Jump to content

Football Outsiders: Jets with a top 15 WR unit


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Is SF really deserving? Who do they have outside of Samuel and Aiyuk (if Kittle isnt counting)?

Yeah I was thinking that too seems a bit high for them. Denver also

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Is SF really deserving? Who do they have outside of Samuel and Aiyuk (if Kittle isnt counting)?

Kittle is counted though. So is Kyle Juszczyk. The rankings include WR/TE. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Receivers project to be a slightly above average group... which is definitely a win considering some of the receiving corps we've rolled with in the past.

And if you count weapons more broadly (TE+RB) there is a case to be made we approach the Top 12 range (obviously projection, and obviously QB dependent)...

It's also exciting that we don't have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL anymore...

They included WR and TE in their rankings.

Your argument still holds though, If RB were included, we’d move up a couple slots.

Also our OL likely a top 12 unit as well.  Nuts. The talent around Zach is good.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When trying to figure out how good (or not) our offensive weapons are, I close my eyes and imagine a mid season game with Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs coming to town. Mahomes throwing to a bunch of great WRs led by WR1 6'-3" Cory Davis, Great hands and rout runner Elijah Moore, this years best WR in the draft and real burner Garrett Wilson, and 3rd yr speedster 6'-3" Denzyl Mims. LOL that group would seen unstoppable!

I just try to picture our guys as the 'other' guys coming to town and what I'd think of their roster if it was made up of some of our guys.

Our group of WRs seems much scarier if they were the enemy coming in to kick the Jets ass!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

probably about right in the ranking.  they don't have that really scary receiver yet.  maybe garrett or moore will be the guy.  maybe davis will show way more.  and that's the main difference between the top teams and the jets.  and it helps to have player groups that have played a few games together and have been available.  it's also going to depend on how lafleur chooses to use these guys.  they got two good rb's and an oline that should be able to open some good holes.  and then they also brought in a couple of good te's.  this sounds like a lot of short passing and slants with good running and a few down field attempts.  we'll see what happens.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very fair. I'd have us just creeping into the B tier. I'd probably have Philly higher and KC a bit lower. 

Here's hoping Moore and Wilson elevate it to the top two tiers - They haven't done enough yet but the talent is there. The group needs to stay healthy. 

Edit: It included TE's so that explains the rankings of KC. Still have Philly higher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FootballLove said:

When trying to figure out how good (or not) our offensive weapons are, I close my eyes and imagine a mid season game with Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs coming to town. Mahomes throwing to a bunch of great WRs led by WR1 6'-3" Cory Davis, Great hands and rout runner Elijah Moore, this years best WR in the draft and real burner Garrett Wilson, and 3rd yr speedster 6'-3" Denzyl Mims. LOL that group would seen unstoppable!

I just try to picture our guys as the 'other' guys coming to town and what I'd think of their roster if it was made up of some of our guys.

Our group of WRs seems much scarier if they were the enemy coming in to kick the Jets ass!

Zach Wilson is obviously the least scary part of this offense right now. At least to other teams, he kind of terrifies me. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Zach Wilson is obviously the least scary part of this offense right now. At least to other teams, he kind of terrifies me. 

Wilson doesn't need to be Mahomes level good in year two.  We can win games if he's Derek Carr level good...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Wilson doesn't need to be Mahomes level good in year two.  We can win games if he's Derek Carr level good...

Or at least not Zach Wilson bad, be an ok start. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Top 15 without seeing what we even have with Wilson and Mims yet.

Could get a lot higher with some luck. 

If they aren't giving Wilson a high grade, I can't see them being that high.  They basically downgraded at WR since 2021 losing Crowder and Cole.  The TEs and Wilson are the only thing that brings them up.  If you add Uzomah and Conklin's best seasons you are right around 1,000 yards, so I'd say it's mostly Wilson.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, FootballLove said:

When trying to figure out how good (or not) our offensive weapons are, I close my eyes and imagine a mid season game with Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs coming to town. Mahomes throwing to a bunch of great WRs led by WR1 6'-3" Cory Davis, Great hands and rout runner Elijah Moore, this years best WR in the draft and real burner Garrett Wilson, and 3rd yr speedster 6'-3" Denzyl Mims. LOL that group would seen unstoppable!

I just try to picture our guys as the 'other' guys coming to town and what I'd think of their roster if it was made up of some of our guys.

Our group of WRs seems much scarier if they were the enemy coming in to kick the Jets ass!

  Nice way to view it. What part of the Jets passing attack would worry teams the most? Another way to say it specific to our division, what part of our offense is BB going to take away?

I’m think rushing attack first and foremost is the scariest part of our team.  Not only do we have great run blockers but we also have great rushers. In the passing game, I’m thinking quick passes to Moore/Wilson. Both create quick separation and are excellent after the catch. Plus Zach has a quick release.

Zach hitting deep shots is going to be a big deal. He needs to hit those in order to losing up the defense so that we can play to our strengths. Otherwise teams will play close to the line until he proves he can beat them deep.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Wilson doesn't need to be Mahomes level good in year two.  We can win games if he's Derek Carr level good...

Derek Carr actually is a very good QB.   If Zach is ever as good as Carr homerun.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Derek Carr actually is a very good QB.   If Zach is ever as good as Carr homerun.  

Wasn't there an article recently that said that Jets look at Derek Carr as the dividing line between guys you pay and guys you don't?  The premise was Derek Carr or better you get a contract extension.  Worse than Derek Carr you get the Darnold treatment.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I honestly adore the kid, but that doesn’t change the fact he was bad last year. 

He knows it too.  There’s no Darnold “I’ve proven I’m great” stuff from him.  

As the game slows down for him it’s going to be a different story.  The splash “wow” plays were the ones he’s repped a bunch.

Eventually he will know the offense and NFL defenses.  I think we get a big step this season but I wouldn’t be surprised to see another big step year 3 too.

As much as he looks like a gunner, he seems like he needs to know what’s going on at a high level to do what he does and that takes time.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

He knows it too.  There’s no Darnold “I’ve proven I’m great” stuff from him.  

As the game slows down for him it’s going to be a different story.  The splash “wow” plays were the ones he’s repped a bunch.

Eventually he will know the offense and NFL defenses.  I think we get a big step this season but I wouldn’t be surprised to see another big step year 3 too.

As much as he looks like a gunner, he seems like he needs to know what’s going on at a high level to do what he does and that takes time.  

And all JN’s people said Amen. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they placed the jets about right.  With better QB play we could be higher.  But that is a horribly disorganized podcast.  Fundamental rule:  If you are going to do lists, do them in some kind of order.  Seemed like they were jumping all over the place, stream of consciousness.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

If they aren't giving Wilson a high grade, I can't see them being that high.  They basically downgraded at WR since 2021 losing Crowder and Cole.  The TEs and Wilson are the only thing that brings them up.  If you add Uzomah and Conklin's best seasons you are right around 1,000 yards, so I'd say it's mostly Wilson.

Quit overthinking it and roll with my positivity! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...