Jump to content

OT - Lets Go Rangers! (Stanley Cup Run)


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I wouldn't say the Rangers are pushing them around all that much but they have out-skated them by a large margin. The second period last night was all Rangers beating them down the ice. This is encouraging because I don't see Edmonton beating Colorado and that series will be all about speed. 

Let's see what happens tonight now that the series moves to Edmonton.  I don't think this series is over.  Both these teams are scary though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Technically it was the pennant, but still fits 😝 

It was a 1 game playoff to determine the AL East winner. Had to look it up to confirm. I wasn’t sure if my memory failed me like it does more and more these days, but on this one it didn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  I am on the other side of the rivalry, but there is always a little something extra to that Islanders-Rangers rivalry.  80 games a year, the only ones that are must watch for me are Isles-Rangers.  And while I hate losing to anyone, it always stings a little more if it comes at the hands of the Rangers.  Nearly 30 years since we have met the playoffs,  Which may be a good thing, because as I get older, I am not sure my heart could take a Ranger-Islander playoff series. 

Good luck to you and the Ranger fans this week.  I may hate your team, but I don't hate you guys.  Enjoy the rest of this run, looks like it may be something special.

Thanks buddy, I know how hard that is, have been on other sided too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

The 70’s???? Rookie. 😂 Rangers we’re the first sports team I embraced in the 60’s, followed by Mets, Jets, Knicks. I remember watching games on tv in black and white!!!! 😎 Gibert, Ratelle, Hatfield,  And let’s not forget the great Eddie Giacoman. Wow this guy, like most GT’s in his day, never wore a mask. SICK!!!! Anyways, Tex Rickard is all smiles looking down on his Rangers. Let’s GO Rangers!!!

The Yankees and Jets were first for me in 1968. (Unbelievable the Jets won the Super Bowl the first year I rooted for them.) I also got into the Knicks but have since not followed basketball too much.
As for the Rangers, I got into them in the early 70’s and my first traumatized experience was the Parisi goal in 1975. (I heard it on radio as I did not have cable yet). I certainly remember watching the road games on Channel 9.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jets512 said:

It was a 1 game playoff to determine the AL East winner. Had to look it up to confirm. I wasn’t sure if my memory failed me like it does more and more these days, but on this one it didn’t. 

Memory got you again

Here I looked it up for you

It was long before the 1 game playoff  middle of the movie when Lou brown tells them they were hired cause they sucked  

They end up winning a one game playoff but he had no idea they would be in that game when it was said 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Memory got you again

Here I looked it up for you

It was long before the 1 game playoff  middle of the movie when Lou brown tells them they were hired cause they sucked  

They end up winning a one game playoff but he had no idea they would be in that game when it was said 

 

 

You’re right. I only looked to see if the end of that movie was the division winning game because I remembered the end of Major League 2 was them winning the pennant. But yea the scene after that video they mention pennant fever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lith said:

while I hate losing to anyone, it always stings a little more if it comes at the hands of the Rangers.  Nearly 30 years since we have met the playoffs,  Which may be a good thing, because as I get older, I am not sure my heart could take a Ranger-Islander playoff series. 

No no no no you don’t get off that easy. Those 80’s playoff seasons vs the Isles  were traumatic causing PTSD for years. Time for some payback. Let’s Get It On! 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No no no no you don’t get off that easy. Those 80’s playoff seasons vs the Isles  were traumatic causing PTSD for years. Time for some payback. Let’s Get It On! 

 

Easy?  You think this has been easy.  Seeing you guys on the brink of elimination in 5 against Pitt and coming back.  Then going down 3-2 to Carolina only to dominate the last two games.  And now to watch you jumping out to a 2-0 lead and completely outplaying the team that eliminated us the last two years, including last year on a goal in game 7 that should not have counted.  Nope I am not getting off easy at all.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Easy?  You think this has been easy.  Seeing you guys on the brink of elimination in 5 against Pitt and coming back.  Then going down 3-2 to Carolina only to dominate the last two games.  And now to watch you jumping out to a 2-0 lead and completely outplaying the team that eliminated us the last two years, including last year on a goal in game 7 that should not have counted.  Nope I am not getting off easy at all.

Last years TB isles series was a very entertaining and although I hate to admit it, I truly enjoyed that islanders team. Fun to watch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Easy?  You think this has been easy.  Seeing you guys on the brink of elimination in 5 against Pitt and coming back.  Then going down 3-2 to Carolina only to dominate the last two games.  And now to watch you jumping out to a 2-0 lead and completely outplaying the team that eliminated us the last two years, including last year on a goal in game 7 that should not have counted.  Nope I am not getting off easy at all.

LoL 😂 That’s nothing compared to the heartaches Ranger fans endured at the hands of the Isles in the 80’s. You get no sympathy from me my friend. ZILCH. In fact, can’t wait till we meet in the playoffs. The rivalry is bound to be reborn. This past season was an atrocity for the Isels. Probably suffered a huge hangover from last years playoffs. Both the Rangers and Isles are set up for the future and it’s inevitable they will once again be at each other’s throats. I’m really excited with the Rangers youth movement and how they have played.  These kids have matured amazingly. A few more moves, some more experience for these kiddies and this Ranger team is set to make some serious noise. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

LoL 😂 That’s nothing compared to the heartaches Ranger fans endured at the hands of the Isles in the 80’s. You get no sympathy from me my friend. ZILCH. In fact, can’t wait till we meet in the playoffs. The rivalry is bound to be reborn. This past season was an atrocity for the Isels. Probably suffered a huge hangover from last years playoffs. Both the Rangers and Isles are set up for the future and it’s inevitable they will once again be at each other’s throats. I’m really excited with the Rangers youth movement and how they have played.  These kids have matured amazingly. A few more moves, some more experience for these kiddies and this Ranger team is set to make some serious noise. 

Young fans have NO CLUE. The heartache. On LI, I remember being one of only a handful of Rangers fans in a bar for the playoffs. When they were Islander home games, hard to get the game so we went out. Entire bar shouting 1940... me and about 5 guys shouting "Beat your wife Potvin. Beat your wife".

I remember them scoring a late/OT goal against Glen Hanlon when I though we finally had them. 83 or 84 can't remember. Was so deflated.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Easy?  You think this has been easy.  Seeing you guys on the brink of elimination in 5 against Pitt and coming back.  Then going down 3-2 to Carolina only to dominate the last two games.  And now to watch you jumping out to a 2-0 lead and completely outplaying the team that eliminated us the last two years, including last year on a goal in game 7 that should not have counted.  Nope I am not getting off easy at all.

Didn't realize you were an Islander fan.  I have to give credit to true Isle fans because you guys had it rough for a long time until Lamoriello.  Have to admit you guys are incredibly loud at times (certainly in the "Tavares' return" game).  No idea why they fired Trotz but LL has always had a quick trigger on HCs.

Did you ever see the 30 for 30 on the guy who tried to buy the Isles but was a fraud?  I haven't seen it in a while now but I remember it being a very good (and crazy) documentary.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

LoL 😂 That’s nothing compared to the heartaches Ranger fans endured at the hands of the Isles in the 80’s. You get no sympathy from me my friend. ZILCH. In fact, can’t wait till we meet in the playoffs. The rivalry is bound to be reborn. This past season was an atrocity for the Isels. Probably suffered a huge hangover from last years playoffs. Both the Rangers and Isles are set up for the future and it’s inevitable they will once again be at each other’s throats. I’m really excited with the Rangers youth movement and how they have played.  These kids have matured amazingly. A few more moves, some more experience for these kiddies and this Ranger team is set to make some serious noise. 

Meeting again in the playoffs would be awesome.  Hard to beieve it has been 28 years siince a NYR-NYI playoff series.

Its gameday for you guys -- the day to talk Rangers-Lightning, not Isles-Rangers; plenty of time for that in the offseason.  I would wish you luck today, but I wouldn't nean it.  Enjoy the game is the best I can do.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Yankees and Jets were first for me in 1968. (Unbelievable the Jets won the Super Bowl the first year I rooted for them.) I also got into the Knicks but have since not followed basketball too much.
As for the Rangers, I got into them in the early 70’s and my first traumatized experience was the Parisi goal in 1975. (I heard it on radio as I did not have cable yet). I certainly remember watching the road games on Channel 9.

 

Your story brought back a LOT of old memories! I too started rooting for the Jets in ‘68. Lived 5 minutes from Hofstra. Knicks and Mets as well. What a magical time! I also remember listening to the Ranger games when I was supposed to be sleeping. Little radio under the sheets listening to the games. The Isles playoffs left some deep scars back then.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Meeting again in the playoffs would be awesome.  Hard to beieve it has been 28 years siince a NYR-NYI playoff series.

Its gameday for you guys -- the day to talk Rangers-Lightning, not Isles-Rangers; plenty of time for that in the offseason.  I would wish you luck today, but I wouldn't nean it.  Enjoy the game is the best I can do.

There will be "Potvin Svcks" chants at the game today though.  :)  Cracks me up.

I wonder what opposing fans (who weren't aware of it beforehand) think of that 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Young fans have NO CLUE. The heartache. On LI, I remember being one of only a handful of Rangers fans in a bar for the playoffs. When they were Islander home games, hard to get the game so we went out. Entire bar shouting 1940... me and about 5 guys shouting "Beat your wife Potvin. Beat your wife".

I remember them scoring a late/OT goal against Glen Hanlon when I though we finally had them. 83 or 84 can't remember. Was so deflated.

 

 

Been a Rangers fan since I was in forth grade and all time favorite player was Rod Gilbert since I had written a fan letter to him and he responded by sending an autographed photo of himself and I was beyond excited and thrilled. Also randomly met him a few times when I got older but the first time I met him he was walking on Madison Avenue and I was completely star struck. He stopped and was so gracious and friendly just a real real great guy. Told him about the photo and he seemed genuinely grateful that I would remember that from so long ago. 
Now to the topic at hand which is I can’t stand the Islanders as they broke all Rangers fans collective hearts far to many time starting with JP Parise’s goal in OT to the them winning the Stanley Cup all those years. But all Rangers fans will fondly remember beating them in six games in 79 to advance to the Finals. It was a time that the only way to see games was either have a ticket or go to a bar in Manhattan since the Boros weren’t wired for cable at the time. Bar we went to was the Blarney Stone on 59 street between 2nd & 3rd and what a great ten days of partying the city was just buzzing with anticipation of the games and rocking during them 

One game there was a very loud very obnoxious group of about 5 Islander fans in a bar packed full of Rangers fans and they just wouldn’t shut the hell up. After many threats that this group of five was going to kick all of our Rangers fans collective asses they wound up going through the big plate glass window in front of the bar and wound up bloodied and face down on 59 street    I guess what I am trying to say is The Rangers Islanders rivalry is one of the most intense if not the number one rivalry in professional sports. It’s great when they face each other especially in the playoffs. Boy do I miss those days 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Young fans have NO CLUE. The heartache. On LI, I remember being one of only a handful of Rangers fans in a bar for the playoffs. When they were Islander home games, hard to get the game so we went out. Entire bar shouting 1940... me and about 5 guys shouting "Beat your wife Potvin. Beat your wife".

I remember them scoring a late/OT goal against Glen Hanlon when I though we finally had them. 83 or 84 can't remember. Was so deflated.

 

 

Yep Southpark. Ken fuching Morrow beat Hanlon from the top of the circle to Hanlons left. 
Morrow had a real long career and maybe scored a dozen goals. 
I put him in the same category that Boston Red Sox fans have Bucky “fuching “ Dent in 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't realize you were an Islander fan.  I have to give credit to true Isle fans because you guys had it rough for a long time until Lamoriello.  Have to admit you guys are incredibly loud at times (certainly in the "Tavares' return" game).  No idea why they fired Trotz but LL has always had a quick trigger on HCs.

Did you ever see the 30 for 30 on the guy who tried to buy the Isles but was a fraud?  I haven't seen it in a while now but I remember it being a very good (and crazy) documentary.  

John Spano.  Bought the team with no money.  I think that was the era of the fisherman logo.  Dark days for Islander fans.

Been an Islander fan since the team was founded in 72. Actually I started of as a real young kid watching and rooting for the Rangers.  First game I ever went to was at the Garden in 70 or 71.  Eddie Giacomin shut out the Blues, 2-0.  Then the Isles came along, I lived 20 minutes from the Coliseum.  Tix were $3 for kids.  Rooted for both teams for a couple of years, then when we started meeting in the playoffs every year, we all had to choose sides, and I chose the local Long Island team.  Became a season ticket holder for the end of the Cup run.

I have ony rooted for the Rangers once in the last 45 or so years.  Went to a Rangers-Blackhawks game at the United Center.  I had every intention of rooting for the Hawks, but 20,000 people chanting "New York Sucks" was more than I could take (they don't do that for Islander games).  I wanted them to go home unhappy.  Jagr scored in OT, the Rangers won and I enjoyed it.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 10:55 AM, Jet Nut said:

You honestly dont feel the difference in their games against each other, dont hear it and see it in the stands?

Its a great rivalry because it exists regardless of the teams records.  Just like Red Sox/Yankees

Rangers Islanders are a special rivalry to be sure but in some ways it was a little resentment from the Islander fan base who felt they did not get the full respect of NY after their dynasty in the 80s.  Maybe they are right to feel that way.  After all they the the team with all the rings yet any time they played the Rangers in their own building the Rangers fans would outnumber them.  In their own building let alone at MSG!  Maybe the Islander  fan base is right to feel; like they were being short changed in the respect department.   But let's be honest here.  Rangers-Devils rivalry became the bigger story in the 90s than Rangers Islanders.

As a Jets fan I hate the Dolphins but the Patriots moved to #1 on my hated franchise list a long time ago.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Rangers Islanders are a special rivalry to be sure but in some ways it was a little resentment from the Islander fan base who felt they did not get the full respect of NY after their dynasty in the 80s.  Maybe they are right to feel that way.  After all they the the team with all the rings yet any time they played the Rangers in their own building the Rangers fans would outnumber them.  In their own building let alone at MSG!  Maybe the Islander  fan base is right to feel; like they were being short changed in the respect department.   But let's be honest here.  Rangers-Devils rivalry became the bigger story in the 90s than Rangers Islanders.

As a Jets fan I hate the Dolphins but the Patriots moved to #1 on my hated franchise list a long time ago.

Totally agree.  I remember going to Ranger Islander playoff in LI and being able to scalp tix at or below face value and then going in to their house and feeling like it was a Ranger home game at times.  

One thing, my Dolphin hatred is still tops, as much as I hate the Pats its just not as deep as Fish hatred 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There will be "Potvin Svcks" chants at the game today though.  :)  Cracks me up.

I wonder what opposing fans (who weren't aware of it beforehand) think of that 

They will think it is utterly stupid because Dennis Potvin is one of the best defenseman of all time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 10:14 AM, Jet Nut said:

Think you missed the point of his post

Their rivalry has been in place since the Islander dynasty.  As a Ranger fan I know I always look at the Ranger - Islander games differently from others.  Anyone who was a hockey fan in the 80's should

I agree, but the rivalry started in 75 with the Islanders winning the 3 game first round playoff series in OT of game 3.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 9:08 AM, More Cowbell said:

Was kind of vague but OK. For that matter I really think Islanders Rangers is a pretty meh rivalry.  Both team have been so bad until recently. 

Most Islanders fans would not agree with this post, or any of the posts you made in this thread.  You do not speak for Islanders fans.  I have been an Islanders fan since day 1 of the franchise and the games vs the Rangers are always special and mean more.  Apologies to the Rangers fans in this thread. I do not mean to distract from your playoff run.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Most Islanders fans would not agree with this post, or any of the posts you made in this thread.  You do not speak for Islanders fans.  I have been an Islanders fan since day 1 of the franchise and the games vs the Rangers are always special and mean more.  Apologies to the Rangers fans in this thread. I do not mean to distract from your playoff run.  

Hating a particular  team is a personal preference.  I don't  hate the Giants, I hate the Pats, Miami, and Raiders. It is how you feel personally. The Rangers are just another team to me. It never seemed like they were ever in the way of the Islanders and I would say the same for Ranger fans. I can't  even recall the last time they faced off in a playoff game. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hating a particular  team is a personal preference.  I don't  hate the Giants, I hate the Pats, Miami, and Raiders. It is how you feel personally. The Rangers are just another team to me. It never seemed like they were ever in the way of the Islanders and I would say the same for Ranger fans. I can't  even recall the last time they faced off in a playoff game. 

Odd at best. 

The Giants are just another team, we dont play them enough when it counts unlike when the Ranger play the Islanders who compete not only in the market but where it counts, in the standings, just like the Pats and Fish.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

Yep Southpark. Ken fuching Morrow beat Hanlon from the top of the circle to Hanlons left. 
Morrow had a real long career and maybe scored a dozen goals. 
I put him in the same category that Boston Red Sox fans have Bucky “fuching “ Dent in 

I remember it being Morrow.  Yes...  I was depressed for a month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Odd at best. 

The Giants are just another team, we dont play them enough when it counts unlike when the Ranger play the Islanders who compete not only in the market but where it counts, in the standings, just like the Pats and Fish.  

There are 80 regular season games. This isn't football

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There are 80 regular season games. This isn't football

Exactly and the Rangers/Islanders play more often than the Jets play either the Pats, Fish, Raiders and especially the Giants.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly and the Rangers/Islanders play more often than the Jets play either the Pats, Fish, Raiders and especially the Giants.  

I used the Giants as an example of a local rival. The Rangers are a divisional rival, just like the Flyers, Penguins, and Capitals. I find those games the same as the Rangers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...