Kaepernick to workout for the Raiders

18 hours ago, sciond said:

who cares...he is irrelevant and sucks

Each year @jetsrule128 starts threads on every practice squad poaching.  I post in damn near every one of them.  I have stood up and cheered on Clyde Gates and Jeff Smith.  Kaepernick may well suck, but if he is getting a workout (since it bothers @Gastineau Lives) with an NFL team he is relevant around here.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

So if he kneels, that’s too much for you?  Or wears stupid socks?  Dopey as it might be, that’s his business, as far as I’m concerned. 

I think most of us are past the kneeling.  The socks, however, could be seen as more than just 'stupid'.  The NFL has sanctioned players for far less in terms of what they wear (Jim MacMahon, where are you when we need you).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

So if he kneels, that’s too much for you?  Or wears stupid socks?  Dopey as it might be, that’s his business, as far as I’m concerned. 

Yeah, people are “fine” with peaceful protests as long as said protest is in the dark corner where it affects no one and can’t be seen. Dudes kneel for a national anthem and they’re “shoving it in people’s faces.” Yeah. 

I never have understood why Americans feel the need to have the national anthem at every single sporting event even down to high school level anyway. I think it’s so weird. I stopped standing for them years ago. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Yes, that is absolutely shoving politics in my face. You're goddang right. I watch football to watch football. That is why I read and post here. To exchange FOOTBALL opinions, to express my own football related opinion and to learn from those who know better than I about football. The occasional and rare RIP to an actor or celebrity is ok. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Yeah, people are “fine” with peaceful protests as long as said protest is in the dark corner where it affects no one and can’t be seen. Dudes kneel for a national anthem and they’re “shoving it in people’s faces.” Yeah. 

I never have understood why Americans feel the need to have the national anthem at every single sporting event even down to high school level anyway. I think it’s so weird. I stopped standing for them years ago. 

Work time is the employers time.

Personal time is the individuals time.

I am 100% supportive of anyone who wishes to protest on their own personal time, in any peaceful, legal way.

I am 100% against an individual protesting on their employers time and with their employers microphone, if not sanctioned by that employer.

Also, I agree with you in re: the National Anthem at sporting events.  Never saw the need.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

No this was clearly Mark Davis wanting this to happen ( he called this one) and the guys heading up the football team ( Josh McDaniel , and Ziegler ) want no part of Crapernick .   The Raiders aren’t signing this bum , ( football guys don’t want him but had to give him a workout- owner )   They eventually make the call on football decisions , and he won’t be  playing for the Raiders anytime soon.  

We are in agreement.  I also felt that it was Davis behind the CK story.  Also, as stated, it was not about football for him. It is about marketing/publicity, and washing away the ghost of Chucky

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Awesumtenor said:

You’re wrong; he has already stated he was willing to be a backup. They are saying the workout went well; which validates the workout he had @ UMich at their spring game. The interest is real; The second, third and fourth string QBs on LV have a combined 687 yards passing in their careers; if Carr gets hurt, having to play the backups they currently have would be cashing 8n their chips. 

Even if LV doesn’t sign him, there remain a number of teams who can’t be satisfied with their QB room…CAR, SEA, DET, CHI, PIT, NE off the top of my head…throw the NYG and PHI in there too…that’s a quarter of the league that gets better immediately with him and I’m not talking about his becoming the starter…

yeah a backup with a chance to play. he picked a team with a really good QB who never gets hurt. Vegas wasnt a good fit for him. thats what i was saying. now if he worked out with a bunch of other teams like the ones you mentioned i wouldnt have even posted. those teams he could actually get some playing time with. in fact he could be there starting QB. but Vegas with Carr who is an excellent QB who missed 2 games in 8 years your chances of starting or playing due to injury are none.

and i was right. he got his workout Wednesday and didnt sign or didnt get an offer. it would have happened by now. same thing if Drew Brees came out of retirement and chose Vegas. he is not going to play at all so why go there? where is he going next week to GB? now if he goes to try out for Carolina you wont here a word out of me. that makes sense. but when you do it for a team whos QB is set in stone then i have to question the motive.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Each year @jetsrule128 starts threads on every practice squad poaching.  I post in damn near every one of them.  I have stood up and cheered on Clyde Gates and Jeff Smith.  Kaepernick may well suck, but if he is getting a workout (since it bothers @Gastineau Lives) with an NFL team he is relevant around here.

As a noun is admissible 

So a single guy is booed by entire stadiums and people wonder why no owner in their right mind would want to sign him?  It’s some sort of collusion? Ain’t rocket science to know it’s bad for business.  Ask Disney how it’s working out 

• Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Historically, we didn't really have it on a regular basis until World War II.  And for some reason, we never got rid of it at the beginning of games after the war.  Might be more patriotic to save it for special occasions as virtually no one is singing it and people are having conversations, spitting and drinking beer during it.  I think the sports leagues like it not because of patriotism but because (except in the post season) it gives them further opportunities to show commercials.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I am 100% supportive of anyone who wishes to protest on their own personal time, in any peaceful, legal way.

I am 100% again an individual protesting on the employers time and with their employers microphone, if not sanctioned by that employer.

Also, I agree with you in re: the National Anthem at sporting events.  Never saw the need.  

It’s an interesting discussion, probably for a different thread, but I disagree that work time is a company’s time. I do see why so many think the way you do about it. I just see the relationship differently. 

9 minutes ago, the Claw said:

It’s an interesting discussion, probably for a different thread, but I disagree that work time is a company’s time. I do see why so many think the way you do about it. I just see the relationship differently. 

I'd love to hear your logic/reasoning on this. 

Keep the two political parties out of it, and I am sure you'll be fine.

This is more of a general conceptual/philosophical question than a purely 'political' one anyway.  It's not about what someone is protesting per se, but where it is appropriate to protest and the relationships between employer and employee if you use their assets (including your work time) in order to engage in self-interested activity (which ultimately protest is, again, regardless of what issue is protested per se).

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Agreed. I’m going to Tahiti next week.  My Pre-k students will be watching the documentary” Jacob’s new dress “ , and their parents won’t even have to be informed I’m away or showing the video.  I love my time 

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He's def better than many of the backups or 3s in the NFL and with the number of injuries could get a chance to play if Carr gets injured. I hope he gets signed and they give him a real chance to make the team. 

Well, you say that, but let's see how he actually looks in a camp after his extended vacation. Saying he's better than a 3rd stringer isn't saying much. In fact I would argue that the 3rd string QB is more of a young developmental guy spot as opposed to a getting old, out of the league years, and trying to get back in spot. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

He's at work as an employee, as opposed to being on his own personal time. Positions in the NFL, any position at any job for that matter, exist to serve a business which serves clients. It doesn't exist to serve as his personal platform. People aren't paying, and attending to hear his message.  If he want's to tweet about it, start a foundation, or march in a peaceful demonstration on his own time and dime then he's more than welcome to as it's his right to do so. I'm thinking that many people, who support advocacy at work, would change their tune if an athlete or any other employee started promoting their pro life/abortion or pro gun stance. Not specifically you, but people in general. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Historically, we didn't really have it on a regular basis until World War II.  And for some reason, we never got rid of it at the beginning of games after the war.  Might be more patriotic to save it for special occasions as virtually no one is singing it and people are having conversations, spitting and drinking beer during it.  I think the sports leagues like it not because of patriotism but because (except in the post season) it gives them further opportunities to show commercials.

Because Communism…Tailgunner Joe and his House UnAmerican Activities committee. Used to have to stand at attention with your helmet under your arm…whether you were playing pee-wee ball or in the pros, hand over your heart…They have significantly relaxed the policy since the 50s and 60s

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:19 AM, Bronx said:

Hurry before @The Crusher beats you to it!

Do you guys keep scores or PFF of banned users/closed topics? Sort of like this...

I wonder which mod leads the way...I am positive that the Crusher is the G.O.A.T.

They have 3 statistical categoriess:

1 for total locked threads.

1 for total bans.

1 for total triggered crybabies

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2022 at 9:48 PM, doitny said:

this is strange. he has no chance of beating out Carr and Carr has missed only 2 games in 8 years. i dont see how sitting on the bench helps him. i hope he isnt going to try something funny.

It’s baffling that a football team might want a second or third string qb

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I am 100% against an individual protesting on their employers time and with their employers microphone, if not sanctioned by that employer.

So, you don’t support unions? 

• WTF? 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

So, you don’t support unions? 

That's a bit of a broad question.  

Can you be more specific in what you're trying to find out from me here?

Do I support the existence of Unions, of collective bargaining conceptually?  Yes.

I get the feeling that's not really what you're asking here.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They have 3 statistical categoriess:

1 for total locked threads.

1 for total bans.

1 for total triggered crybabies

On 5/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, The Crusher said:

@Maxman has his proprietary system. We get bonuses based on the whining and tears of certain posters with Double stuffed Oreos and Slim Jim’s. 

Yep!!! Haha 

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's a bit of a broad question.  

Can you be more specific in what you're trying to find out from me here?

Do I support the existence of Unions, of collective bargaining conceptually?  Yes.

I get the feeling that's not really what you're asking here.

I mean, is it real broad in the context to what I quoted from you?

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, is it real broad in the context to what I quoted from you?

I'm not sure I understand the relation/relevance of the question to what I posted. :(

I'm not trying to be obtuse, you know I'm generally happy to tell people what I think, but I honestly don't understand what you're trying to get at here.

What does being pro- or anti- Union have to do with protesting on employers time?  Help a brother out here.

2 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

It’s baffling that a football team might want a second or third string qb

its not baffling that Vegas wants a backup. its baffling that Kap would sign with a team where he has no chance to start. 

and from what i heard the workout went great yet he has not signed with the Raiders. what happened? the Raiders obviously want a backup thats why they tried him out. did Kap not sign because he doesnt want to be a backup? then why even work out with them if he was never going to seriously sign there.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd love to hear your logic/reasoning on this. 

Keep the two political parties out of it, and I am sure you'll be fine.

This is more of a general conceptual/philosophical question than a purely 'political' one anyway.  It's not about what someone is protesting per se, but where it is appropriate to protest and the relationships between employer and employee if you use their assets (including your work time) in order to engage in self-interested activity (which ultimately protest is, again, regardless of what issue is protested per se).

The NFL wrapping themselves in the flag and the military is a self interest activity that has nothing to do with playing football.   For decades a simple playing of the anthem for everyone to take a moment to express love and gratitude of country has turned into something perversely different.   It’s about time there was some push back.

This post was sponsored by the US Army. A division of fan duel the official sports book of the NFL  (If you think you have a gambling problem dial911)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Spot on. This is what so many don't understand about this situation. The First Amendment applies to government sanctioning speech. There is no freedom of speech in a home, and there is no freedom of speech with private employees. Moms and Dads can generally govern their families as they see fit (assuming no criminal/horrible behavior). And private employers get to determine what employees do/do not do (assuming the employer does not break the low nor public policy). Kap. has every right to quit his job if he disagrees with what his employer requires or disallows, and his employer (a football organization) can fire him for not complying with their private rules. 

Thank you 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Spot on. This is what so many don't understand about this situation. The First Amendment applies to government sanctioning speech. There is no freedom of speech in a home, and there is no freedom of speech with private employees. Moms and Dads can generally govern their families as they see fit (assuming no criminal/horrible behavior). And private employers get to determine what employees do/do not do (assuming the employer does not break the low nor public policy). Kap. has every right to quit his job if he disagrees with what his employer requires or disallows, and his employer (a football organization) can fire him for not complying with their private rules. 

Did I miss the part where the NFL instituted a rule against their players kneeling?