OT - Lets Go Rangers! (Stanley Cup Run)

5 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

UH OH icelanders, devils and flyers fans don't look now but the Rangers just put a 6 spot on Vasilevsky. This is far from over but we're for real. Don't you dare let us win it this year or you guys will have a long summer because we got the receipts. 

So you play for the Rangers?  You are going to win the Cup?  And Islanders, Devils, and Flyers fans all play for those teams?  There's nothing I can do as a fan to prevent the Rangers from winning the Cup and nothing you can do as a fan to win the Cup. Enjoy the ride because it's a great time to be a fan (I won't rain on your parade), but you are not winning these games - the team you root for is. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So you play for the Rangers?  You are going to win the Cup?  And Islanders, Devils, and Flyers fans all play for those teams?  There's nothing I can do as a fan to prevent the Rangers from winning the Cup and nothing you can do as a fan to win the Cup. Enjoy the ride because it's a great time to be a fan (I won't rain on your parade), but you are not winning these games - the team you root for is. 

Look at you, you've never said "we" when referring to your team. And you've never talked trash to other fans? Ok guy.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, Green Ghost said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

For some reason “cities” seem to go on runs where multiple teams are good at once.

For a while there it was Boston/NE, lately it’s been Tampa Bay (of all places). LA had a run also. Maybe it’s our turn again?

@islesmb the neg repping by a bitter Islander fan is a fly on the wall to Ranger fans right now. You guys have a good team which simply had a bad season. I feel for you, but it’s not our fault your team will always be the little brother in comparison to the Rangers.

It doesn’t matter how good or bad you guys (and the Nets) are, you’re insignificant on the NY sports landscape.

Let’s be honest here, if it wasn’t for the attention you get playing against the Rangers in our “rivalry games”, who actually pays any attention to your team?

This is just an obnoxious post. While I have many friends who are Rangers fans and I don't want to rain on their parade,  fans like you make it hard to be gracious while the Rangers have this success.  To claim that the Islanders are insignificant is just ignorant, especially coming from a Jets fan.  They certainly were not insignificant the past two post seasons.  And before this postseason, I can't remember the last time anyone cared about the Rangers.  The only news they have made the past 5 years was winning a rigged draft lottery.  As for the "rivalry games", the Islanders are 25-12 vs the Rangers since 2015.  I know the Islanders are sitting at home now, but you made the argument that the only attention the Islanders get is playing against the Rangers.  Those games have not gone well for the Rangers recently.  

Posts like this solidify the reputation of some Rangers fans as unjustifiably entitled and arrogant - like Yankees and Pats fans, but without the titles and history to back up the arrogance.  One cup in 82 years doesn't give Rangers fans the right to boast about anything or claim that the metro NY hockey world sun rises and sets on their asses.  So, yes - the Rangers are having a nice run and are legit Cup contenders. Congratulations.   Yes, there are more Rangers fans in the NY metro area than Islanders fans or Devils fans.  But that is only because the Rangers have been here longer. They are not exactly a storied franchise with their long history of futility.  Absent Mark Messier's heroics in 94, I believe the Rangers would have the longest current championship drought in US professional sports.  

• Thumb Down 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, Green Ghost said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

For some reason “cities” seem to go on runs where multiple teams are good at once.

For a while there it was Boston/NE, lately it’s been Tampa Bay (of all places). LA had a run also. Maybe it’s our turn again?

@islesmb the neg repping by a bitter Islander fan is a fly on the wall to Ranger fans right now. You guys have a good team which simply had a bad season. I feel for you, but it’s not our fault your team will always be the little brother in comparison to the Rangers.

It doesn’t matter how good or bad you guys (and the Nets) are, you’re insignificant on the NY sports landscape.

Let’s be honest here, if it wasn’t for the attention you get playing against the Rangers in our “rivalry games”, who actually pays any attention to your team?

Ive been wearing my Rangers hat and golf shirt  last few weeks.  Our member member this weekend…Im decked in my Rangers hat.  GO Blue Shirts!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is just an obnoxious post. While I have many friends who are Rangers fans and I don't want to rain on their parade,  fans like you make it hard to be gracious while the Rangers have this success.  To claim that the Islanders are insignificant is just ignorant, especially coming from a Jets fan.  They certainly were not insignificant the past two post seasons.  And before this postseason, I can't remember the last time anyone cared about the Rangers.  The only news they have made the past 5 years was winning a rigged draft lottery.  As for the "rivalry games", the Islanders are 25-12 vs the Rangers since 2015.  I know the Islanders are sitting at home now, but you made the argument that the only attention the Islanders get is playing against the Rangers.  Those games have not gone well for the Rangers recently.  

Posts like this solidify the reputation of some Rangers fans as unjustifiably entitled and arrogant - like Yankees and Pats fans, but without the titles and history to back up the arrogance.  One cup in 82 years doesn't give Rangers fans the right to boast about anything or claim that the metro NY hockey world sun rises and sets on their asses.  So, yes - the Rangers are having a nice run and are legit Cup contenders. Congratulations.   Yes, there are more Rangers fans in the NY metro area than Islanders fans or Devils fans.  But that is only because the Rangers have been here longer. They are not exactly a storied franchise with their long history of futility.  Absent Mark Messier's heroics in 94, I believe the Rangers would have the longest current championship drought in US professional sports.  

I grew up 10 minutes from the coliseum and have been a Islanders fan since the 80's and I hate to break it to you the Islanders and Nets are insignificant in the NY sports landscape weather they are winning or losing.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You can't remember anyone caring about the Rangers but they sell out or damn close every single night. At Madison Square Garden. The Lafrenniere draft was rigged? It was god damn televised and they hadn't had the #1 overall since 1965. Nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Ive been wearing my Rangers hat and golf shirt  last few weeks.  Our member member this weekend…Im decked in my Rangers hat.  GO Blue Shirts!!!!!!!

I’m taking the garbage out before game 7 with canes. I got a ranger shirt on, 20 mins before puck drop, guy driving by, had to be mid 50s to early 60s slows down starts screaming out the window “GO BLUE!!!!”  About 5x than blows the horn and takes off. Pretty funny. Had to explain my 6 year old son who, like the rest of the city has caught the ranger fever what happened. Good times 

Also Seen a guy the other day in the pork store with an authentic Reaves jersey. Also pretty cool

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It's awesome....   Ive been a fan since I  am 5, I'm 60 now. 1994 for me was very special.  I was in NY (moved to NC in 95) and had the Newsday cover framed. I have 1 in my office, the other in my home.

IMG_3868.jpg

Yea. I remember 94 well. Unfortunately I was a kid and didn’t grasp how hard it was to win a championship. Didn’t appreciate it enough. As big of a ranger fan as I am. The greatest thing to me to come out of this playoffs so far is, it has hooked in my son. He’s 6. He’s a ranger fan but after I took him to game 5 Pens series. He’s all in. On his way to school makes his mother call me to see if they won (falls asleep mid 2nd with the 8pm starts), knows when the games are, knows a decent amount of players. It’s great

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

After last season I thought the Islanders franchise was tracking for a trip to the finals this year.  It was a crazy year for them and I am not really sure if this was simply a one-year anomaly or if that team needs more serious tinkering in order to make another run.  I fear it may be the latter.

With that said this Rangers team is ridiculously young and built the right way.  I think that the playoff run this year is like cramming several years worth of invaluable experience into a single year. The window for this team to be really good may be open for a very long time.  Obviously we still need the kids to continue to develop and there will be challenges to manage the cap but those are good problems to have.

But then there is this year.

Some players and teams go their whole careers never getting to a conference finals.  We need to continue to chase after the prize this year like a starving man will chase after food.  Colorado certainly looks scary but the idea that we can go toe to toe with the 2-time reigning champions is very appealing.  Clearly that team feels as if they have another gear and that they intend to bring it tonight.  As a fan I feel like we are playing with house money but I am also greedy and find myself wanting more.  Another win tonight would go a very long way towards shocking the hockey world,  Again.  

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, EM31 said:

After last season I thought the Islanders franchise was tracking for a trip to the finals this year.  It was a crazy year for them and I am not really sure if this was simply a one-year anomaly or if that team needs more serious tinkering in order to make another run.  I fear it may be the latter.

With that said this Rangers team is ridiculously young and built the right way.  I think that the playoff run this year is like cramming several years worth of invaluable experience into a single year. The window for this team to be really good may be open for a very long time.  Obviously we still need the kids to continue to develop and there will be challenges to manage the cap but those are good problems to have.

But then there is this year.

Some players and teams go their whole careers never getting to a conference finals.  We need to continue to chase after the prize this year like a starving man will chase after food.  Colorado certainly looks scary but the idea that we can go toe to toe with the 2-time reigning champions is very appealing.  Clearly that team feels as if they have another gear and that they intend to bring it tonight.  As a fan I feel like we are playing with house money but I am also greedy and find myself wanting more.  Another win tonight would go a very long way towards shocking the hockey world,  Again.  

I don’t see it as house money. We are one of the final 4. We beat the 2nd best regular season team in the conference in 7 games with an ass whoopin to close it out. 

Our time is now. It can be in the future again, but I want it now and I don’t think it’s unreasonable. I won’t take any solace in losing but being ahead of schedule. I definitely will appreciate the run. But anything but a cup at this point is a disappointment to me as a fan. Will be happy with the team and there season, but who knows when we will ever get another shot. Look at the black and blue rangers CF 3x SC 1x and then the window shut or even like you said the islanders (who were a really fun team to watch last years playoffs) Never know when it can end. 

In the words of jake Taylor’s. Win the whole ****in thing 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Very deep analysis…..?

LOL. That is about as deep as my hockey analysis runs haha.

I just needed to post something to bump this back up as I moved it to the NFL forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

We are all Jets fans here. I will try to be respectful. But Islanders fans are ruining this thread. For a change, a New York area team is competing for a title in a major sports in USA. Can Islanders fans take back seat and allow Rangers fans enjoy the series? 

Wait….there are Islander fans?
  • Haha 4

On 6/2/2022 at 10:05 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Ice Hockey Smile GIF by New York Rangers

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t see it as house money. We are one of the final 4. We beat the 2nd best regular season team in the conference in 7 games with an ass whoopin to close it out. 

Our time is now. It can be in the future again, but I want it now and I don’t think it’s unreasonable. I won’t take any solace in losing but being ahead of schedule. I definitely will appreciate the run. But anything but a cup at this point is a disappointment to me as a fan. Will be happy with the team and there season, but who knows when we will ever get another shot. Look at the black and blue rangers CF 3x SC 1x and then the window shut or even like you said the islanders (who were a really fun team to watch last years playoffs) Never know when it can end. 

In the words of jake Taylor’s. Win the whole ****in thing 

Exactly. We as Ranger fans know better than anyone that these type of opportunities aren’t guaranteed in the future.
This team is rolling now, we need to stop talking about things like  “how valuable it is to gain playoff experience”.

We’re 6 wins away from the Stanley Cup!!!

• Upvote 2

On 6/2/2022 at 10:12 PM, southparkcpa said:

I play with a lot of Penguin fans. I did the same during that series. We talked a lot of trash, but to their credit, most of them are pulling for me/the Rangers now.

I think they respect the fact that the teams I root for (Jets, Mets, Rangers, Syracuse, Knicks) aren’t exactly perennial contenders, lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I play with a lot of Penguin fans. I did the same during that series. We talked a lot of trash, but to their credit, most of them are pulling for me/the Rangers now.

I think they respect the fact that the teams I root for (Jets, Mets, Rangers, Syracuse, Knicks) aren’t exactly perennial contenders, lol.

Yeah dude, I feel your pain.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

That Newsday back page… the day after we won in ‘94 I was in Modell’s with my then 6yo daughter. It was packed with Ranger fans. She saw a tee shirt with the back page screened on the front and wanted it. The problem was it was a mens size Large.

I told her no, it would come down to the floor on her. A few guys nearby heard me, and seeing the look on her face, began chanting “buy the kid the shirt!” Next thing you know, about 100 people are laughing and chanting.

I was a beaten man, ? I brought the shirt up to the counter to a loud ovation, but what was unreal, and sums up the elation fans felt that day, was that those same guys who started the chant brought up two Stanley Cup hats and another tee for me, and insisted on paying for them.

BTW best part of that story? My daughter wore that shirt as a nightgown for years… from when it covered her feet, up until she was so tall enough it only came down to her thighs. 

Its actually the front page AND backpage. Like a fold out. BUT that's a GREAT story!!!!!  I remember on sunrise highway a few large trucks selling NY Rangers CUP stuff on the highway.  You can see they travel from city to city when teams win. 

• Upvote 2