Jets 2020 Draft Class Enters Critical Third Season With big Questions Still Looming

Denzel-Mims-scaled.jpg

As the 2020 New York Jets draft class prepares to enter their pivotal third season, the team has more questions than answers in regards to where the group is trending.  While some fans have already written the class off as a collection of busts, the reality is that the jury is still out on the most important players in the class.

Left tackle Mekhi Becton threw defenders around in ways that few NFL fans have ever seen during his debut season but missed significant time due to injury.  Then, with high hopes entering his sophomore season, Becton was knocked out for the remainder of the season in week one.   It was a dislocated knee cap that did Becton in; the result of right guard Greg Van Roten being thrown in to the back of Becton’s leg.

Despite not being able to get on the field due to his dislocated knee, one could argue that Becton had a better second season that the disaster that was Denzel Mims.  After a decent showing as a rookie, Mims saw his playing time and production regress in ways nobody could have imagined.  From 357 yards in 8 games as a rookie under a lost head coach in Adam Gase, to just 8 receptions for 133 yards in year two.

As the top two picks in the class under Joe Douglas who made Becton and Mims the 11th and 59th picks respectively, their success is key to the class as a whole.  Both flashed early on, but neither could have had a worse second season.

With his job on the line, it now appears Mims is working to re-shape his frame and become a more physically imposing receiver, rather than just relying solely on his speed.

#ComebackSzn for @Zel5Zelly? On his podcast, @MoveTheSticks says he’s heard Denzel Mims has been “off the charts” in the offseasons.

Mims is said to be in great shape and finally 100% healthy. pic.twitter.com/fkyQegEvM1

— uSTADIUM (@uSTADIUM) May 4, 2022

After Becton and Mims the Jets went with safety Ashtyn Davis and defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga.  To date, Davis has shown improvement and his ceiling is that of a quality starter.  His floor likely being an NFL backup.  Zuniga on the other hand, will be lucky to make the roster in year three. Through two seasons he has appeared in just 11 games, picking up eight tackles and one sack.

Right behind Zuniga was running back La’Mical Perine who will probably find himself on another roster in 2022 after being taken with the 120th pick.  Quarterback James Morgan who was taken with the 125th pick is long gone and promising offensive lineman Cam Clark was forced to retire due to a spinal injury.

The best value pick in the class was fifth-round cornerback Bryce Hall who went 158th overall and should be a good starter at the position in the future.  Punter Braden Mann has missed time due to injury but appears to be safe for now.

One of this team's best value picks in years. Bryce Hall stays in the receiver's hip pocket throughout the entire route before batting the pass away. pic.twitter.com/Vr1dkjxKWW

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) December 23, 2021

So what does all of this tell us?  That there were undoubtedly some misses in Zuniga, Perine and Morgan.  However, should Becton manage to stay healthy and Mims find a way to contribute even as a fourth receiver, the class will have yielded starting level players at left tackle, safety and cornerback while finding some depth at receiver.

Not the best haul you’ll ever see, but it wouldn’t be all that bad for GM Joe Douglas and his staff’s first ever class.  As Jets fans can attest…you can do a lot worse.

The post Jets 2020 Draft Class Enters Critical Third Season With big Questions Still Looming appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ashtyn Davis played but he had like the worst run fits anyone's ever seen at nfl safety. The jets signed 3 vet safeties (whitehead, Joyner and park) and converted Jason pinnock all so that Davis wouldn't be anywhere near the starting defense again 

Yeah…. But he was a walk-on in football and track. That has to be worth something , no?

I have high hopes for becton, mims snd davis this season but even if they crap out, JD and Saleh have proven to be a formidable tandem in the draft. Part of the reason is because Saleh had all of his position coaches create profiles for the attributes a player needs to excel in their system.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

59 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ashtyn Davis played but he had like the worst run fits anyone's ever seen at nfl safety. The jets signed 3 vet safeties (whitehead, Joyner and park) and converted Jason pinnock all so that Davis wouldn't be anywhere near the starting defense again 

Even with those guys on the roster we saw Davis start 10 of the final 11 games in which he was healthy.  None of those guys got him away from the starting  defense.  In 9 of those starts he played no fewer than 95% of the snaps on defense.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Even with those guys on the roster we saw Davis start 10 of the final 11 games in which he was healthy.  None of those guys got him away from the starting  defense.  In 9 of those starts he played no fewer than 95% of the snaps on defense.

Whitehead and park were not on last year's team and Joyner went on IR after week 1

Just because he started does not make him a starter 

Like Greg van roten 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Whitehead and park were not on last year's team and Joyner went on IR after week 1

Just because he started does not make him a starter 

Like Greg van roten 

Gotcha.  That makes more sense.  Thought you were saying some of those guys were added/moved to stop Davis from starting last season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

The quality of the 2020 draft will be determined by Becton. 

I know it may be hard for a lot of people to accept but Mims has the ceiling of a #1 WR. If he reaches his potential (BIG IF), he will neutralize the bust factor of Becton. 

Ironically, its the much better looking 2021 draft where the whole class will nonetheless be determined by one player- Zach Wilson. Hate to say it, I'm really not one to judge a whole draft by one player (regardless of position)- BUT, if Zach busts odds are the Jets will have to re-start in a few years and the 2021 draft will be considered a failure because JD could not capitalize on his opportunity to draft a true Franchise QB. 

Sure, there's still the chance that Zach busts and the Jets trade for a QB or draft another while being competitive. But odds are they will need to go through another rebuild.  

and?  i really wish there was somewhere that tracked the hit/miss ratio of drafted players.  sure we say zuniga, perine were misses but are they any moreso than clarke who retired due to injury?  and even davis has shown up even if he doesn't play his position very well.

we'll see what happens.  another season these guys are all on the clock to make the team or possibly be tossed fro the nfl.  as for how good the 2020 draft was, becton is certainly the blue chip and finding bryce hall , davis and even mann make it kind of okay.  if mims can turn his game around then maybe they got something.

17 hours ago, JetNation said:

Denzel-Mims-scaled.jpg

As the 2020 New York Jets draft class prepares to enter their pivotal third season, the team has more questions than answers in regards to where the group is trending.  While some fans have already written the class off as a collection of busts, the reality is that the jury is still out on the most important players in the class.

Left tackle Mekhi Becton threw defenders around in ways that few NFL fans have ever seen during his debut season but missed significant time due to injury.  Then, with high hopes entering his sophomore season, Becton was knocked out for the remainder of the season in week one.   It was a dislocated knee cap that did Becton in; the result of right guard Greg Van Roten being thrown in to the back of Becton’s leg.

Despite not being able to get on the field due to his dislocated knee, one could argue that Becton had a better second season that the disaster that was Denzel Mims.  After a decent showing as a rookie, Mims saw his playing time and production regress in ways nobody could have imagined.  From 357 yards in 8 games as a rookie under a lost head coach in Adam Gase, to just 8 receptions for 133 yards in year two.

As the top two picks in the class under Joe Douglas who made Becton and Mims the 11th and 59th picks respectively, their success is key to the class as a whole.  Both flashed early on, but neither could have had a worse second season.

With his job on the line, it now appears Mims is working to re-shape his frame and become a more physically imposing receiver, rather than just relying solely on his speed.

#ComebackSzn for @Zel5Zelly? On his podcast, @MoveTheSticks says he’s heard Denzel Mims has been “off the charts” in the offseasons.

Mims is said to be in great shape and finally 100% healthy. pic.twitter.com/fkyQegEvM1

— uSTADIUM (@uSTADIUM) May 4, 2022

After Becton and Mims the Jets went with safety Ashtyn Davis and defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga.  To date, Davis has shown improvement and his ceiling is that of a quality starter.  His floor likely being an NFL backup.  Zuniga on the other hand, will be lucky to make the roster in year three. Through two seasons he has appeared in just 11 games, picking up eight tackles and one sack.

Right behind Zuniga was running back La’Mical Perine who will probably find himself on another roster in 2022 after being taken with the 120th pick.  Quarterback James Morgan who was taken with the 125th pick is long gone and promising offensive lineman Cam Clark was forced to retire due to a spinal injury.

The best value pick in the class was fifth-round cornerback Bryce Hall who went 158th overall and should be a good starter at the position in the future.  Punter Braden Mann has missed time due to injury but appears to be safe for now.

One of this team's best value picks in years. Bryce Hall stays in the receiver's hip pocket throughout the entire route before batting the pass away. pic.twitter.com/Vr1dkjxKWW

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) December 23, 2021

So what does all of this tell us?  That there were undoubtedly some misses in Zuniga, Perine and Morgan.  However, should Becton manage to stay healthy and Mims find a way to contribute even as a fourth receiver, the class will have yielded starting level players at left tackle, safety and cornerback while finding some depth at receiver.

Not the best haul you’ll ever see, but it wouldn’t be all that bad for GM Joe Douglas and his staff’s first ever class.  As Jets fans can attest…you can do a lot worse.

The post Jets 2020 Draft Class Enters Critical Third Season With big Questions Still Looming appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I'm not convinced Davis is going to be a starting quality player. I think for depth he would be fine but I would want to see more from a starter

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I know it may be hard for a lot of people to accept but Mims has the ceiling of a #1 WR. If he reaches his potential (BIG IF), he will neutralize the bust factor of Becton. 

Ironically, its the much better looking 2021 draft where the whole class will nonetheless be determined by one player- Zach Wilson. Hate to say it, I'm really not one to judge a whole draft by one player (regardless of position)- BUT, if Zach busts odds are the Jets will have to re-start in a few years and the 2021 draft will be considered a failure because JD could not capitalize on his opportunity to draft a true Franchise QB. 

Sure, there's still the chance that Zach busts and the Jets trade for a QB or draft another while being competitive. But odds are they will need to go through another rebuild.  

Hmmm. Becton busts, a zero, and Mims becomes a WR #1.......I accept that outcome would make the 2020 draft just OK.

I agree with you on the 2021 draft. No way to avoid that being dependent on Mr. Wilson.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I strongly disagree. If the last two drafts, minus Zach, appear to be every bit as good as many people believe they will be, why would a rebuild be necessary? No, they’d just put a plan in place to replace the QB. A QB just might want to be traded to a team that has Moore, GWilson, Breece, MC1, and Ruckert as their weapinz. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think it's the exact opposite. The team has dramatically improved it's overall talent is is trending in the right direction. No reason to re-start anything. If Wilson busts you write him off as a whiff and acquire a capable veteran. The window for this team to win is 2023-24.

24 minutes ago, slats said:

I strongly disagree. If the last two drafts, minus Zach, appear to be every bit as good as many people believe they will be, why would a rebuild be necessary? No, they’d just put a plan in place to replace the QB. A QB just might want to be traded to a team that has Moore, GWilson, Breece, MC1, and Ruckert as their weapinz. 

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's the exact opposite. The team has dramatically improved it's overall talent is is trending in the right direction. No reason to re-start anything. If Wilson busts you write him off as a whiff and acquire a capable veteran. The window for this team to win is 2023-24.

Well, yes, there is always the potential for adding a veteran QB. I mentioned that. I just think a monster trade for a Matt Stafford type or a signing like the Bucs finagled with Tom Brady- the type of moves that loaded teams were able to make and actually win the SB are just not that common. To me, it seems much more common that you draft a Franchise QB and win with THAT guy after having built a team around him. I know the tide has turned with that strategy as of late. But its still the blueprint. Assuming that the Jets will be able to bring in a vet QB who can win it all for them (no matter how good the team is)- thats a tough one for me to buy.  JMHO. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Well, yes, there is always the potential for adding a veteran QB. I mentioned that. I just think a monster trade for a Matt Stafford type or a signing like the Bucs finagled with Tom Brady- the type of moves that loaded teams were able to make and actually win the SB are just not that common. To me, it seems much more common that you draft a Franchise QB and win with THAT guy after having built a team around him. I know the tide has turned with that strategy as of late. But its still the blueprint. Assuming that the Jets will be able to bring in a vet QB who can win it all for them (no matter how good the team is)- thats a tough one for me to buy.  JMHO. 

Historically, you're right. But as you mentioned we're starting to trend in the other direction.

I don't know if we need to go "all in" on a Stafford type as much as just get a Tannehill type who can play and will give us baseline competency.

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree that it’s the blueprint and I hope that Zach plays well enough to render this entire discussion moot but, if he doesn’t, the team will still be built to “win now” as soon as next year and they’ll need a viable QB option. They won’t be looking to break in another rookie.