC.  It's not ideal, but I'm guessing it's better than a disgruntled Baker on the team.  

I'm not sure who else even goes after Mayfield at this point.  I thought the Steelers, but they just spent a first rd pick on an older QB, so I doubt they want him to sit much, and it's an inter-division trade.  Only other team I can think of is the Seahawks.  

• Upvote 1

seems like the jets have always been adding players through training camp.  they've improved their starting talent base but there's no telling how good their depth is.  and it seems more than one major player goes down during training camp or early in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Cimini points out that Eric Fisher is still available at OT. Former first overall pick would add real depth similar to Moses signing last year. Rumor is he want to start vs be a backup. If I were Jets I would declare open competition and add him. If he wins the job so be it. If not, he had a fair shot and would provide experienced swing tackle back up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Cimini points out that Eric Fisher is still available at OT. Former first overall pick would add real depth similar to Moses signing last year. Rumor is he want to start vs be a backup. If I were Jets I would declare open competition and add him. If he wins the job so be it. If not, he had a fair shot and would provide experienced swing tackle back up.

I'm down. If Connor McDermott sees a snap this season, that's a problem. 

• Upvote 1

I thought he had trade value, but they got caught in the Watson cycle.  If they traded Mayfield, without getting Watson, in a year where the QB draft was abysmal, they look dumb for tanking a possible contender.  If they kept Mayfield, I think it would have been fine to bank on him possibly coming back from injury and then going from there.   
But they went all in on Watson, who most likely will be suspended, and tanked Mayfield's value in the process, and tanking this season anyway, without the picks for next year.  Watson already screwed them over with the last minute switch (every indication was Atlanta).  
I think their big fear was him going to the Steelers and instantly becoming a solid starter, so they want to have some control.  I still think a Mayfield/Darnold trade might end up happening, because at this point, there's no benefit of cutting him.  Both on 5th year options, Darnold won't make any issues, and Mayfield offers more upside for the Panthers.  
I thought Mayfield's 5th year option didn't get picked up.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, #27TheDominator said:

They will 100% sign players and make trades before the season.  I don't know that they will be at the level that anybody here will consider them important. 

0 chance?  Hold out hope?  There is a chance that he will be on the bubble.  Particularly if they add somebody.  He doesn't play specials and he doesn't seem to be a great fit and/or buy into what they are doing.  In his favor is that he played more as the season wore on, but if they are contemplating cutting him, they will try to move him for a pick.  Everybody busts on Blake Cashman, but they did less at LB than WR and they moved him.  Mims has way more ceiling, but they don't appear married to the guy.

I thought this wasn't a thing anymore?  Teams can designate cuts as post June 1st now, so you don't have the wait like before.  The player's association negotiated that a long time ago because good players were losing out on money because they couldn't join teams until after June 1st when teams wanted their depth charts set.  Not teams can maneuver the money earlier.  I guess some teams still hold out hope and dick around with some guys, like Morgan Moses, but it's not what it once was. 

Well take the Raiders for example they right now are against the cap but come June 1 will have 20 million at their disposal as the two june 1 cuts they designated  get off their books.     They most certainly will be players in secondary freeagency ( Suh , k King , d Williams - ex Buffalo tackle - doubtful seem to not be interested.  Finish touches to what’s been an awesome off-season for them.  

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

It did, that’s their dilemma. Allegedly there are a couple teams interested (presumably Seattle and Carolina), and the hold up to getting a deal done is complicated both by how much of that salary the Browns can get the acquiring team to pay, and what Watson’s suspension will look like (if anything). Crazy that Cleveland might seriously be considering keeping Mayfield to carry them thru that suspension, but that’s what Rich Eisen had to say about it last week. Seattle, you’d think, would be chomping at the bit. The only other QB that needs to be traded is Garoppolo, and the 49ers won’t be trading him to the Seahawks. 

Keep an eye on the Deion Jones situation this week.  Reports are that the Falcons will be either trading him or releasing him after June 1st, and would ideally like to trade him to get more money off their books.  It’s possible that teams will just wait ATL out, expecting Jones to be released.  However, it’s been speculated that the Saints are lying in wait, so the Falcons may be willing to work out a good deal with another team to prevent him from signing with a division rival.

Interestingly, it’s was announced last week that Jones would be held out of the rest of OTAs after having a minor procedure to clean up one of his shoulders.  It may just be a coincidence, but the thought crossed my mind that it could have  been an excuse to prevent him from getting injured and spoiling a trade that’s already in place to be announced on June 1st.

I guess we’ll find out later this week.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:34 PM, jetspenguin said:

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

They did, they had to pick it up last year.  The 5th year option has to be decided after the 3rd year and before the 4th year.  It's the same time frame for Darnold, which was why his was picked up last year as well.