Damn Ray Liotta Died!

Easily my favorite movie. Remember when Paulie slaps Henry in the face while telling him to not be selling drugs? Paul Sorvino did that on his own and the surprised reaction from Henry (Ray) is not acting. 

I liked him in other stuff as well. Good call on him playing the father in Blow. RIP. Gone too soon. 

14 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

while i agree with your last sentence the first one is just not true.

the average life span of a 65 year old male is now 18 years.

problem with averages is that it's just averages.

Then by all means, wait till you're 65+17 to do this things you want.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

while i agree with your last sentence the first one is just not true.

the average life span of a 65 year old male is now 18 years.

problem with averages is that it's just averages.

We are all in narrow windows of life expectancy due to many things including genetics.  For me it will be a bit of a triumph to get to 67 just due to family genetics and history. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We are all in narrow windows of life expectancy due to many things including genetics.  For me it will be a bit of a triumph to get to 67 just due to family genetics and history. 

good luck with getting past 67.  i'd try to retire early as possible if i was in your shoes.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

ha.. that's the point about averages, just never know.

my goal is to retire at 55.

I'm on track for 58.  Maybe sooner if the market bounces back strong.   I recently poured a lot into it hoping to catch that rebound. 

Ten more years... 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

good luck with getting past 67.  i'd try to retire early as possible if i was in your shoes.

I am already retired, I retired about a month before my 58th birthday.  (I'm a few weeks from 62 right now)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Life Lesson:  Many, if not most, of us never get that "retirement" we think we're gonna get age 65->

Take Away:  Don't wait, you got something you wanna do.  Do it.  Now.  While you can.

None of us have a guarantee for tomorrow.

That's why I'm done working at 53, no matter what job opportunity comes open. I want to spend as much time with my kids as possible,  and chasing $$$ will never replace that. Hell, that's if I get another 2 years....

• Upvote 3

he died way too young.  never really liked his acting.  his characters were always a little slimy.  remember when hopkins ate his brains in hannibal?  but yes, goodfellas was a really good movie and liotta played his part very well.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Life Lesson:  Many, if not most, of us never get that "retirement" we think we're gonna get age 65->

Take Away:  Don't wait, you got something you wanna do.  Do it.  Now.  While you can.

I'm a tad younger than Ray.  So when these surprise deaths occur, they hit home more and more.  I'm in good shape and reasonably healthy.  But once you pass 65, longevity gets a bit tenuous.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

This is perhaps the best post you have every made in this forum. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm on track for 58.  Maybe sooner if the market bounces back strong.   I recently poured a lot into it hoping to catch that rebound. 

Ten more years... 

The big problem is healthcare and also not running out of money.   I’d probably end up doing 58 also. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's why I'm done working at 53, no matter what job opportunity comes open. I want to spend as much time with my kids as possible,  and chasing $$$ will never replace that. Hell, that's if I get another 2 years....

You also have a very hard job.  It’s a lot easier to do an office job when you are older. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Ray was the man.  Very sad.  RIP

Truly a great one. RIP. So many nights after the kids went to sleep and I needed to unwind Tommy Vercetti was my personal therapist. 

11 hours ago, batman10023 said:

How old are you?  On track?

Late 40's.

I was on track, not quite sure now.  I'm pondering quitting my job and I have no plan for what to do if I do (and my plan sorta requires I don't quit).  Feels like if I don't, the job my kill me of stress, a sedentary worklife and a heart attack long before I reach the goal.

I'll figure it out.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Also, grab that Social Security money the 1st month that you can, you might not make it to that time when you get the most from it-that's what I did-and glad that I did it too

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, batman10023 said:

The big problem is healthcare and also not running out of money.   I’d probably end up doing 58 also. 

My wife is 10 years younger than me.  She’s getting ready to go back to work so hopefully that covers my healthcare.