Captain Morgan Cut By Colts

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They were not a QB needy team, did they think this guy would walk into the team and unset darnold and not draft a Qb the next year?

Guess what?  Your comment sounds like a fine justification for hackenburg.

Total wasted pick.

Went three picks before Gabriel Davis when everyone was screaming for another WR.

LOL.

In case you missed it:

It amazes me how many Jets fans want to die on their sword about this pick.

I mean, really?

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No it is not time to let it go.  Do you want to ignore the last two good drafts?  As in let it go Douglas did not nothing special?

The whole draft was pretty awful, bad picks and bad planning of picks.

Give credit where credit is due, but take the hits as well.

It's one thing to talk about Douglas and entire draft classes. It's another to beat an already dead horse over and over and that is what is going on with the Morgan pick. Was it a miss?  Yes.  But it was a 4th round pick.  If Morgan was currently the Jets back up (which was the goal) it would have been a hit. Meanwhile, the Pats just got lauded for selecting some QB with their 4th round pick in this draft.  There is also a theory that a team should select a QB in every draft because the potential reward is worth the risk.  So Douglas took a QB that didn't pan out. That puts him in the same boat as virtually every other GM.  That's why it's time to let it go.  You want to criticize Douglas for the entire 2020 draft - go for it.  It's still a year early, but that's fair.  But for some to continually harp on the Morgan pick and bring up the handful of players drafted afterwards as evidence of the mistake is revisionist SOJ absurd thinking.  Over 100 players were picked after Morgan. Only one was Gabe Davis.  It gets old.........31 teams passed on Davis, not just the Jets.  31 teams passed on every player selected starting with round 2.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate that those picks didn't work out too.  The Perine pick was an egregiously bad one.  But I don't get why the Morgan pick in particular gets so much vitriol.  It's worth it to take shots on midround QBs you like.  They're the most valuable commodity in the league, and we've seen a couple 4th rounders (Dak, Cousins) who worked out in fairly recent years.  Like....who cares? 

If you want to complain about the TOTALITY of those wasted 4th rounders, I'm down for that.  Singling out the Morgan pick makes no real sense to me.  People have been whining about that one for so long.

Yeah it's the totality including trading for Flacco...the point really is you can't have it both ways you can't treat 5th round picks like gold then waste them on back up QBs....it's really a moot point Douglas has had a few good years in a row but year one was a dumpster fire it's ok to admit it....still pretending trading back drafting Mims and Morgan were good moves doesn't make people better fans.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate that those picks didn't work out too.  The Perine pick was an egregiously bad one.  But I don't get why the Morgan pick in particular gets so much vitriol.  It's worth it to take shots on midround QBs you like.  They're the most valuable commodity in the league, and we've seen a couple 4th rounders (Dak, Cousins) who worked out in fairly recent years.  Like....who cares? 

If you want to complain about the TOTALITY of those wasted 4th rounders, I'm down for that.  Singling out the Morgan pick makes no real sense to me.  People have been whining about that one for so long.

I think what you're saying makes sense in a vacuum -- I just think that years of Maccagnan's neglect left us barren of talent and the "we need to save/salvage Darnold" narrative made taking a QB seem like a real head scratcher at the time.

It's still a terrible pick but given the way things played out it's probably less bad in hindsight. Agree the Perine pick was probably worse in that RB is a much easier position to scout/evaluate and he had very little upside at the time.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, undertow said:

Yeah it's the totality including trading for Flacco...the point really is you can't have it both ways you can't treat 5th round picks like gold then waste them on back up QBs....it's really a moot point Douglas has had a few good years in a row but year one was a dumpster fire it's ok to admit it....still pretending trading back drafting Mims and Morgan were good moves doesn't make people better fans.

Trading back was 100 % the right move in that draft.  This was a team completely devoid of talent and we needed a lot of dart throws as Douglas was clearing out the Maccagnan bad contracts.  Failing to hit on those picks was of course the part that sucked royally.  At least Bryce Hall looks decent.  

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

This was a bad draft pick all around. There was really no logic to it either.

No logic?  There's ALWAYS logic to drafting QB's.  Especially when your starter is Sam f**kin Darnold and, at the time, you have no veteran backup either.

If you want to argue it was a bad pick because they picked the WRONG QB at that spot, fine.  Feel free to list a few QB's they could/should have chosen from instead that would have made more sense.  But this take that there was no reason to take a QB at all in Rd 4 is soooooo friggin weird.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No logic?  There's ALWAYS logic to drafting QB's.  Especially when your starter is Sam f**kin Darnold and, at the time, you have no veteran backup either.

If you want to argue it was a bad pick because they picked the WRONG QB at that spot, fine.  Feel free to list a few QB's they could/should have chosen from instead that would have made more sense.  But this take that there was no reason to take a QB at all in Rd 4 is soooooo friggin weird.

I was just listening to the guys on the Athletic podcast talking about this.  They felt that Willis and Ridder in the 3rd was worthwhile because taking QB there, you don't face a backlash if they carry a clipboard for a year.  You also don't get hammered for taking a QB early the following season, even trading up for one.  They feel that when you get a guy with a good enough ceiling it is a good move, mentioning Cousins and Prescott.  OTOH, I don't think Morgan was considered in the same category as those two.  I fully expected Willis to go top 10. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GangGreened said:

This was a bad draft pick all around. There was really no logic to it either.

Completely agree. Sam was the entrenched starter going into his consequential third year. There was no chance he wasn't going to start all 16 games if he were healthy - no matter how badly he may have bombed. If Morgan's entire purposes was simply to serve as the backup, it's a waste of a pick. Veteran backups are a dime a dozen - and wouldn't you know it, Joe Flacco was brought in as the veteran backup for not only that season, but the next two as well! Taking QBs unnecessarily because "hey ya never know" is a stupid strategy regardless of what transpired ex-post.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was just listening to the guys on the Athletic podcast talking about this.  They felt that Willis and Ridder in the 3rd was worthwhile because taking QB there, you don't face a backlash if they carry a clipboard for a year.  You also don't get hammered for taking a QB early the following season, even trading up for one.  They feel that when you get a guy with a good enough ceiling it is a good move, mentioning Cousins and Prescott.  OTOH, I don't think Morgan was considered in the same category as those two.  I fully expected Willis to go top 10. 

This is why the Morgan pick doesn't fit into the larger narrative. He was a 5th/6th rounder taken in the 4th when we already had a 3rd overall pick going into a do-or-die season who needed to be evaluated. Willis was considered best in class at various times leading up to the draft. 

33 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Completely agree. Sam was the entrenched starter going into his consequential third year. 

He was the 32nd ranked QB In the league his first 2 seasons.  So exactly how “entrenched” was he with a new regime coming in?

And even if he WAS truly the entrenched starter…who gives a f**k?  Teams with entrenched starters use midround picks on QBs all the time.  

If it had been left up to people who agree with this mindset, Dallas would have never drafted Dak because Romo was their entrenched starter.  Or the Seahawks wouldn’t have drafted Russell Wilson in Rd 3 because they’d paid Matt Flynn a bunch of money to be their starter.  

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he was soooooo wrong about Morgan. He is awful. Scout much?

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At that point the team was still all in on Sam f**kin Darnold and the pick should have been a WR. I get what your saying but that’s not a pick I would have made. JD is doing a fine job so far (even without the results yet the process seems sound) but it’s not a pick I would have made. Plus it was widely considered a reach and ultimately a failure

42 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

At that point the team was still all in on Sam f**kin Darnold and the pick should have been a WR. I get what your saying but that’s not a pick I would have made. JD is doing a fine job so far (even without the results yet the process seems sound) but it’s not a pick I would have made. Plus it was widely considered a reach and ultimately a failure

"At that point".  That's the key phrase there.  Midround QB's are generally projects you hope to turn into something by year 2-3.  Not be immediate answers at the position.  They're commodities which you hope to see a substantial value increase over time, to the point where either they're your franchise QB OR can be traded to someone else for high pick(s).  If they end up a long-term QB2 for you, that has value as well.

And like I said, even teams with entrenched starters take QB's in the middle rounds all the time.  Like these:

• 2022 Pick 3.86:  Malik Willis - Titans (Tannehill)
  • 2021 Pick 3.66:  Kellen Mond - Vikings (Cousins)
  • 2020 Pick 5.167:  Jake Fromm - Bills (Josh Allen)
  • 2019 Pick 4.104:  Ryan Finley - Bengals (Dalton)
  • 2019 Pick 4.133:  Jarrett Stidham - Patriots (Brady)
  • 2019 Pick 5.166:  Easton Stick - Chargers (Rivers)
  • 2019 Pick 5.167:  Clayton Thorson - Eagles (Wentz)
  • 2018 Pick 3.76:  Mason Rudolph - Steelers (Roethlisberger)
  • 2018 Pick 4.108:  Kyle Lauletta - Giants (Manning)
  • 2018 Pick 5.171:  Mike White - Cowboys (Prescott)  @T0mShane
  • 2017 Pick 3.87:  Davis Webb - Giants (Manning)
  • 2017 Pick 4.135:  Josh Dobbs - Steelers (Roethlisberger)
  • 2017 Pick 5.171:  Nathan Peterman - Bills (Tyrod Taylor)
  • 2016 Pick 3.91:  Jacoby Brissett - Patriots (Brady)
  • 2016 Pick 4.100:  Connor Cook - Raiders (Carr)
  • 2016 Pick 4.135:  Dak Prescott - Cowboys (Romo)
  • 2016 Pick 4.139:  Cardale Jones - Bills (Tyrod Taylor)
  • 2016 Pick 5.162:  Kevin Hogan - KC (Alex Smith)
  • 2015 Pick 3.75:  Garrett Grayson - NO (Brees)
  • 2015 Pick 5.147:  Brett Hundley - GB (Rodgers)

That's 20 mid-round QB's taken by teams with entrenched starters over the last 8 drafts.  Hell, the Steelers (2017-18), Giants (2017-18) and Bills (2016-17) all did it 2 years in a row. 

Meanwhile, I don't understand how a 4th round QB can be considered a "reach", especially when most sources had him as a top 10-ish QB from that year's class.  But whatever; the larger issue is with people saying that a QB shouldn't have been taken at all in the mid rounds, and those reasons are silly.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

"At that point".  That's the key phrase there.  Midround QB's are generally projects you hope to turn into something by year 2-3.  Not be immediate answers at the position. 

And like I said, even teams with entrenched starters take QB's in the middle rounds all the time.  Like these:

• 2022 Pick 3.86:  Malik Willis - Titans (Tannehill)
  • 2021 Pick 3.66:  Kellen Mond - Vikings (Cousins)
  • 2020 Pick 5.167:  Jake Fromm - Bills (Josh Allen)
  • 2019 Pick 4.104:  Ryan Finley - Bengals (Dalton)
  • 2019 Pick 4.133:  Jarrett Stidham - Patriots (Brady)
  • 2019 Pick 5.166:  Easton Stick - Chargers (Rivers)
  • 2019 Pick 5.167:  Clayton Thorson - Eagles (Wentz)
  • 2018 Pick 3.76:  Mason Rudolph - Steelers (Roethlisberger)
  • 2018 Pick 4.108:  Kyle Lauletta - Giants (Manning)
  • 2018 Pick 5.171:  Mike White - Cowboys (Prescott)  @T0mShane
  • 2017 Pick 3.87:  Davis Webb - Giants (Manning)
  • 2017 Pick 4.135:  Josh Dobbs - Steelers (Roethlisberger)
  • 2017 Pick 5.171:  Nathan Peterman - Bills (Tyrod Taylor)
  • 2016 Pick 3.91:  Jacoby Brissett - Patriots (Brady)
  • 2016 Pick 4.100:  Connor Cook - Raiders (Carr)
  • 2016 Pick 4.135:  Dak Prescott - Cowboys (Romo)
  • 2016 Pick 4.139:  Cardale Jones - Bills (Tyrod Taylor)
  • 2016 Pick 5.162:  Kevin Hogan - KC (Alex Smith)
  • 2015 Pick 3.75:  Garrett Grayson - NO (Brees)
  • 2015 Pick 5.147:  Brett Hundley - GB (Rodgers)

Hell, the Steelers (2017-18), Giants (2017-18) and Bills (2016-17) did it 2 years in a row 

Meanwhile, I don't understand how a 4th round QB can be considered a "reach", especially when most sources had him as a top 10-ish QB from that year's class.  But whatever; the larger issue is with people saying that a QB shouldn't have been taken at all in the mid rounds, and those reasons are silly.  

These are the same people that think it was ok to pass on Mahomes to draft Jamal Adams. 

• Upvote 2

Morgan needs some reps a chance to play. He should look to another league. Some of these guys playing in the USFL and the Qb play is very suspect if you've watched the games haven't really played in a reg season game that counts since college.