Bleacher Report: Zach Wilson dark horse to lead in TD passes

1 OF 6

Michael Conroy/Associated Press

QB Zach Wilson, New York Jets

Zach Wilson did not look like the breakout star the Jets were hoping for when they drafted him No. 2 overall last year. Despite his injury-plagued and inconsistent rookie showing, the Gang Green signal-caller is poised for a successful sophomore campaign.

New York has surrounded the 22-year-old with a slew of weapons. The team's receiving corps appears to be one of the deepest in the league following the addition of Garrett Wilson, the No. 10 overall pick last month. Wilson will link up with incumbents Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios to form a dangerous crew of pass-catchers for Wilson to target.

With rookie running back Breece Hall augmenting a backfield that already featured an up-and-coming star in Michael Carter, the Jets have set Wilson up with everything required to put up big numbers in 2022.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont know if a team could have done a better job building around a young qb then the Jets have w/ wilson.  He has been set up for success.

I honestly dont think he cannot succed.  He has the scheme, the players and the coaching to be a very good qb in the league.

It is going to be so exciting to watch this kid explode onto the scene this year.

The only thing they missed on was a proven WR1, but it may work out much better in the long run anyway. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The only thing they missed on was a proven WR1, but it may work out much better in the long run anyway. 

Does that need to be in the formula?  Is having multiple B and B+ receivers that much worse then having an A receiver a B receiver and a few Cs??

I kind of like the pick ur poison receiving core we have.  And i do believe that at some point during this season, either moore or wilson are going to establish themselves as a clear cut #1 guy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Does that need to be in the formula?  Is having multiple B and B+ receivers that much worse then having an A receiver a B receiver and a few Cs??

I kind of like the pick ur poison receiving core we have.  And i do believe that at some point during this season, either moore or wilson are going to establish themselves as a clear cut #1 guy.

The only reason it seemed necessary was there was NO ONE open on way too many plays.  It’s not cool to do that to a new QB.  

They did so well in TEs and RB and there is lots of promise in the WR room.  That will do.  

• Upvote 2

I doubt it.  This is going to be a very balanced offense.  My expectations are somewhere in between 2019 and 2021 Jimmy Garropolo’s passing numbers, with a couple of rushing TDs thrown in there (probably 3-5).

621A4B2F-2536-430C-BB31-56B8F65F55D3.thumb.jpeg.11636667169aa0e74ec5638aa058e0bf.jpeg
8A1AA785-E6CC-442E-936D-6FB43E88D90F.thumb.jpeg.e5a5d3a267d029ace512844827db67a0.jpeg

Those TD numbers  are similar to Josh Allen’s in 2019:

3CC659F8-DE13-41E4-B380-BA9B2EB3BB45.thumb.jpeg.35e43b522a61b778a880fd2f53d48d51.jpeg

Get anywhere near these 3 seasons and I’ll be happy.

• Upvote 4

If this offense is humming along right, ZW shouldn’t be throwing it enough to get a ton of tds. Garoppolo threw for 27 tds in 2019 and 20 tds in 2021 (missed two games). ZW can have a great year and not get anywhere close to top end td numbers. 

I think Zach can end up being much better than Jimmy, but it’s helpful to understand expectations within the office that LaFleur is running. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

A Veteran Swing tackle as well. I don’t think Max is ready to be thrown into the fire yet. Edoga  definitely not. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont know if a team could have done a better job building around a young qb then the Jets have w/ wilson.  He has been set up for success.

I honestly dont think he cannot succed.  He has the scheme, the players and the coaching to be a very good qb in the league.

It is going to be so exciting to watch this kid explode onto the scene this year.

I think he is setup more for success down the road a bit more than immediate but it is possible.  

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I just came to the disgusting realization that I'm going to be targeting an abnormally high volume of NYJ's in fantasy football drafts this season.

I'm in a dynasty league and I already have Carter so I need Hall for insurance. I have a feeling once Hall gets going, they are going to use Carter as a WR almost exclusively.  

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have been doing the a bunch of B thing for years.  Hasn't worked really.  

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I doubt it.  This is going to be a very balanced offense.  My expectations are somewhere in between 2019 and 2021 Jimmy Garropolo’s passing numbers, with a couple of rushing TDs thrown in there (probably 3-5).

621A4B2F-2536-430C-BB31-56B8F65F55D3.thumb.jpeg.11636667169aa0e74ec5638aa058e0bf.jpeg
8A1AA785-E6CC-442E-936D-6FB43E88D90F.thumb.jpeg.e5a5d3a267d029ace512844827db67a0.jpeg

Those TD numbers  are similar to Josh Allen’s in 2019:

3CC659F8-DE13-41E4-B380-BA9B2EB3BB45.thumb.jpeg.35e43b522a61b778a880fd2f53d48d51.jpeg

Get anywhere near these 3 seasons and I’ll be happy.

Personally  I think the Jets are going to go full run first this season. I can't  think of any other reason to take a RB so high in the draft. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Personally  I think the Jets are going to go full run first this season. I can't  think of any other reason to take a RB so high in the draft. 

I could see it, especially early on, but then I remember that San Francisco/Shanahan style of offense always relies on a multitude of plug and play backs so the Breece Hall selection didn’t really surprise me all that much.  That same style of offense is all about being balanced, almost to a perfect degree, so we’ll see!  I can see our RBs having numbers similar to, maybe even better than, the 1-2 punch of Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman in 2016, when Kyle was the OC of the Falcons:

3B0E642D-37A7-40C1-BF63-68C6A43BF2BC.thumb.jpeg.e9a1e7dbf802a90ea3cde1d4d3257bbd.jpeg

• Upvote 1