Hey, Happy Birthday to The Ghost of Joey Ramone

Was able to see them at Lalapalooza '96, Randall's Island. Metallica, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Wu-Tang Clan... God I miss those days. Youth is wasted on the young.

• Upvote 3

I went to see a beatles cover band at coney island high in nyc once. I turned around and right behind me is joey. I didnt say anything but this was right near the end of his life and he did not look healthy at all, even for him

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Never got to see them live but I DID see The Clash live on the Pier on the West Side where they used to do shows, right next to the big battleship

Cool.  I also only saw The Clash once, in 1984 here in Knoxville after they'd kicked Mick Jones out of the band.  Still, a great show, and I got to see Joe Strummer live. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

RIP, Joey.

I only got to see the Ramones live once, in the early 90's (post Dee Dee), but it was a thrill, and it was the first punk rock show for my wife, so very memorable.

one, two, three, four "what song are they playing?" "isn't it pinhead?"  one, two, three, four, "that was two songs ago", one, two, three four

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Nice thread, SoFla.  Happy Birthday, Joey.

Saw them once at CBGBs and another time at The Factory on Staten Island in the 70s.  Both times, they did not disappoint.  Crazy and QUICK set. lol  I was, and am still, a major fan of Johnny's rapid fire, down-stroking from hell, rhythm guitar work.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Cool.  I also only saw The Clash once, in 1984 here in Knoxville after they'd kicked Mick Jones out of the band.  Still, a great show, and I got to see Joe Strummer live. 

I was a huge fan and saw the Clash many times in New York and Providence, RI at various venues.  The first time I saw them was at the Palladium in New York right when Give 'em Enough Rope had come out.  The Undertones and Sam and Dave were the warm-up bands.  What a frikkin' show.  Also saw them at the famous Bonds shows in Times Square.  Good times.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Are you a Clash fan or something?  :)

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My four year old's favorite band.  He was introduced to them through the Spider Man theme, but say "Hey!" to him and he will invariably respond "Ho! Let's go!"  Ask him his favorite band and he says the Marones,  Ask him where they come from and he says "same as Peter Parker, Forest Hills"

Hey

Ho, Let's go!

I do the same thing every time someone says "Hey"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Was able to see them at Lalapalooza '96, Randall's Island. Metallica, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Wu-Tang Clan... God I miss those days. Youth is wasted on the young.

I was at this show fun time.   I was in the parking lot before the show drinking with friends when a hug ebrawl broke out apparently someone scalped tickets that were fake and it ended with a crowd of people getting plowed by a car.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

My four year old's favorite band.  He was introduced to them through the Spider Man theme, but say "Hey!" to him and he will invariably respond "Ho! Let's go!"  Ask him his favorite band and he says the Marones,  Ask him where they come from and he says "same as Peter Parker, Forest Hills"

This is tremendous.

• Haha 2

The Ramones were the first live rock n' roll concert I ever went to, and still the band I've seen live the most.  I was into bands like Journey and Def Leppard before my friends got me into The Ramones and Hüsker Dü and many others.  My favorite concert tradition was finding my friend Dave in the crowd to yell "Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World" over and over at the end of that fine tune.

RIP and Happy Birthday, Joey!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MykePM said:

The Ramones were the first live rock n' roll concert I ever went to, and still the band I've seen live the most.  I was into bands like Journey and Def Leppard before my friends got me into The Ramones and Hüsker Dü and many others.  My favorite concert tradition was finding my friend Dave in the crowd to yell "Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World" over and over at the end of that fine tune.

RIP and Happy Birthday, Joey!

Now, 100%, we could be friends.  Bob Mould's thunderous guitar work is still some of my favorite.  VERY under-appreciated player, performer and songwriter.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, undertow said:

I was at this show fun time.   I was in the parking lot before the show drinking with friends when a hug ebrawl broke out apparently someone scalped tickets that were fake and it ended with a crowd of people getting plowed by a car.

Lol, I believe it. I remember Chris Cornell stopped playing and got onto a fan for throwing a shoe or something. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Now, 100%, we could be friends.  Bob Mould's thunderous guitar work is still some of my favorite.  VERY under-appreciated player, performer and songwriter.

As much as I love the Ramones, and other bands such as The Descendents, Stiff Little Fingers, Social Distortion, et al, Hüsker Dü is my all-time favorite band.  Their music was the soundtrack to my high school / early college days - those memories that last a lifetime.  Bob is touring again now - in case he's playing near you and you have a chance to see him.

Back on topic (somewhat): The Hüsker Dü version of "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" is one of the few Ramones covers that works.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Lol, I believe it. I remember Chris Cornell stopped playing and got onto a fan for throwing a shoe or something. 

Those Lollapalooza shows at Randalls Island were great I went to one the following year with Tool and Korn.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It has gone over better with my wife than AC/DC (me: if you want blood.. him: you got it!)  Haven't introduced him to Husker Du yet, but I guess I should.  

They are much more melodic than the Ramones.  But listen to Mould's guitar on this classic.  He's so influenced by Johnny Ramone.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Never got to see them live but I DID see The Clash live on the Pier on the West Side where they used to do shows, right next to the big battleship

Was there to.  The Shaffer beer shows moved from Central Park to beside the Intrepid.  Must have seen the Ramones 35 times, feels like it was more than 35.   Always fun, always knew what to expect.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1