Hey, Happy Birthday to The Ghost of Joey Ramone

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, my high school basement band was playing that song over and over (because it was easy and hilarious) until my friend’s mom came down the stairs waving her arms going, “Enough, enough! What if I ran around singing, ‘I’ve got big t!ts!?!’” 

Suffice to say, literally, very close to wetting myself there. 

You guys should have played this one for her by Sparks. lol

"For months, for years,
t!ts were once a source of fun and games at home
And now she says, t!ts are only there to feed our little Joe
So that he'll grow"

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Ready?  Back in the 60s, guess where my Mom took me for my first POS acoustic guitar?  Korvette's. 

Later, as a teen, they had the BEST records and prices.

Damn, that's before my time. I had Sam Goody and Wall to Wall Sound and Video at the Rockaway mall. Is Vintage Vinyl still a thing? That place was awesome. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Damn, that's before my time. I had Sam Goody and Wall to Wall Sound and Video at the Rockaway mall. Is Vintage Vinyl still a thing? That place was awesome. 

Loved Sam Goody, too.  J&R in Manhattan had a sick selection, especially for jazz.

From what I've read, vinyl is making a big comeback with audiophiles.  Bands are re-releasing their past  (and new)recordings on vinyl.  Problem is that the records are really expensive.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It has gone over better with my wife than AC/DC (me: if you want blood.. him: you got it!)  Haven't introduced him to Husker Du yet, but I guess I should.  

Haha, doing better than me. I say, “hey ho” and my son and daughter both scream, “A PIRATES LIFE FOR ME… TAISE UP THE FLAG SCALLYWAG… SHIVER ME TIMBERS!!!!”

I mean, I absolutely love it - but it’s not the Ramones. ?‍☠️

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are you a Clash fan or something?  :)

17 hours ago, JiFapono said:

So random, I've been jamming out to the Ramones all day

That was great. A great live performance is when they do "Beat on the Brat" live, I think in Argentina... Joey is swinging a bat there... his singing is unbelievable, the whole band sounds great at that concert.... the Ramones were never as as famous as the Clash, only posthumously, but they were the mentors for all those groups...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Haha, doing better than me. I say, “hey ho” and my son and daughter both scream, “A PIRATES LIFE FOR ME… TAISE UP THE FLAG SCALLYWAG… SHIVER ME TIMBERS!!!!”

Hey, a black flag is a black flag.  

To be fair he does also spend a decent amount time yelling "OUT GO THE LIGHTS!" during Pat Travers.

• Sympathy 1

Not sure if this thread has any more legs, but I'm so jealous of you guys that lived in an area where lots of alternative music shows were held.  We moved to Cumberland County, Tennessee in 1977, and I had only vaguely heard of "punk rock" and "new wave" until I went to college at the University of Tennessee starting in 1980. All the local radio was top 40 or 70's era arena rock.

It wasn't until 1982 that the school's radio station, WUTK FM, started playing alternative stuff, first on Sunday nights for a couple of hours, then eventually it became standard fare with the rise of bands like REM (who I saw in 1982) and U2.

There were a few bands I got to see locally in Knoxville from time to time, but it was certainly not a regular stop for any of the major indy bands of the 80's. Nashville and Atlanta probably were to some extent, but we wouldn't hear about shows there much at all.

10 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Not sure if this thread has any more legs, but I'm so jealous of you guys that lived in an area where lots of alternative music shows were held.  We moved to Cumberland County, Tennessee in 1977, and I had only vaguely heard of "punk rock" and "new wave" until I went to college at the University of Tennessee starting in 1980. All the local radio was top 40 or 70's era arena rock.

It wasn't until 1982 that the school's radio station, WUTK FM, started playing alternative stuff, first on Sunday nights for a couple of hours, then eventually it became standard fare with the rise of bands like REM (who I saw in 1982) and U2.

There were a few bands I got to see locally in Knoxville from time to time, but it was certainly not a regular stop for any of the major indy bands of the 80's. Nashville and Atlanta probably were to some extent, but we wouldn't hear about shows there much at all.

I grew up on LI in one if the Suffolk county south shore skate/surf towns. No  Iroc Z or guido chains in my school. I was listening to underground music by 6th grade, tbh. One of the things about adolescence I’m most grateful for.

It doesn’t matter when you come to it though, it matters how it affects you. I never liked gutter punk or negative rap. Both forms of underground music - and I learned a lot about my self by how I gravitated towards to positive, reflective, proactive and strong musicians/messages the most. ?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I hear you.  All of us growing up around New York were really lucky when it came to live music and the variety of styles we were exposed to.  It was a bit of a shock to the system moving away from the area and finding that a lot of the musical acts I liked weren't coming to my area on tour.  I'm in New Mexico now, and I mentioned earlier in this thread that Bob Mould (my favorite all-time musician) is on tour.  The closest he's coming to where I live is Palm Springs - a 13-hour drive away.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, roscoeword said:

That was great. A great live performance is when they do "Beat on the Brat" live, I think in Argentina... Joey is swinging a bat there... his singing is unbelievable, the whole band sounds great at that concert.... the Ramones were never as as famous as the Clash, only posthumously, but they were the mentors for all those groups...

I think this is the one you are thinking of - San Bernadino.  Just watched it the other day.  I probably thought about it after a conversation with my sister, but that is a topic for another thread.

• Upvote 3

Saw the Ramones in early 80s when I was in college and they were on campus.  Unforutnatelythe acoustics in the venue were so bad, that every song sounded the same.  Only way you knew one song ended and another began was the sound of Joey yelling "1,2,3, go" or something similar at the beginning of each song.  I remember arguing with my friends about what songs they did. 

What a disappointment.

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Loved Sam Goody, too.  J&R in Manhattan had a sick selection, especially for jazz.

From what I've read, vinyl is making a big comeback with audiophiles.  Bands are re-releasing their past  (and new)recordings on vinyl.  Problem is that the records are really expensive.

How about Crazy Eddies? His prices are inSANE!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Vinyl has been making a big comeback since about six weeks after it went away.

Years ago, I went all in on digital.  Problem for me was with the inherent excessive compression.  The listener lost all the low end and warmth of vinyl, skips and scratches and all.  

Plus, the best part of records was holding it while listening.  Reading all the liner notes & lyrics, looking at the artwork and/or photos, etc.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:04 PM, Integrity28 said:

I just heard a racket upstairs.  Walked in to him pogo-ing on the bed and singing.

Mamma told me

Yes she told me

I'd meet girls like you

She also told me 

Stay away you never know what you'll catch.

He turns six in December.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1