Collinsworth intrigued by the Jets

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Collinsworth sees the forest for the trees.  Its obviously at this point where this team is going.

Get ready Jet fans!!  Its happening!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me for correcting you, but it is:  "Seeing the forest through the trees."  Can he see the forest through the trees?  Or does he just see trees. 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

Forgive me for correcting you, but it is:  "Seeing the forest through the trees."  Can he see the forest through the trees?  Or does he just see trees. 

It can be used either way so no, you are incorrect.

"You cannot see the wood for trees"  Was a proverb in 1546.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nothing worse than being hyped up before you’ve won anything.

We should be better, but let’s hold off on comparisons to the Bengals until we can win a divisional game.

Yup. In a strange way I prefer it when everyone thinks we are terrible. All the positive hype is nice - but makes many of us nervous as we have seen this before.

Hopefully and all the signs are there that it could be different this time - but our history says otherwise. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I think people need to slow down a bit. The Jets did well in FA and had a great draft. This instant success that’s is being pushed and is expected is premature. We have a lot of new players on the team, I am not expecting them to all gel by the first few weeks of the season. First and foremost we need to be healthy going into the season, this instant success as we all know is fools gold when it comes to the Jets. 

Just because we put together what appears to be a competent team doesn’t mean it’s going to equate to immediate success. I just want to see steady progression, enough with being the next Bengals etc as we know where that mindset has got us before, angry and disappointed. Woody’s marketing, social media team is doing a great job hyping up Jet fans just as he did last year, then the season started. 

Collinsworth is making the comparison, owner of PFF and Analyst for Sunday Night Football. He doesn't think the AFC East is any good besides the Bills. 

• Sympathy 1

charlie brown lucy GIF by Maudit

"they beat the crap out of Cincinnati" 

If memory serves they were down by 11 with like 7 minutes left and then everything broke right 

Play that game 100 times that come back happens maybe once or twice 

They did not beat the crap out of the Bengals. The Bengals took their foot off the gas and the Jets stole one 

"it obviously all comes down to Zach wilson, but... " 

People just skate by this one. Maybe because of all the help they got him, or some version of the offense that breece hall becomes Adrian Peterson 

But it really is all about the QB and always has been. Jets fans see his potential but potential does not win games 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

If they can ground and pound it, eat up clock on offense and stay away from so many 3 and outs and if Lawson and JJ can get consistent pressure they will be a very improved team. Zach not taking 15 yard losses would be a plus lol

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Collinsworth is making the comparison, owner of PFF and Analyst for Sunday Night Football. He doesn't think the AFC East is any good besides the Bills. 

It’s not specifically Collinsworth it’s the fanbase in general. I wasn’t directing the post at the OP. I am sure as you know how much goes into hyping up this team media wise,  then reality hits and banners start flying. I am hoping that starts to change this year, cautiously optimistic Clay.

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

If they can ground and pound it, eat up clock on offense and stay away from so many 3 and outs and if Lawson and JJ can get consistent pressure they will be a very improved team. Zach not taking 15 yard losses would be a plus lol

Replace Zach with sanchito and it's 2010 all over again 

The problem is that game plan was limited 10 years ago and it's even more out of date now 

That afc cg bills chiefs is the ideal game by league office standards. The qbs have to gun it. The league does not  really want ground and pound and 30 point totals. They want over 70 ppg

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Replace Zach with sanchito and it's 2010 all over again 

The problem is that game plan was limited 10 years ago and it's even more out of date now 

That afc cg bills chiefs is the ideal game by league office standards. The qbs have to gun it. The league does not  really want ground and pound and 30 point totals. They want over 70 ppg

The Office Lie GIF

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/rushing.htm

2021 rushes per game entire NFL 26.6

2010  : 27.7

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

Buffalo rushing attempts per game 2021: 27.1

Jets : 22.4 , 49ers: 29.3

The bucs are literally the only team that had success just throwing it all the time 

• Upvote 3

I like Collinsworth.

Collinsworth/Michaels team was way better than Romo/Nantz or Aikman/Buck. Could be because Michaels is 100x better than Nantz (worst in sports, Pats ballwasher) or Buck. But Romo's mojo has worn off and Troy seems tired. Maybe he will do better with a change of network

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

The Office Lie GIF

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/rushing.htm

2021 rushes per game entire NFL 26.6

2010  : 27.7

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-attempts-per-game

Buffalo rushing attempts per game 2021: 27.1

Jets : 22.4 , 49ers: 29.3

The bucs are literally the only team that had success just throwing it all the time 

You just put up numbers that prove on average, the entire league is rushing less than 10 years ago 

I'm too lazy to dig out ppg numbers but all the rule changes since Rex Era has been to favor the passing game and points being scored quickly, hopefully in sportscenter highlights 

Yes There is a Jalen hurts / Lamar Jackson rpo model that some teams subscribe to but those teams aren't winning hardware either. And Zach isn't Lamar Jackson 

I agree The Jets should maybe run more than they did last year but teams can't ground and pound their way to victory anymore. It really has to be Zach that does it 

And JD knows this. The selection of sauce at 4 tells us everything we need to know about the importance of passing in 2022.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

charlie brown lucy GIF by Maudit

"they beat the crap out of Cincinnati" 

If memory serves they were down by 11 with like 7 minutes left and then everything broke right 

Play that game 100 times that come back happens maybe once or twice 

They did not beat the crap out of the Bengals. The Bengals took their foot off the gas and the Jets stole one 

"it obviously all comes down to Zach wilson, but... " 

People just skate by this one. Maybe because of all the help they got him, or some version of the offense that breece hall becomes Adrian Peterson 

But it really is all about the QB and always has been. Jets fans see his potential but potential does not win games 

okay, i can see criticising wilson but at the same time the rest of the team has improved.  it's yet to be seen if they put all of the improvement on the field.  if they do then wilson doesn't need to improve all that much.  guys like rex grossman and blake bortles took their teams into the playoffs.  there have been an awful lot of average qb's on the losing side of superbowls.

• Upvote 1

What I think we have to really look at is this team has A LOT OF FIRE POWER.  I don't care if GW and BH are rookies, when you add them to Moore and Davis plus the new TE room and better OL, I can see this team being explosive and being in position to strike from any where on the field.  With Zachs arm talent and a few more seconds to throw, I think we will be in just about every game because we now have explosive talent.   Add an explosive running game to that and play action, end arounds, screens etc.   It helps having wrs like GW and Moore who can also make plays out of the backfield.   I really think we could be one of the most exciting teams in the league.  

On defense, If we can truly generate a consistent pass rush both on the edge and up the middle, I think our secondary can be VERY good.   The big question mark is the linebackers but even that question might have a positive answer.   We have Jarrad Davis back along with Mosley and Williams.  I know also signed another depth piece as well.  The key is if either Nesrildeen or (or both) Sherwood step up and become legit NFL linebackers.  The biggest worry I have is stopping the run. If we can effectively do that then our defense could be top 15 or higher in the league. 

If we can combine the two and assume we will have average to above average special teams, I really like our chances to have a good season.  Like I said I expect us to be in every game and even when falling behind, I think we will have great come back ability with all of these weapons.   I am really excited for season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

What I think we have to really look at is this team has A LOT OF FIRE POWER.  I don't care if GW and BH are rookies, when you add them to Moore and Davis plus the new TE room and better OL, I can see this team being explosive and being in position to strike from any where on the field.  With Zachs arm talent and a few more seconds to throw, I think we will be in just about every game because we now have explosive talent.   Add an explosive running game to that and play action, end arounds, screens etc.   It helps having wrs like GW and Moore who can also make plays out of the backfield.   I really think we could be one of the most exciting teams in the league.  

On defense, If we can truly generate a consistent pass rush both on the edge and up the middle, I think our secondary can be VERY good.   The big question mark is the linebackers but even that question might have a positive answer.   We have Jarrad Davis back along with Mosley and Williams.  I know also signed another depth piece as well.  The key is if either Nesrildeen or (or both) Sherwood step up and become legit NFL linebackers.  The biggest worry I have is stopping the run. If we can effectively do that then our defense could be top 15 or higher in the league. 

If we can combine the two and assume we will have average to above average special teams, I really like our chances to have a good season.  Like I said I expect us to be in every game and even when falling behind, I think we will have great come back ability with all of these weapons.   I am really excited for season. 

Umm...I have some bad/(good) news for you.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2022/04/02/jarrad-davis-detroit-lions-new-york-jets/7255424001/

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Opps, scratch Davis.  We really need Nesrildeen/Sherwood to step up.  Maybe sign Kwon Alexander if he fits their system.  I definitely see us signing another vet linebaker before the season. 

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You just put up numbers that prove on average, the entire league is rushing less than 10 years ago 

I'm too lazy to dig out ppg numbers but all the rule changes since Rex Era has been to favor the passing game and points being scored quickly, hopefully in sportscenter highlights 

Yes There is a Jalen hurts / Lamar Jackson rpo model that some teams subscribe to but those teams aren't winning hardware either. And Zach isn't Lamar Jackson 

I agree The Jets should maybe run more than they did last year but teams can't ground and pound their way to victory anymore. It really has to be Zach that does it 

And JD knows this. The selection of sauce at 4 tells us everything we need to know about the importance of passing in 2022.

1 rush attempt less over 10 years

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

I like Collinsworth.

Collinsworth/Michaels team was way better than Romo/Nantz or Aikman/Buck. Could be because Michaels is 100x better than Nantz (worst in sports, Pats ballwasher) or Buck. But Romo's mojo has worn off and Troy seems tired. Maybe he will do better with a change of network

Agreed.  Romo is brutal. Every 10 seconds its "Jim this, Jim that, Jim, Jim, Jim Jim"

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I don't think people honestly expect a true "ground and pound" approach from the 2022 Jets ... more of a "run first" mentality, yes - but not a team that runs it for 3 / 4 / 5 yards and a cloud of dust every time and only throws out of necessity. 

What we won't be is a team that has Zach throwing 35 - 40 times every week and looking for him to air it out all over the field. He'll be expected to make a difference, but also to make use of the players around him and not try to do it all himself.

• Upvote 1