Bleacher Report: Zach Wilson dark horse to lead in TD passes

13 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He’s going to hit some “Mahomes type” plays this year, with All the speed and numerous more options he will have that weren’t available last year.

Kid has one of the top physical skill sets in the league, one of the best arms.  It’s also very obvious that he has put a lot of time in bulking up and probably also just filling out more due to his age over the offseason.

Haters can make all the jokes they want.  Wilson is going to be a very dangerous player in this league, just like he ascended during his BYU career, he’s going to write the same story in the NFL.

The only thing I could see holding him back would be if he wasn’t exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer ie Darnold, Sanchez, but that’s not the case, he’s highly intelligent.

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This should be pinned and studied daily by the majority of jet fans.

I thought you two are one and the same?

I expect Zach to make a big jump this year…. Some of us just need to tone down the hyperbole, while others need to tone down the criticism  

Let It Be Beatles GIF by Indonesian Idol

12 hours ago, yvj said:

I wonder if the people who sincerely believe Zach is a bust as of now think that these kinds of articles/media pieces are gaslighting them. I'm not saying Zach is guaranteed to be good or that the media are prophets (Cowherd probably still loves Darnold) but it is kind of fascinating to me that there seems (media-wise ) to be lots of optimism regarding the Jets and for Zack a number of people, despite his rookie season, not projecting him as a developing into a Alex Smith type ok QB but potentially something more. 

I mean I hope it happens but things don't usually work out for me in life. 

All Zach is doing is working with coaches. We really haven't  seen him or any Jets for that matter all that much so unless the media types are privileged to certain information the we are fans are not, they really don't  know a whole lot more than we do which is just what our gut is telling us. 

I'm really not sure what was happening with Wilson last season. He was very inaccurate,  made a lot of bad decisions and then at the end of the seasons went into a mode where he just started to throw a larger % of high percentage passes and looked better. 

I have a feeling if Zach is not loading up to throw a lot of splash plays, we are going to hear how the CS is holding him back.

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

As much as I disliked Wilson as the pick last year, I do think he's poised to break out at a significant amount this year.  

After he came back from injury, he was very good at limiting his bad throws, the ones he had to get out of his system because they worked against the below average college guys.  I think my comparison was Jordan Love/Ryan Fitzpatrick type, but he needed time to learn.  Last year, he showed very good improvement in most areas, even though it doesn't really show up on the stats. 

One of his major issues last year, was the corner strike throw as I describe it.  Essentially, as a baseball term, he would would try to paint the corner of the strike zone as the perfect pitch.  He didn't understand that he needed to move on from that option, rather showing his Fitzpatrick side by trying to make that perfect throw.  

I tried to write an series on his improvement, but the GamePass All-22 is just garbage now with the interface, and I can't even figure out how to slow it down so I can point out what I'm talking about.  

The other aspect that helps is that he had no help at all last year from his receivers.  Be it drops, lazy routes, or just pure lack of talent, it just wasn't there.  Barring injury, I'd bet the over on pretty much all stats for Wilson this year.  

I don't  think you can lay everything at the feet of the WR bad play last season. White and Flacco had success that Zach didn't  have when they played. 

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think you can lay everything at the feet of the WR bad play last season. White and Flacco had success that Zach didn't  have when they played. 

Yeah but it's a little bit different when you have a ROOKIE qb that is getting no help from the supporting cast. The wheels come off sooner. He was already in his head and having the times when he actually made a good decision and play turn into a drop etc leads to the wheels coming off sooner.

I also saw Mike White look like dogsh*t against the Bills. And doubt Flacco would have looked better than White did (or White himself) in that last game throwing to Tariq Black in 35 mph winds.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

LaFleur isn’t necessarily a clone of Shanahan or his brother, but all indications are it’s a run first offense and now he has the pieces to run the ball so that plus TEs is a QBs best friend so I expect Zach to improve but he ain’t leading the NFL in TD passes lol

29 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah but it's a little bit different when you have a ROOKIE qb that is getting no help from the supporting cast. The wheels come off sooner. He was already in his head and having the times when he actually made a good decision and play turn into a drop etc leads to the wheels coming off sooner.

I also saw Mike White look like dogsh*t against the Bills. And doubt Flacco would have looked better than White did (or White himself) in that last game throwing to Tariq Black in 35 mph winds.

The rookie QB thing doesn't  wash. When White played, Zach actually had more game experience  than he did and he looked good except for the Bills game which happened to be the leagues best D. White just didn't  have the ability to play against them which is why he is a backup, but you bring this up like Zach could have done better which with the way he was playing before his injury is very doubtful. My point is Zach could have played better to start off his career in spite of the team around him

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m curious when the QB of a 5-6 win team led the NFL in TD passes?

ZW leads the NFL in TD passes were not a 5-6 win team

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The rookie QB thing doesn't  wash. When White played, Zach actually had more game experience  than he did and he looked good except for the Bills game which happened to be the leagues best D. White just didn't  have the ability to play against them which is why he is a backup, but you bring this up like Zach could have done better which with the way he was playing before his injury is very doubtful. My point is Zach could have played better to start off his career in spite of the team around him

Whites the backup because he's less talented.  No one cares that he had one game on his resume worth talking about.   And experience or lack of it isn't sorely game experience, it's camp work, off-season training, study time and coaching.  Not a handful of games with a weak lineup

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe the receivers looked bad playing with the rookie QB because they really hated playing with that rookie QB.

Yeah that's it.  They open themselves up for blame to stick it to the QB.  The  QB everyone seems to get along with.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Whites the backup because he's less talented.  No one cares that he had one game on his resume worth talking about.   And experience or lack of it isn't sorely game experience, it's camp work, off-season training, study time and coaching.  Not a handful of games with a weak lineup

The relative success of both Mike White and Josh Johnson invalidates the arguments against both the offensive system and the alleged dearth of supporting cast. If the Jets offense gets off to a slow start, there’s going to be a lot of anxiety inside the building to put Zach on the bench, because he was the common denominator in that offense looking like balls last season. They know the offense is good, they know the system can move the ball with the skills guys they have, and they also know that it was Zach Wilson holding it back. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The relative success of both Mike White and Josh Johnson invalidates the arguments against both the offensive system and the alleged dearth of supporting cast. If the Jets offense gets off to a slow start, there’s going to be a lot of anxiety inside the building to put Zach on the bench, because he was the common denominator in that offense looking like balls last season. They know the offense is good, they know the system can move the ball with the skills guys they have, and they also know that it was Zach Wilson holding it back. 

Because one game isn't the same as a whole season.  And are you thinking MW was going to pass for 400 yards per game and shatter the NFL passing yards record? 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, slats said:

The whole team was rookies. My feeling is that the rookie head coach and rookie OC really thought taking over the NY Jets was gonna be a lot easier than it turned out to be. The offensive leaders on the team were all rookies: Wilson, Moore, and MC1. The team was just ridiculously young from top to bottom. Compare that now to the situation Mac Jones walked into. Mike White had three+ years in the NFL before that Bengals start so “game experience,” feels like a bit of cherry picking there. And no doubt, he managed the **** out of that game, but that was pretty much it. Trevor Lawrence was no better than Zach, but for some reason he’s getting way more cushion for what he was able to do in such a toxic environment. Probably because he was “generational” for so long and has a lot of guys in the media who’ve been talking him up forever. 

Zach was the tale of two QBs last year, with neither of them being very good but one -at least- being better than the other. He needs to learn to mix the hero ball in with the game managing and find the right mix. The team leaders last year are all now first year players, and they added GWilson and Hall and the three TEs to the mix. I love the veteran help at TE, because it’s really all the veteran help he has outside of Davis (who needs to be much better this year) and Berrios. Still super young, even the first year guys are more potential than production, but the talent appears to be there. I wouldn’t put any money on Zach leading the league in TDs, but he’s certainly in very good position to take a leap this season. 

Well the caveat is that all the guys you mentioned need to take that same leap. If that happens, things can get good really fast. The one guy I expect to explode on the scene is Hall. He has a good OL to run behind. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Well the caveat is that all the guys you mentioned need to take that same leap. If that happens, things can get good really fast. The one guy I expect to explode on the scene is Hall. He has a good OL to run behind. 

I would also hope Carter should be able to be even better in year two!

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I actually think a lot of what you mentioned  is over blown. All that stuff is important  but none of it simulates in game conditions. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I actually think a lot of what you mentioned  is over blown. All that stuff is important  but none of it simulates in game conditions. 

So why did teams have QBs sit for 3 years or so before starting them?  You don't think Roger's benefitted by learning before he started?  How is it possible that 3 off seasons, camp, coaching, countless NFL practices, etc wouldn't help you along?  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So why did teams have QBs sit for 3 years or so before starting them?  You don't think Roger's benefitted by learning before he started?  How is it possible that 3 off seasons, camp, coaching, countless NFL practices, etc wouldn't help you along?  

I don't think  that's  an apples to apples comparison.  Rogers was being groomed to take over from Favre. Do you think White was being groomed to be the #1 QB to take over from Wilson. 

45 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think  that's  an apples to apples comparison.  Rogers was being groomed to take over from Favre. Do you think White was being groomed to be the #1 QB to take over from Wilson. 

Roger’s was total garbage worse than Wilson his 1st 2 seasons on the bench.  By the time he took the field for real he was really good and ready - without playing.  

You improve with years on the bench, in the room, and running practice offenses.  

Excited to see Zach play with the added muscle.   Anyone who has gained significant muscle knows that it makes you feel like a Superman. I think that will help him with the obvious fear he played with in the pocket last year.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

He had like 3 TD passed last year lol….lets ease up a bit.

LOL yup. You just know ZW had a good rookie season when ESPN shows the same 3 plays from like 9 different camera angles over and over to give the talking heads time to us how much potential he has!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Roger’s was total garbage worse than Wilson his 1st 2 seasons on the bench.  By the time he took the field for real he was really good and ready - without playing.  

You improve with years on the bench, in the room, and running practice offenses.  

Look, Rogers was the heir apparent in GB. If you think White was getting the same type of attention,  nothing more for.me to say.

3 hours ago, slats said:

The whole team was rookies. My feeling is that the rookie head coach and rookie OC really thought taking over the NY Jets was gonna be a lot easier than it turned out to be. 

While I agree with most of what you wrote, I don't think that Saleh had any illusions about how hard turning around the team was going to be. JD too. They showed tremendous patience last year. They didn't panic when the team and Wilson started off so badly; first the O was terrible and then the D showed their flaws. Many were calling for LaFleur's head; free White, free Mims, etc. The staff showed patience and confidence. JD is showing the same patience and confidence as well.

I am hoping for a doubling of wins, but in reality as long as the team is dramatically improved, in all of the games, and Wilson takes a big step forward. IMO, the team gets the time this year to improve. Next year, however, it may be playoffs or bust - it would be time.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

No he isn’t but doesn’t change why 3 years worth of time practicing etc with a NFL team odds is advantageous on its own no matter the end game