Quincy Williams

What does everyone think about him?

I love that he is Q's brother and he plays the game with intensity. He seemed to make a lot of mistakes last year, bad angles.

Connor Hughes says the team is very high on him though.  But I felt like a lot of the run defense issues were his fault last season.

Can he be a starter on a top defense? Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I love that he is Q's brother and he plays the game with intensity. He seemed to make a lot of mistakes last year, bad angles.

Connor Hughes says the team is very high on him though.  But I felt like a lot of the run defense issues were his fault last season.

What you said. He just runs around. They weren't going to put major resources into LB with Mosley still on the books so just keeping Williams was easier than going the Jarrad Davis route or whatever.

52 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

What you said. He just runs around. They weren't going to put major resources into LB with Mosley still on the books so just keeping Williams was easier than going the Jarrad Davis route or whatever.

Yes

Although they have to be disappointed by how bad Davis was when he played 

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Yeah I guess that sums it up well, he just runs around. Once in a while there is a collision that makes a good video. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He might of been the best player on our D last year.  He was everywhere and hit like a mack truck.

Could he be more disciplined?  Sure.  But that will come as he becomes more comfortable in this defense.  He is a stud.

What a find by Joe Douglas!

Damn I hope this is right. Like I said I like the kid and I am rooting for him. I thought he was average. An exciting kind of average. But average.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think you summed up Q2’s 2021 performance pretty well.  The main hope that I have that he can be better in 2022 comes from the fact that he had no preseason with the Jets at all last year, being a pickup after final cuts.  He was pretty much thrown into the fire quickly due to injuries, without much knowledge of the system.  

Maybe he can be more disciplined in 2022 after a full offseason of focused instruction (as opposed to gameplanning and on-the-job training), on top of the experience he gained last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Neilos said:

I think the teams logic is that the DLine was so bad last year which made LBers look worse. An improved DLine (& secondary) will immediately improve the LB core. ?

Has the Interior D-Line changed all that much? We doubled down and drafted Edge and signed Thomas. Is there a signing I missed? All I remember was hoping they drafted the kid from Connecticut but passed on him a few times. 
Picking up fatties to stop the run is probably one of the easiest positions to fill. Hoping JD finds a couple during cut-downs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

he's a little undersized and did make some errors.  he had a few ints go right through his hands but sometimes a team needs those guys who come in a play hard every play.  look at a guy like james harrison.  he too was undersized but played with some serious intensity.  if quincy can channel some of that into better positional play he could be really good.

• Upvote 1

Basically our entire lbing core looked like they were a step slow off the go and weren't diagnosing plays properly.  They were hitting rbs a yard or two upstream compared to what I thought the system asked for..

It came as a bit of a surprise when the coaching staff blamed the DTs, b/c for the most part they looked like they were doing their jobs to me.  Eg getting downfield, (gap integrity isn't exactly their main focus in this scheme).

But yea, you can't really play like that.  You can't have passive lbers and aggressive DTs, it seems to naturally lead to the sort of run breakdowns we saw last year.

As far as Quincy Williams, he definitely looked like he took a bunch of bad angles, and was exposed multiple times in the passing game.  He just made a bunch of really nice open field tackles where he showed off his range and hitting power.

• Upvote 2

Great topic.  He definitely was an enigma.  He looked like the best player on the field at times fired out of a cannon but then disappeared other times stopping the run or controlling the flats.  

I do worry he might not have great instincts.  Someone with great instincts can overcome slightly slower speed.  But it might be tougher for a guy with blazing speed to overcome poor instincts.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I like that he is active but too many tackles he made were like 5 yards down field. I do think he has potential to be a good LB one day. 

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Fans always over rate effort/intensity and under rate talent.  Quincy is a high motor guy who makes a flashy play every game but was constantly out of position and getting abused on routine screen passes.  But people want him to "develop".  Becton has shown Pro Bowl level talent but fans would trade him for a bag of d!cks for tapping out of games and posting BS workout videos...

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I felt like a lot of the run defense issues were the fault of our safeties and our weak side LB (or lack there of). Davis (LB) was pretty bad, Sherwood was hurt and then relegated to specials as a rookie (same with Nas). Mosley and Quincy actually made plays in the run game last year. 

JMHO. 

The addition of Whitehead will be huge. As will Lawson coming back and the addition of JJ. 

I also think its important to remember that the defense plays as a UNIT. The safety play was bad and the CBs were really green, this led to, schematically, a focus on preventing the pass and allowing the run- TO A DEGREE. You know, safeties playing back, more cover 3, that kind of thing.     

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Damn I hope this is right. Like I said I like the kid and I am rooting for him. I thought he was average. An exciting kind of average. But average.

def not best player on our D, that was trash overall. He had some plays that looked good but he was average at best. Been along time since we had average there...but doesnt change the fact that he was average and really that is all we really need him to be this year.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I like that he is active but too many tackles he made were like 5 yards down field. I do think he has potential to be a good LB one day. 

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

I felt like a lot of the run defense issues were the fault of our safeties and our weak side LB (or lack there of). Davis (LB) was pretty bad, Sherwood was hurt and then relegated to specials as a rookie (same with Nas). Mosley and Quincy actually made plays in the run game last year. 

JMHO. 

The addition of Whitehead will be huge. As will Lawson coming back and the addition of JJ. 

I also think its important to remember that the defense plays as a UNIT. The safety play was bad and the CBs were really green, this led to, schematically, a focus on preventing the pass and allowing the run- TO A DEGREE. You know, safeties playing back, more cover 3, that kind of thing.     

Very good analysis.  We played a lot of 2 high safeties on early downs last year due to the CBs not being able to be left alone and that led to a lot of big run plays.  We now have the talent at CB to play single high on first and second down and are adding a real box/SS in Whitehead who excels in stopping the run and in the screen/read option game.   That should make a big difference for the team defense.

• Upvote 1

"Last year I was going for the big hits but w/ doing that I was missing out on turnovers. I'd get the big hit but Coach would say we could have been off the field & given the offense another possession. Now it's about creating turnovers & being a leader."- Quincy Williams

Talk about self awareness.  This is encouraging coming from the player.  Quincy has all pro ability.  There is a reason Joe D didnt address LB in the draft.  They are high on quincy and believe he can be a superstar.

Really going to be interesting to see what kind of teaching chops the Jets coaches have. They certainly have the raw materials.

Has always been a pet peeve of mine that Jets players did not seem to develop at the same rate as players in other organizations. I think it will be different this time around.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Really going to be interesting to see what kind of teaching chops the Jets coaches have. They certainly have the raw materials.

Has always been a pet peeve of mine that Jets players did not seem to develop at the same rate as players in other organizations. I think it will be different this time around.

Great post.  I think teaching is the best asset of this coaching staff.  Look at the job they did last year w/ the secondary.

This board is going to break loose after upsetting the ravens week 1.

The coming out party is right around the corner.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

"Last year I was going for the big hits but w/ doing that I was missing out on turnovers. I'd get the big hit but Coach would say we could have been off the field & given the offense another possession. Now it's about creating turnovers & being a leader."- Quincy Williams

Talk about self awareness.  This is encouraging coming from the player.  Quincy has all pro ability.  There is a reason Joe D didnt address LB in the draft.  They are high on quincy and believe he can be a superstar.

Wow, what a great quote.  Understanding your weaknesses and addressing them is a sign of a real pro.  

Given Quincy's ability to play the run along with Whitehead, we could run a true 4-2-5 defense and really force teams out of their base offensive packages.

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2022 at 10:59 PM, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

110 tackles, a little more than just running around. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Wow, what a great quote.  Understanding your weaknesses and addressing them is a sign of a real pro.  

Given Quincy's ability to play the run along with Whitehead, we could run a true 4-2-5 defense and really force teams out of their base offensive packages.

Everything is lining up for this team.  Is it September yet?

Like so many of the Jets players Quincy has potential to be a solid contributor to the team. Plays and hits hard but sometimes in looking for the big hit he could have made a play on the ball instead. Like with so many other players on the team It’s up to the staff to “ Coach em Up” and turn potential into production 

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, Maxman said:

One game stands out the when we beat the Titans he was mauling Henry and limited that guys damage that helped us win. If you just coach up the angle issues you mentioned this guys can be a really good LB at least with tackling. Coverage wise that has to be smaller LBs since bigger LBs like Quincy just can’t cover real well normally.