“Senior year gym class in June is more intense than this OTA.” The latest dispatch from Connor Hughes

WARNING PODCAST LINK:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cant-wait-a-show-about-the-new-york-jets/id1477129387?i=1000563860791

Conversation starts at the 18 minute mark. Hughes discusses how uniquely easy yesterday’s practice was, and gets into a conversation he had with Saleh about how rigorous the early schedule is going to be. 

Saleh’s position is that “there’s only so many miles you can put on the tires until the car starts breaking down.” 

Hughes raises some compelling concerns because he doesn’t see how the Jets are going to be ready to compete with so many new faces on the team and considering how brutal the schedule is. 

Worthwhile for the discussion of how different Saleh’s program is from the rest of the league (mentions Saleh not being at the Combine, etc). 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

It must be compelling if he can spin a voluntary practice in May to mean that the team won’t be physically able to compete in September. I guess that’s what you have to do to get people to listen to your NFL pod this time of year. 

He’s comparing it to the other OTA practices he’s been covering since 2016

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s comparing it to the other OTA practices he’s been covering since 2016

Considering the record since 2016, maybe a change in how they do things is not a bad thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

They are changing things up to what they have probably researched and they obviously think this way  will work and is worth a try. I’m good with it. Hope it help the team play better. That’s about all. 

Would it work with you? If you were a professional athlete?

• WTF? 2

I think this idea comes as a response to Saleh thinking maybe he overdid it last year and that a tougher work schedule may have contributed to all of the injuries the team suffered through in Saleh's rookie coaching campaign in 2021.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

I think this idea comes as a response to Saleh thinking maybe he overdid it last year and that a tougher work schedule may have contributed to all of the injuries the team suffered through in Saleh's rookie coaching campaign in 2021.

I could be wrong but I think he went soft on them in camp last year also.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

what does this even mean

If you were, say, a wide receiver coming from the Ohio State program who is going to play the Ravens defense in 109 days, do you feel like a training regimen that de-emphasizes physical contact will adequately prepare you for that contest?

Jets have had a ton of injuries over the last few years, I don't know what the solution to that problem is but something certainly needed to change. Hope it helps, if not they'll try something new next offseason. I had kind of expected a new training staff but for some reason they stood pat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

WARNING PODCAST LINK:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cant-wait-a-show-about-the-new-york-jets/id1477129387?i=1000563860791

Conversation starts at the 18 minute mark. Hughes discusses how uniquely easy yesterday’s practice was, and gets into a conversation he had with Saleh about how rigorous the early schedule is going to be. 

Saleh’s position is that “there’s only so many miles you can put on the tires until the car starts breaking down.” 

Hughes raises some compelling concerns because he doesn’t see how the Jets are going to be ready to compete with so many new faces on the team and considering how brutal the schedule is. 

Worthwhile for the discussion of how different Saleh’s program is from the rest of the league (mentions Saleh not being at the Combine, etc). 

As a physical education teacher in a high school dealing with seniors in june regularly.  I can with absolute certainty 10000000000% assure you that this statement is false. 

• Haha 3