Mike Westhoff..New Book (probably good, seems to pull no punches, as expected)

2 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Did Zombieov leave the pages for the last 2 years blank? 

I mean, he basically mailed in those last 2 years and the ST were terrible.

This guy was nothing but a leech.

Generally, I think Westhiff was the only half-competent coach across a long stretch of mediocrity. He is over-rated here because he talked tough. JN loves tough-talking men - and yes, every creepy thing this insinuates is intentional.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

“Rex kept things stirred up with the media. I would read something he said and just shake my head and laugh,” he wrote. “Never did any of his craziness show itself around the team. We had an organized, disciplined program that showed no signs of Rex’s sometimes crazy media antics.”

@T0mShane in shambles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

“Rex kept things stirred up with the media. I would read something he said and just shake my head and laugh,” he wrote. “Never did any of his craziness show itself around the team. We had an organized, disciplined program that showed no signs of Rex’s sometimes crazy media antics.”

@T0mShane in shambles. 

The only reason he likes Rex is because Rex is the only coach who still picks up the phone when Westhoff calls.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jets special teams were always good when he coached them. The drop off since has been pretty evident. 

The big issue with specials in recent years has been the lack of quality depth on the roster. The Jets roster has largely been terrible compared to the rest of the league, so the bottom of the roster has also been relatively terrible. 

I think Boyer does an ok job. He has also made it to his third different Jets coaching staff, so his reputation must be decent. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

No great revelations really except that Rex ran a very disciplined program. I would never had thought that 

I was looking at the historical win loss records for the Jets yesterday 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/head-to-head.htm

Rex's teams were always competitive, even at the end when Idzik was strangling the roster, and even against the Pats

this game for example they were 12 point dogs at NE and lost by 3 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309120nwe.htm

Fact is he's the winningest postseason coach in franchise history (playoff wins) and after he left this team went into the wilderness 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The big issue with specials in recent years has been the lack of quality depth on the roster.  

the PK thing was a problem of their own making 

they didn't have to get rid of Nick Folk or Jason Myers 

they did it because of either cheapness or getting the team all tankable 

The jets have gone through like ten place kickers since Myers 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Terry Bradway

Westhoff is not a Bradway fan.

“Terry Bradway, our general manager, was not my favorite; I thought in many ways he was barely mediocre,” Westhoff writes.

------

I absolutely despise the professional Terry Bradway.  Ruined a decade.

Terry was mediocre 

and it turns out there's a big drop between mediocre and god-awful terrible (idzik) 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Agree, but kicker is a pretty isolated problem. The poor choices on kicker have little to do with Boyer. 

Obviously, they should have just kept Folk and Myers. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Rex's teams were always competitive, even at the end when Idzik was strangling the roster, and even against the Pats

Fact is he's the winningest postseason coach in franchise history (playoff wins) and after he left this team went into the wilderness 

Rex was our last good head coach.  I wouldn’t be shocked if he was back in ‘23

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets entered the wilderness with Ryan as coach starting in 2011. He led them there.  They just haven't found their way out yet.  

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Myers thing again?  It's like a mantra for you.  Myers was a mediocre kicker before he came to the Jets and has been a mediocre to bad kicker after the Jets refused to make this bad kicker the highest paid kicker in the NFL after an outlying career year with the Jets.  There's been so much that has gone wrong the past 12 years.  Not signing Myers doesn't even make the list.  

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I actually  blame Farve for that. 

Nope. Blame Woody for forcing Favre on the 08 Jets. If they keep Pennington and let Favre go somewhere else for his stepping stone move to Minnesota, the Jets make the playoffs in 2008 easily.  Takin Pennington away from Miami and putting him back on the Jets guarantees a division title.  Then, who knows? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Myers thing again?  It's like a mantra for you.  Myers was a mediocre kicker before he came to the Jets and has been a mediocre to bad kicker after the Jets refused to make this bad kicker the highest paid kicker in the NFL after an outlying career year with the Jets.  There's been so much that has gone wrong the past 12 years.  Not signing Myers doesn't even make the list.  

It was still a lousy move.  Losing Myers and replacing him with a clown like Kaare Vedvik cost us week 1 the following season.  If we win that game the 2019 season probably has a completely different outcome

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Nope. Blame Woody for forcing Favre on the 08 Jets. If they keep Pennington and let Favre go somewhere else for his stepping stone move to Minnesota, the Jets make the playoffs in 2008 easily.  Takin Pennington away from Miami and putting him back on the Jets guarantees a division title.  Then, who knows? 

And then we would have been one and done with Chad Noodle Arm in the playoffs yay

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I don't  think Penny guaranteed  a playoff spot in any way but Favre's play down the stretch was pretty poor. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think Penny guaranteed  a playoff spot in any way but Favre's play down the stretch was pretty poor. 

How can a QB that led Miami to the division title and the playoffs over the Jets not have been good enough to lead the Jets to the playoffs? The reason the Jets missed the playoffs in 2008 was because Favre was putrid down the stretch.  Put Pennington on that team and it wins 11+ games easily.  

3 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

It was still a lousy move.  Losing Myers and replacing him with a clown like Kaare Vedvik cost us week 1 the following season.  If we win that game the 2019 season probably has a completely different outcome

Yeah. The Jets would have finished 8-8 and then gone 2-14 in 2020 in any event.  It is amazing what some fans latch onto and never let go.  

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah. The Jets would have finished 8-8 and then gone 2-14 in 2020 in any event.  It is amazing what some fans latch onto and never let go.  

The 2022 Jets don't really have a kicker either 

Greg the leg is most likely washed. Eddy piniero has no proven reliability 

How about I'll let it go when it stops being an active festering problem 

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Terry was mediocre 

and it turns out there's a big drop between mediocre and god-awful terrible (idzik) 

Mac was worse than Idzik.  One example, giving up 3 2nds to move up 3 spots.  (I'll always hate that horse-face Manning)  Idzik was terrible at it but at least Idzik had a plan.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How can a QB that led Miami to the division title and the playoffs over the Jets not have been good enough to lead the Jets to the playoffs? The reason the Jets missed the playoffs in 2008 was because Favre was putrid down the stretch.  Put Pennington on that team and it wins 11+ games easily.  

Because I remember  how bad Pennington was on the Jets. It was maddening to watch him getting baited into picks trying to make passes he couldn't.  He had to go. The problem was Farve was not a good choice but only because he was injured at the end and he pretty much didn't  care.