Becton Bust status from you, the fans

Is Mekhi Becton already a bust?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you already view Mekhi Becton as a bust?

• Yes..we've seen enough
    • No...too early to say

Too early. Looked pretty good rookie year, got injured second year. Needs to prove his toughness this year (a concern in year 1, year 2 is a wash) and that he can block out the noise (started believing his own hype year 1, seems to read too much of what the outside is saying). 

Make or break year for him. Hoping for the best because he was fun as hell to watch. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There's plenty of reason to be skeptical based on injury history and perceived motivation.

But, like, he's been good when he's played. I don't see how anyone could claim he's a bust at this point.

^ What he said.

Also think we'll find out about Becky really fast, whether it's in training camp or the first quarter of the season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As the great Bill Parcells used to say, if they don’t bite when they’re puppies, they’re never gonna bite.

Bill Parcells has never spent time around dogs, has he?

Strikes me as a pet python kinda guy.

• Upvote 2

I remember those vids that Jets lover made during Becton's rookie campaign...the whole Big Ticket, Highway 77. Becton was phenomenal. He even shut down some of the league's best pass rushers.

He clearly has the talent to be a top Tackle.

What could derail him are two things: Lack of motivation to work out and stay in shape, and injuries. From what we have seen so far this offseason, he is working out and looks fantastic. So to me that only leaves injuries as a possible path to the waiver wire or trade.

On the injury front, he scares me. He injured his chest his rookie year and took time off, then the knee last season. So yeah, he has to prove he can be durable and that takes a few seasons. Just another reason Saleh may move him to RT. Less demanding, and less upheaval to the line/team if he gets injured again,

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I prefer to not look at the results of the poll, because without knowing, in my mind Becton is both a bust and not a bust, a la Schrodinger's fat cat.

Exactly. To me, he’s at the exact moment in time of his career where he’s either going to be good or he’s going to bust, and it’s probably going to be determined within the next sixty days. My position on the matter is that it’s probably 50/50 whether or not he makes it as a professional, with the arrow pointing straight down. I believe that the Jets, who are going to suck this year, should not be a party to this type of gamble. Now, if Becton was a free agent right now, he’s probably fairly coveted on the open market…but if he shows up in three weeks out of shape and pulls a quad? He’s worthless to everyone and you can start digging a hole for his future prospects. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There's plenty of reason to be skeptical based on injury history and perceived motivation.

But, like, he's been good when he's played. I don't see how anyone could claim he's a bust at this point.

We all know Jets fans can manufacture ways to be pessimistic. Guy has been way above average most of the time he has played.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

This particular narrative, based solely on a collection of tweeters tweeting a lot about the same few plays - not anything anyone here actually saw, has really run its course. 

Its really all they got . Cause on field in the real games he is good and at times like vs rams dominant. He has also shut down way better Edge players than lawson. 

• Upvote 2