Bleacher Report: Zach Wilson dark horse to lead in TD passes

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I doubt it.  This is going to be a very balanced offense.  My expectations are somewhere in between 2019 and 2021 Jimmy Garropolo’s passing numbers, with a couple of rushing TDs thrown in there (probably 3-5).

621A4B2F-2536-430C-BB31-56B8F65F55D3.thumb.jpeg.11636667169aa0e74ec5638aa058e0bf.jpeg
8A1AA785-E6CC-442E-936D-6FB43E88D90F.thumb.jpeg.e5a5d3a267d029ace512844827db67a0.jpeg

Those TD numbers  are similar to Josh Allen’s in 2019:

3CC659F8-DE13-41E4-B380-BA9B2EB3BB45.thumb.jpeg.35e43b522a61b778a880fd2f53d48d51.jpeg

Get anywhere near these 3 seasons and I’ll be happy.

Agreed 

The offense wants to be balanced and they have talked about that.

Also, you don’t try to trade for a #1 WR all offseason and then draft Garrett Wilson at 10 overall if you are planning to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Personally  I think the Jets are going to go full run first this season. I can't  think of any other reason to take a RB so high in the draft. 

Agreed. Two talented backs to split the load and as a precaution for injury. Two big TE sets and two quick WR who can beat man coverage. 

It sounds like the best plan & talent we’ve had in years. Now it’s all about execution and play calling

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Personally  I think the Jets are going to go full run first this season. I can't  think of any other reason to take a RB so high in the draft. 

Packers took AJ dillon in the 2nd round of the draft then signed aaron jones to a big contract.  Dont think their plan was to take the ball out of Aaron rodgers hands and be run first.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont know if a team could have done a better job building around a young qb then the Jets have w/ wilson.  He has been set up for success.

I honestly dont think he cannot succed.  He has the scheme, the players and the coaching to be a very good qb in the league.

It is going to be so exciting to watch this kid explode onto the scene this year.

He’s going to hit some “Mahomes type” plays this year, with All the speed and numerous more options he will have that weren’t available last year.

Kid has one of the top physical skill sets in the league, one of the best arms.  It’s also very obvious that he has put a lot of time in bulking up and probably also just filling out more due to his age over the offseason.

Haters can make all the jokes they want.  Wilson is going to be a very dangerous player in this league, just like he ascended during his BYU career, he’s going to write the same story in the NFL.

The only thing I could see holding him back would be if he wasn’t exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer ie Darnold, Sanchez, but that’s not the case, he’s highly intelligent.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Packers took AJ dillon in the 2nd round of the draft then signed aaron jones to a big contract.  Dont think their plan was to take the ball out of Aaron rodgers hands and be run first.

Right, because Zach is every bit as good as Rogers so no need to run first. 

Do you even think about what you are going yo write? Zach was horrible last season, there is no denying  this. Sure he finished well but there is no telling it carries over, at least it never did with Darnold. The best thing for him is to have a solid run game he can lean on and not be pressured in a hero role. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He’s going to hit some “Mahomes type” plays this year, with All the speed and numerous more options he will have that weren’t available last year.

Kid has one of the top physical skill sets in the league, one of the best arms.  It’s also very obvious that he has put a lot of time in bulking up and probably also just filling out more due to his age over the offseason.

Haters can make all the jokes they want.  Wilson is going to be a very dangerous player in this league, just like he ascended during his BYU career, he’s going to write the same story in the NFL.

The only thing I could see holding him back would be if he wasn’t exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer ie Darnold, Sanchez, but that’s not the case, he’s highly intelligent.

This should be pinned and studied daily by the majority of jet fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I wonder if the people who sincerely believe Zach is a bust as of now think that these kinds of articles/media pieces are gaslighting them. I'm not saying Zach is guaranteed to be good or that the media are prophets (Cowherd probably still loves Darnold) but it is kind of fascinating to me that there seems (media-wise ) to be lots of optimism regarding the Jets and for Zack a number of people, despite his rookie season, not projecting him as a developing into a Alex Smith type ok QB but potentially something more. 

I mean I hope it happens but things don't usually work out for me in life. 

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Some of us know we get @-ed a lot if Zach busts.   That street goes both ways lol.  

Joe W. Namath is living that YOLO life in this very thread. I salute it. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m curious when the QB of a 5-6 win team led the NFL in TD passes?

Didnt D Watson do that with his 4-12 glory year (was actually 33) ? ... I would have thought so based on the hype flying around here.

Edited by Dunnie

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This should be pinned and studied daily by the majority of jet fans.

It’s an oldie but goodie that was originally posted right around this time back in 2019, except @JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF was talking about Sam Darnold then.

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Didnt D Watson do that with his 4-12 glory year (was actually 33) ? ... I would have thought so based on the hype flying around here.

It's as if Jets fans can't actually believe a QB is capable of performing well on a bad team, so they have to make up reasons to suggest Watson really isn't good

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I just came to the disgusting realization that I'm going to be targeting an abnormally high volume of NYJ's in fantasy football drafts this season.

Breece Hall was always going to be my RB2 this season behind Jonathan Taylor since I first put on his tape. I really can’t believe he’s a jet still. 

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I kind of like the pick ur poison receiving core we have.  And i do believe that at some point during this season, either moore or wilson are going to establish themselves as a clear cut #1 guy.

Why not both? Can only hope. 

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Can’t believe that the addition of Tomlinson and the return of Becton (no H) wouldn’t also warrant some mention. Getting the running game going and keeping the pass rushers  at bay will help Zach more than anything. 

Same goes for the 3 new TEs

• Upvote 1

It would be nice to have a QB that can put up a few 3TD/0 Int games every year.  Or even a few 3 TD/1 Int games…

They have been few and far between for our starters in the last 10 years.

Darnold only mustered one 3TD/0 Int game.

Fitzpatrick had 3.

Geno and Sanchez had a couple.

Need to have a few of those types of big games to challenge for TD leader.  It’s tough in our division because the defenses are good, with strong man coverage secondaries.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s an oldie but goodie that was originally posted right around this time back in 2019, except @JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF was talking about Sam Darnold then.

Darnold was Fool’s Gold.  He looked outstanding for most of the last quarter of his rookie season, also playing with zero talent around him.  I was wrong.  You like going far back in the archives on this site?  Find the ones where I wrote that I wanted the Jets to draft Mahomes in Rd 1 and that Mahomes would tear up the league from jump street when he gets to play, same as Marino did.

No one can be right all the time.  I certainly am not.  If you think I just tout every new Jet QB as the goods thats definitely not the case.  I hated the Sanchez pick, hated the Smith pick. Love the Wilson pick.  Once again, the majority of 1st Rd QBs bust, so by thinking that way you have the odds on your side, every time.

Tony Romo, who should be way more of an analyst of QBs than myself said “Darnold will become the #1 Rated QB in the NFL....quickly”.  LOTS of things went bad for Darnold, from the total lack of talent around him, the poor coaching, taking beatings, I think the kid would just rather be surfing at this point.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont know if a team could have done a better job building around a young qb then the Jets have w/ wilson.  He has been set up for success.

I honestly dont think he cannot succed.  He has the scheme, the players and the coaching to be a very good qb in the league.

It is going to be so exciting to watch this kid explode onto the scene this year.

You are the most optimistic human being i’ve ever met.

Makes a me a tad queasy.

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Does that need to be in the formula?  Is having multiple B and B+ receivers that much worse then having an A receiver a B receiver and a few Cs??

I kind of like the pick ur poison receiving core we have.  And i do believe that at some point during this season, either moore or wilson are going to establish themselves as a clear cut #1 guy.

Davis is well ahead of both if he can stay healthy.