NFL wants to revamp the Pro Bowl

Showcase as in sprinting contests and the like? What could go wrong? I know you don't see injuries in the NHL and NBA All Star weekends but in this scenario some (most) guys would have not been playing anything for weeks. Also, how many different ways can we see how accurate a QB is? Not trying to be a curmudgeon but just eliminate it. Pro Bowl sucks. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Play it after the superbowl or eliminate the game.

Been saying for a LONG time, that the Pro Bowl needs to be dropped as a game, but continue as an honor.   Too much risk of injury and nobody cares about the game itself.  But, you still want to honor and reward the players that produce at a Pro Bowl level. Also, it needs to be made into a TV event that fans will actually want to tune in for.

1. Elect Pro Bowl players the same way as always.

2. Send them all to HI or an equally beautiful and enjoyable location.

3. Get them all on camera without their uniforms on, so fans can see them in a different light.  That in itself is a spectacle.

4.  Instead of playing a game on the football field, have them fight it out AFC vs NFC with contests similar to what they did in the 70's with Battle Of The Network Stars.  IE, Dunking Booth, Tug Of War, Obstacle Course (one with no reasonable chance of injury), pie eating contest, lawn mower or small go cart racing, egg walks, etc... Things the players can have a ball with and fans can crack up watching them have a fun time. 

• Upvote 2

Turn it into a Superstars competition.  Once and for all, let's figure out who are the fastest and strongest players in the league.  Who can throw a 70 yard spiral into a hula hoop.  Maybe see who can jump out of a pool the best.

Honestly, does *anyone* ever watch it anymore?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

There's no reason to risk injury.  Get rid of the game.  But as someone else said "keep the honor".  I don't even like the ridiculous tug of war type stuff.  They can still get injured in stuff like that.  Just get rid of the game at this point.   If they want something football-related then maybe announce the awards that day and then have a senior bowl type thing (with college players) for evaluation.  Or maybe have an AFC vs NFC game with practice squad players who are trying to get some attention.  That's assuming they'd even want to play.  I guess it would be a free trip to Hawaii.

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Been saying for a LONG time, that the Pro Bowl needs to be dropped as a game, but continue as an honor.

This.

No one watches it.

No one wants to play in it.

Too much risk, too little reward.

Scrap the entire idea, no game, no "skills competition", all of it.

Not every dollar needs to be milked.  Sometimes you make more by doing less.  

This is one example of that.

• Upvote 4

I find the whole topic amusing.  

Nobody watches the pro bowl, but grown men come here to argue about choices of alternate jerseys to the death.  The NFL must be so pissed off that they are unable to capitalize on how ridiculous we are.  They should elect the pro bowl teams and then have them play poker, Madden, or just design their own pro bowl jerseys.  I've seen how these guys dress for the draft.  That would be some bedazzled sh*t right there.  I remember when guys wanted to go to the pro bowl just for the trip and nobody gave a sh*t about the draft.  

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody watches the pro bowl, but grown men come here to argue about choices of alternate jerseys to the death.  The NFL must be so pissed off that they are unable to capitalize on how ridiculous we are.  They should elect the pro bowl teams and then have them play poker, Madden, or just design their own pro bowl jerseys.  I've seen how these guys dress for the draft.  That would be some bedazzled sh*t right there.  I remember when guys wanted to go to the pro bowl just for the trip and nobody gave a sh*t about the draft.  

Don't mess with the guys here that talk about clothes every week. I feel like it is one of the few things they have.

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pro Bowl peaked when Sean Taylor's hit leveled the kicker and jumped the shark when Jamal Adams dry humped the Patriots mascot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Doesn’t matter what they do, given the current contracts, nobody is risking injury for this nonsense 

By that time they are all rehabbing a real injury.   Just kill the game, invite them all in and have a cool show with highlight montages and let the guys say some quips.  

I don't have any ideas, but just wanted it on record that I, too, think the PB sucks and haven't watched it in at least 20 years.

Then again, maybe it's great and I just wouldn't know it because I haven't been watching. If a tree falls in a forest and no one's there to hear it...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Been saying for a LONG time, that the Pro Bowl needs to be dropped as a game, but continue as an honor.   Too much risk of injury and nobody cares about the game itself.  But, you still want to honor and reward the players that produce at a Pro Bowl level. Also, it needs to be made into a TV event that fans will actually want to tune in for.

1. Elect Pro Bowl players the saGeezus,me way as always.

2. Send them all to HI or an equally beautiful and enjoyable location.

3. Get them all on camera without their uniforms on, so fans can see them in a different light.  That in itself is a spectacle.

4.  Instead of playing a game on the football field, have them fight it out AFC vs NFC with contests similar to what they did in the 70's with Battle Of The Network Stars.  IE, Dunking Booth, Tug Of War, Obstacle Course (one with no reasonable chance of injury), pie eating contest, lawn mower or small go cart racing, egg walks, etc... Things the players can have a ball with and fans can crack up watching them have a fun time. 

Geezus, Item 4. is really lame. Sounds like a scene from the Andy Griffith Show.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Doesn’t matter what they do, given the current contracts, nobody is risking injury for this nonsense 

Exactly. Players used to care, a little, about the Pro Bowl when their contracts were worth a lot less and they could make a little extra money and spend a week in Hawaii.

Now, with even average starters making $10M a season, no-one cares about playing in the Pro Bowl for beer money.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Pro Bowl peaked when Sean Taylor's hit leveled the kicker and jumped the shark when Jamal Adams dry humped the Patriots mascot. 

The highlight of PresidentMAL's career was winning defensive MVP of that game