Bob Wischusen concern

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Only the real superstar broadcasters make the big bucks and can afford to hold only one gig down. For years, Marv Albert announced for how many teams/events? When he got to the big time/national network level, he was then able to pick his spots, until his underwear modeling gig got him into some hot water. Somehow, that was a conflict. Nowadays, they might even pay him on OnlyFans. 

Funny you should bring up Marv. i was watching the last inning of the 86 WS last night and after the Mets won to my surprise it was Marv Albert on the field interviewing Ray Knight and Mookie Wilson. we all know he is the Knicks announcers and does the NBA but back then he was working the WS as a field reporter.

amazing when you think about Vin Scully, Joe Garagiola and Marv Albert. 3 Legends working the 86 WS.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

He’s broadcasting NHL and NCAA football and basketball for ESPN. Shouldn’t the voice of the Jets be exclusively focused on the Jets? You don’t see Bob Papa doing non Giants stuff. 

He wanted to witness winners.

6 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

He’s broadcasting NHL and NCAA football and basketball for ESPN. Shouldn’t the voice of the Jets be exclusively focused on the Jets? You don’t see Bob Papa doing non Giants stuff. 

You mean like when Papa does Boxing?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

Funny you should bring up Marv. i was watching the last inning of the 86 WS last night and after the Mets won to my surprise it was Marv Albert on the field interviewing Ray Knight and Mookie Wilson. we all know he is the Knicks announcers and does the NBA but back then he was working the WS as a field reporter.

amazing when you think about Vin Scully, Joe Garagiola and Marv Albert. 3 Legends working the 86 WS.

Man I loved Kiner Murphy and Nelson on TV and radio when they rotated and then Murphy was just fantastic on radio. But Scully was really the best and he did it forever. I have not watched a baseball game on TV since 1996 when they cancelled the world series and for a long time I was a far bigger Mets fan than Jets fan and I was a big Jets fan from 69 on.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

You are really going to double down? You mean like the Giants do with Bob Papa?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Papa will drop any commitment for the NYG. Do we know that to be true for Wischusen? I just think Bob W is getting too big for this role and want a more dedicated voice of the Jets. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

Guess you don't listen to NFL Network on Sirius?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Man I loved Kiner Murphy and Nelson on TV and radio when they rotated and then Murphy was just fantastic on radio. But Scully was really the best and he did it forever. I have not watched a baseball game on TV since 1996 when they cancelled the world series and for a long time I was a far bigger Mets fan than Jets fan and I was a big Jets fan from 69 on.

I think if we did a poll we would find about 90% of Jet fans are Met fans.

and i bet most of the Yankees fans are the guys who want to fire everyone after a year or 2. or think that we can get any player if we throw money at them. funny that now the roles will be reversed. Steve Cohn will be throwing the money around and Hal wont. they can kiss Aaron Judge goodbye. no way Hal will give him the money he wants.

its going to take me a while to get used to not shopping at the dollar store anymore for the Mets.

6 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

Papa will drop any commitment for the NYG. Do we know that to be true for Wischusen? I just think Bob W is getting too big for this role and want a more dedicated voice of the Jets. 

This is beyond silly. They all have other gigs.  The other jobs don't affect his performance at all.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:41 PM, LongTimeJetFan said:

You worried about his voice or his ability to memorize the Jets roster #s when the season starts?

He is like the Curtis Martin of announcers. He has plenty of carries left, nothing to worry about.

On 5/21/2022 at 1:33 AM, johnnysd said:

I grew up with guys who got into fights over yankee vs Mets announcers. Kiner, Nelson and Murphy vs rizzuto, white and messer.

Of all the Jets radio play-by-play guys over the past 40 years, BW is by far my least favorite. So of course, he has had the job for 20 years just to spite me.

At least he has calmed down on his imaginary "breaks a tackle" calls for Jets RBs that would drive me nuts. It was absurd when NFL films would layer his audio over footage. 

Spencer Ross the best, btw.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Of all the Jets radio play-by-play guys over the past 40 years, BW is by far my least favorite. So of course, he has had the job for 20 years just to spite me.

At least he has calmed down on his imaginary "breaks a tackle" calls for Jets RBs that would drive me nuts. It was absurd when NFL films would layer his audio over footage. 

Spencer ross brings back memories of racing from Roosevelt. I think he also did a thanksgiving morning high school game every year.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:08 AM, y2k8 said:

I miss Howard David.  Jets were also a competitive team back then.  Those Sundays feel so long ago

• Upvote 1

thank you i thought it was just me.
  • Upvote 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Trotter said:

I grew up with guys who got into fights over yankee vs Mets announcers. Kiner, Nelson and Murphy vs rizzuto, white and messer.

I loved Rizzuto, White and Messer.  But was pretty sure that Rizzuto would be gone after the seventh inning,  (That huckleberry.)

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, doitny said:

Maybe an old replay of that interview is what turned Zach into a big Mookie fan.  

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:06 PM, doitny said:

Marv did a lot of NFL games in the 90’s too. He was the greatest

• Upvote 1