OT off-season thread: What was your first car?

My first car was a used Volvo 240 DL that I got in the summer of 1986 for a whopping $500. I needed a car for graduate school since I was living off campus for the first time.

I got it "as is" from a repo man who my sister was dating at the time. He told me the owner was a dentist who financed the car, drove the crap out of it for a few years, never (or rarely) had it serviced, etc. and just stopped making payments.  I was just hoping to get through grad school with it, a little over two years.  But, it was not to be.

It had been in at least one minor accident that had damaged stuff in the engine compartment, I would soon find out. I ended up spending more than the original cost of the car trying to keep it running (and not overheating) in the 14 months or so that I had it.  

The final straw was the auto transmission getting worse and worse and needing to be totally replaced.  It got to the point where it would not shift beyond 2nd gear.  Dumped it and got a used Toyota Corolla to finish graduate school and student teaching with.  The Volvo was towed away to a junkyard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...