[OT] Washington Commies purchase site in VA

Dcat

3 minutes ago, darkprime said:

I live in Woodbridge, VA and near this site.  It's an exciting prospect, but ultimately one that the area is not prepared to support, least of which will make already painful traffic even worse.  Virginia's short-sightedness lead to having reversible HOT lanes to manage carry traffic along part of i95, and although it helps, it was never enough and not the right solution.  I can't fathom why Snyder & company would legitimately want to move to this location.  Personally, I would rather see them redo the RFK site to make RFK 2.0.

Went to the Jets -Skins game in 2011, I believe. We stayed in New Carrollton right near the Amtrak/ metro station. Easy trip in and out of DC, and easy to the stadium..Orange line to blue line to stadium. Was last road trip game we won.😬 Like 0-8 since. This year Green Bay will break the streak.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Skimmer and sexist Snyder can get a new location, why can't Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum get us a new place in NY?

If you are a contrarian, with all the crap happening in the City right now, you could probably get a decent deal on some land and actually have political support to bring a multi billion $ enterprise back home. As they say, crazzier things......

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

New stadium for the Commandos?

@Warfish  Wouldn't this royally screw any Commanders fans in the rich portions of Maryland near DC?  
I can see some of those fans switching to Ravens.

Yes.

Travel from either DC or MD would be materially more difficult with that location.

There are no mass-transit options (no DC Metrorail) to Woodbridge either.

The roads are well known down there for being nightmarish on a good day, especially I-95 south of the Beltway.

Honestly, apart from moderately cheaper land value vs. DC or more northern VA, it honestly doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Well, VA seems to want to pay for a ton (or all) of the project, so that really may be the only reason.  It's a far worse stadium location than almost any other possible site, for a variety of reasons.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, darkprime said:

I live in Woodbridge, VA and near this site.  It's an exciting prospect, but ultimately one that the area is not prepared to support, least of which will make already painful traffic even worse.  Virginia's short-sightedness lead to having reversible HOT lanes to manage carry traffic along part of i95, and although it helps, it was never enough and not the right solution.  I can't fathom why Snyder & company would legitimately want to move to this location.  Personally, I would rather see them redo the RFK site to make RFK 2.0.

isn't the bigger scam that those lanes are run by a private company and the contract does not allow road expansion without paying off that company?  For like 100 years? 

I know any time we drive down there we sit in a ton of traffic going over the Occoquan

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

Travel from either DC or MD would be materially more difficult with that location.

There are no mass-transit options (no DC Metrorail) to Woodbridge either.

The roads are well known down there for being nightmarish on a good day, especially I-95 south of the Beltway.

Honestly, apart from moderately cheaper land value vs. DC or more northern VA, it honestly doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Well, VA seems to want to pay for a ton (or all) of the project, so that really may be the only reason.  It's a far worse stadium location than almost any other possible site, for a variety of reasons.  

Yeah, can't think of anything worse. 95 is already an absolute nightmare that far South. Maybe they are going to share a a parking lot with Potomac Mills? LOL Terrible location. 

• Upvote 3

I haven't lived in the area since 2011 (in Takoma, DC.) I used to drive/travel the area a lot as an IT consultant, and boy, I am sure it hasn't gotten better. 

It must be the land and a sweetheart deal of some sort, because that might be the worst stretch of road to travel among many bad ones in the region. Really, redeveloping the old RFK site - which is on top of the Metro, and near a bunch of local and highway roads - would be the best option, but probably not the cheapest, but Danny Napolean doesn't give a rat's ass about the fans, the franchise, his staff - nobody but himself and the bottom line. If he builds it in Woodbridge, I absolutely guarantee it will have a helicopter pad on site so he can get in and out without having to be inconvenienced in traffic with the rabble. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, can't think of anything worse. 95 is already an absolute nightmare that far South. Maybe they are going to share a a parking lot with Potomac Mills? LOL Terrible location. 

The roads here, and everywhere leading to Woodbridge, are simply incapable of handling that added volume.

And a fix is far from an immediate thing here, more like a 10-15 year thing at best, IF the State and locals support it.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The roads here, and everywhere leading to Woodbridge, are simply incapable of handling that added volume.

And a fix is far from an immediate thing here, more like a 10-15 year thing at best, IF the State and locals support it.

Not to mention if there is a snow storm on gameday millions may perish on 95!  LOL

• Upvote 1

Another easy nickname that wasn't thought out when naming the team. Commies, lol.

Maybe they should've just left it as Washington Football Team or reused a name literally everyone likes from the area, e.g. the Washington Cherry Blossoms. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe they should've just left it as Washington Football Team or.....

I never cease to be amazed at how many people seem to like the horrifically generic "Washington Football Team" name.

That may be the worst name in sports history. 

May as well be "Washington Placeholders" or "Washington No Name Brands".

Commanders, bad as it is, missed opportunity that it is, is at least an actual name.  

People who like WFT deserve to live the rest of their boring uncreative lives drinking this:

OIP.nwLpJRNrbngt2sMcvEs84wHaF7?pid=ImgDe

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I never cease to be amazed at how many people seem to like the horrifically generic "Washington Football Team" name.

Commanders, bad as it is, missed opportunity that it is, is at least an actual name.  

People who like WFT deserve to live the rest of their boring uncreative lives drinking this:

Beer. Hmm. Depends on the taste and the price.

As for the team formerly known (to me) as the Foreskins, they could have chosen some variation of Hogs and made it work. So to me, now they are the Commodes. WFT/WTF at least had a veneer of uniqueness.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I liked "Redtails"

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I mean, does it taste good? I like the simple branding. It makes me feel like this brewery cares more about its beer than its image. In fact I feel the urge to drink a beer now. See how well that worked.

7 hours ago, darkprime said:

Sounds like when the Patriots were going to move to Hartford back in 1998....

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Beer. Hmm. Depends on the taste and the price.

As for the team formerly known (to me) as the Foreskins, they could have chosen some variation of Hogs and made it work. So to me, now they are the Commodes.

Redhogs, Warthogs, RedHawks, so many great options, so little brain by Snyder, no question.

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

WFT/WTF at least had a veneer of uniqueness.

Unique lame blandness, but sure.

• Upvote 3

I personally wanted Pigskins. There were The Hogs, The Hogettes, and pretty obvious about the ball. A lot of people called them the 'Skins anyway. JMO. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

More that they should’ve kept it until they found something that wasn’t stupid. WFT is stupid enough on its own.

Also I’m not a WFT fan so I’m going to enjoy myself.

MOre than any of that, I’m very happy to see you’re feeling more like yourself. Nice. ;) 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I personally wanted Pigskins. There were The Hogs, The Hogettes, and pretty obvious about the ball. A lot of people called them the 'Skins anyway. JMO. 

I still say they should have gone with The Crimson Epidermis . 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More that they should’ve kept it until they found something that wasn’t stupid.

Well, that's different of course

WFT is stupid enough on its own.

Also I’m not a WFT fan so I’m going to enjoy myself.

Definitely the "at least it isn't us" area, aye.

MOre than any of that, I’m very happy to see you’re feeling more like yourself. Nice. ;) 

Appreciated old friend, thanks.  Day 8 today so hopefully all well, can stop avoiding people soonish.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I always thought "Washington Riggins" would've been perfect for them.