OT - Lets Go Rangers! (Stanley Cup Run)

8 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

We are all Jets fans here. I will try to be respectful. But Islanders fans are ruining this thread. For a change, a New York area team is competing for a title in a major sports in USA. Can Islanders fans take back seat and allow Rangers fans enjoy the series? 

That’s the problem living in an area with multiple teams. Also the Ranger-Islander rivalry is the greatest in this area and most bitter since the Yankee-Dodger rivalry when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn. I have been a Rangers fan since the 70’s. My in-laws and co-workers were Islander fans. It was unbearable back when the Islanders won  4 straight cups in the early 80’s. The stupid “1940” chants and then heaven when we won the Cup in ‘94.

Go Rangers!!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

See all the pundits don't give the Rangers a chance... TB is playing on their heels... Let's see how they do in Tampa. 

I think as I said earlier that Rangers match up better against TB then Carolina... 

Let's not forget... They have not lost to Tampa yet this season, but everyone finds a way to discredit, everything they do. 

Next up is the dark horse season nobody saw coming from the jets when they win the afce and go deep in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

That’s the problem living in an area with multiple teams. Also the Ranger-Islander rivalry is the greatest in this area and most bitter since the Yankee-Dodger rivalry when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn. I have been a Rangers fan since the 70’s. My in-laws and co-workers were Islander fans. It was unbearable back when the Islanders won  4 straight cups in the early 80’s. The stupid “1940” chants and then heaven when we won the Cup in ‘94.

Go Rangers!!!!!!

I don't  think the Islander Ranger rivalry is anywhere close to Yankees Red Sox.  As for Islander Rangers rivalry,  there really isn't  one since both teams haven't  been good at the same time for a while (what I mean by good is a threat for the cup). 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

See all the pundits don't give the Rangers a chance... TB is playing on their heels... Let's see how they do in Tampa. 

I think as I said earlier that Rangers match up better against TB then Carolina... 

Let's not forget... They have not lost to Tampa yet this season, but everyone finds a way to discredit, everything they do. 

Next up is the dark horse season nobody saw coming from the jets when they win the afce and go deep in the playoffs. 

This next game in Tampa is going to be the most physical  the Rangers have played which will be the biggest test for them. Hopefully guys like Miller will take it to Tampa as well. 

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Go Rangers!!!!!!

Rangers islanders 

rangers devils 

islanders devils 

is really the only rivalry in metro area, there all in same division and they share “same city”

Yankees mets

giants jets 

arent even in same conference/league

Forgot about basketball I guess you would put knicks nets also, but do the nets have any type of following at all?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Rangers islanders 

rangers devils 

islanders devils 

is really the only rivalry in metro area, there all in same division and they share “same city”

Yankees mets

giants jets 

Forgot about basketball I guess you would put knicks nets also, but do the nets have any type of following at all?

Since the Nets got Durant and Irving, they picked up a lot of fans expecting a championship which is great for Knick fans because now it looks like they need to blow the team up again. 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Tampa is gassed from winning the cup in consecutive years PLUS those years are the weirdest schedules in hockey. Haven’t had a long off season since 2019. They have half their skaters over 30. The Rangers are pushing them off the puck at will while they try and set up plays. If they can get one in Tampa it’s a wrap 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think the Islander Ranger rivalry is anywhere close to Yankees Red Sox.  As for Islander Rangers rivalry,  there really isn't  one since both teams haven't  been good at the same time for a while (what I mean by good is a threat for the cup). 

I’m talking about team rivalries that are in the same market.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Rangers islanders 

rangers devils 

islanders devils 

Yankees mets

giants jets 

Nets - Knicks doesn’t come close to the NHL rivalries 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

Tampa is gassed from winning the cup in consecutive years PLUS those years are the weirdest schedules in hockey. Haven’t had a long off season since 2019. They have half their skaters over 30. The Rangers are pushing them off the puck at will while they try and set up plays. If they can get one in Tampa it’s a wrap 

I wouldn't say the Rangers are pushing them around all that much but they have out-skated them by a large margin. The second period last night was all Rangers beating them down the ice. This is encouraging because I don't see Edmonton beating Colorado and that series will be all about speed. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This next game in Tampa is going to be the most physical  the Rangers have played which will be the biggest test for them. Hopefully guys like Miller will take it to Tampa as well. 

Sure I agree but Carolina was super physical and bigger team... They were suffocating... Tampa is better offensively which actually works in Rangers favor... 

Carolina shut down Zib and Tampa did better in game 2 but hasn't been able to shut him down in the 5 games they have played... I expect Rangers to lose game 3 and Tampa to give their best effort but I am hoping they can steal one of these next 2.

• Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Sure I agree but Carolina was super physical and bigger team... They were suffocating... Tampa is better offensively which actually works in Rangers favor... 

Carolina shut down Zib and Tampa did better in game 2 but hasn't been able to shut him down in the 5 games they have played... I expect Rangers to lose game 3 and Tampa to give their best effort but I am hoping they can steal one of these next 2.

Carolina may have the best press in the NHL and seven games against them got us to the point where we were either going to figure it out or go home.  Right now when Tampa tries to press us it looks really weak and slow compared to the 'Canes.

We should thank Carolina

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

I think they can take 1. Tampa can't  deal with the Rangers speed. I do see Tampa trying to push the Rangers around and it seemed like they took it up a level in game 2. In the next game I think there will be a hitting and hard hitting whenever the opportunity is there if refs allow it. 

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Think you missed the point of his post

Their rivalry has been in place since the Islander dynasty.  As a Ranger fan I know I always look at the Ranger - Islander games differently from others.  Anyone who was a hockey fan in the 80's should

I don't  know. Maybe being on the other side of the dynasty years, I look at it differently. I never got up more when they played the Rangers as compared to say Philly back then. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know. Maybe being on the other side of the dynasty years, I look at it differently. I never got up more when they played the Rangers as compared to say Philly back then. 

You honestly dont feel the difference in their games against each other, dont hear it and see it in the stands?

Its a great rivalry because it exists regardless of the teams records.  Just like Red Sox/Yankees

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think they can take 1. Tampa can't  deal with the Rangers speed. I do see Tampa trying to push the Rangers around and it seemed like they took it up a level in game 2. In the next game I think there will be a hitting and hard hitting whenever the opportunity is there if refs allow it. 

With the games switching to Tampa the Lightning get the advantage of last change so they control the match-ups.

I think hockey is the only sport with a built in rule that gives an advantage to the home team. It'll be interesting 

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You honestly dont feel the difference in their games against each other, dont hear it and see it in the stands?

Its a great rivalry because it exists regardless of the teams records.  Just like Red Sox/Yankees

Might just be me. I don't  hate the Giants either. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Snook said:

With the games switching to Tampa the Lightning get the advantage of last change so they control the match-ups.

I think hockey is the only sport with a built in rule that gives an advantage to the home team. It'll be interesting 

Baseball also. Getting to hit at the bottom of the inning is an advantage 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Baseball also. Getting to hit at the bottom of the inning is an advantage 

True but I don't think that's a big of advantage as being able to match up every single stoppage of play. (And why does the visiting team have to put their stick on the ice first during a face off?) 

Controlling the match up can be key. Look at Carolina, winless on the road and undefeated at home until they lost to the Rangers.

12 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Go Rangers!!!!!!

The 70’s???? Rookie. ? Rangers were the first sports team I embraced in the 60’s, followed by Mets, Jets, Knicks. I remember watching games on tv in black and white!!!! ? Gibert, Ratelle, Hatfield,  And let’s not forget the great Eddie Giacoman. Wow this guy, like most GT’s in his day, never wore a mask. SICK!!!! Anyways, Tex Rickard is all smiles looking down on his Rangers. Let’s GO Rangers!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

One of the best hockey games I’ve seen in years. It’s like a light switch went on in the middle of the Canes series. Kid line is incredible. I’m now a believer. Hope I didn’t just jinx them!

• Upvote 1