Pretty fair breakdown of Zach Wilson and second year QBs *WARNING PODCAST LINK*

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The Jaguars were basically blocking for him on the way to the end zone!

Fair, but I think Dalton sh*ts his Depends and falls to the ground before he ever thinks about bailing on the pocket though ?.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Fair, but I think Dalton sh*ts his Depends and falls to the ground before he ever thinks about bailing on the pocket though ?.

Or, he throws for 280 yards and three scores, you negative anti-Dalton weasel. 

• Haha 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

Or, he throws for 280 yards and three scores, you negative anti-Dalton weasel. 

I will always stand by the Red Rifle of years past.  I loved Dalton when he came out.  Unfortunately he fell off almost as hard as Matt Schaub did who (ironically) Dalton’s career path kind of reminds me of.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh so we’re going to pretend teams never trade for QBs now.   I see.

It’s hard to see a worthwhile QB agreeing to be traded here in this era of player empowerment until we can establish some level of competency.

the correct approach for the jets is to draft and develop a talent pool and culture on their own. Especially at QB - the Jets need to figure out how to find and develop a young QB or they will never be what we really want. 

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Why? What realistically separates them right now? 

All had disappointing rookie seasons on bad teams but have plenty of talent. 

Has nothing to do with their rookie seasons. Rookie years don’t tell you anything about a prospect when isolated as a data point. I didn’t think Lawrence wasn’t generational to begin with. My biggest concern with Lawrence was that his game was based on short throws throughout college and he needs space in order to generate real velocity in his throws. Those faults remained true after year 1 and that’s my concern with him. I think Wilson and Fields have higher ceilings and their issues are more fixable. 

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Has nothing to do with their rookie seasons. Rookie years don’t tell you anything about a prospect when isolated as a data point. I didn’t think Lawrence wasn’t generational to begin with. My biggest concern with Lawrence was that his game was based on short throws throughout college and he needs space in order to generate real velocity in his throws. Those faults remained true after year 1 and that’s my concern with him. I think Wilson and Fields have higher ceilings and their issues are more fixable. 

I think once you get to the NFL, you get judged by what you have accomplished. They are all on the same playing field in terms of what they have actually done on an NFL field. Projections are projections.

I think all three can be good, but chances are 1 or more will disappoint 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Which you have been saying should be the method for years, haha ?.

Totally agree though.  No matter what I think we’re in a win-win situation.  Zach will take the next step, or we’ll draft another kid who will stand a really good chance right out of the gate!

That’s why I’m in a better mood these days ?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Does Joe Douglas strike you as the type of GM that will do that though?  He 86’d Darnold despite the fact that there were questions as to who he truly was and who was to blame for his production, in order to move on sooner rather than later.  I don’t think anyone afraid Joe hanging on really should be.  If we’re in position to draft one of the top 2 next year, it’s probably because of the QB (obviously there may be other circumstances, but I digress…).  Everyone knows what will have to be done if that’s the case.

If there was truth to the idea that Douglas would have went with Darnold for another year had they not fallen in love with Wilson, then yes, I do imagine he's the type of GM that might just hang on to Wilson for a year too long.  After all, QB's get different treatment in this league.  When you invest a # 2 overall pick into one, you're investing an enormous amount of draft capital in the process.  It's tough for any GM to honestly assess a QB when that variable is thrown into the mix.  

I'll happy to be wrong on that, however.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It might be a full year of getting “@“ like after the Bucs game lol 

I hope so.  Better than being "@'d" like I do every time Josh Allen does something ridiculous.  I would love to finally have a franchise QB in a Jets uniform for the first time in my life.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

It’s hard to see a worthwhile QB agreeing to be traded here in this era of player empowerment until we can establish some level of competency.

I think the rest of the roster will look very good on this team even if Wilson struggles.  So hopefully we can indeed become a destination for a QB regardless of who that QB is.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think the rest of the roster will look very good on this team even if Wilson struggles.  So hopefully we can indeed become a destination for a QB regardless of who that QB is.

That could definitely happen. 

but it sure would be nice to get one of these young QBs to work out and have a couple of years of competitive play with a QB on his rookie deal. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The rule changes you are likely referring to occurred throughout the 2000's and concluded in 2009 when they protected defenseless WRs and made it a penalty to hit QBs below the waste.

Since 2009 (1st round QBs) keeping it general with boom (defined as a very promising year) or bust years.

Boom to Boom: Mahomes, Watson, Luck, Cam Newton, Murray, Burrow, Herbert

Bust to Boom: Matt Stafford (awful to great), Ryan Tannehill (awful to very good), Jared Goff (awful to average QB), Josh Allen (awful to great), Carson Wentz (bad to great to slightly above avg)

Avg to Boom: Lamar Jackson. I wouldn't categorize his rookie season as bust level.

Boom to Bust: RG3. He was Lamar Jackson esque that first year and then fell off quickly.

Boom to IDK: Jameis Winston. Would you want him as your QB? He had a very good rookie year.

Boom to IDK: Baker Mayfield. Had an excellent rookie year. We saw that first hand when he torched us and he's probably now an avg QB at best.

Lots of guys just bust and there were guys were who excellent out of the gate and continued that way. But there are guys who sucked and became good. And vice versa. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone. Guys that I left off were just straight up bust or journeymen guys like Teddy Bridgewater.

For reference, there were 36 QBs drafted in the 1st round over that time. In my estimation:

- 56% showed little promise their rookie year and they proved to be poor starting QBs

- 19% showed great promise their rookie year and they proved to be really good

- 17% showed little promise their rookie year and made significant strides

- 8% showed great promise their rookie year and proved to be poor starting QBs

Some of these guys can still rewrite their careers though.

Appreciate all the work on this analysis.  
- bust rate high (stating the obvious)

- around 23% who show “little promise” as rookies make strides  17%/(56%+17%)… if I did the math right..

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That could definitely happen. 

but it sure would be nice to get one of these young QBs to work out and have a couple of years of competitive play with a QB on his rookie deal. 

Woah calm down buddy.  We're Jets fans.  We don't get to have nice things like that.

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2022 at 9:25 PM, jNYC1 said:

Good list.  The ability to do 1 & 2 consistently can be more important than an elite arm.

It is. Many QBs have the tools but cannot grasp the complexity and speed of the NFL. Browning Nagle had all the tools but couldn’t handle the NFL. Chad Pennington had the smarts and the ability to handle the mental part of the game but injuries and average physical tools did him in. He lasted  years because of his smarts. Put Pennington and Wilson into one body you have an elite QB

• Upvote 1