Happy 79th Birthday Broadway Joe

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You could make an argument that for the modern NFL he is the most important and influential football player ever. People forget that pre-Namath the NFL and AFL were extremely distant competitors to baseball. Not sure but in the late 60s basketball might have even been more popular than football.  But then Namath happened he brough notoriety to the AFL, and forced the merger. After that the NFL was really born and NFL films took it the rest of the way in building the brand. But none of it happens without Namath. Now American football is probably the second biggest sport in the world.

That is my SIG.  He is no doubt the most important player ever in the NFL   Right place, right time, right skill etc..  Loved the guy!

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You could make an argument that for the modern NFL he is the most important and influential football player ever. People forget that pre-Namath the NFL and AFL were extremely distant competitors to baseball. Not sure but in the late 60s basketball might have even been more popular than football.  But then Namath happened he brough notoriety to the AFL, and forced the merger. After that the NFL was really born and NFL films took it the rest of the way in building the brand. But none of it happens without Namath. Now American football is probably the second biggest sport in the world.

Very true and why it is not a stretch to use the word iconic when discussing Joe. 

He was every much the impact to the NFL that Elvis and the Beatles were to music and the culture that came with it.

Prior to Joe, football players were crew cuts and conservative looking guys. He literally changed everything with his appearance and charisma. Then throw in the fact that he was a tremendous football player and wins a super bowl in NYC.

Yeah I am older but he will always be my favorite Jet and overall sports figure till the day I die.   

And Raquel Welch is one beautiful women without really trying.

• Upvote 4

Happy BDay Joe Namath ...... have been a fan since 74... after watching the Brady bunch as a little kid.

... I wonder if he would have survived in today's culture.

Annnnnnd ... I was born one day too late ...

.... dammit.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I love your enthusiasm but you might want to pump the brakes on this one. This is a very American-centric view. Depending on what is considered sport, I doubt it’s top five, maybe not even top ten. 

But yes! Happy b day Joe Namath, the original Dawg!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I love your enthusiasm but you might want to pump the brakes on this one. This is a very American-centric view. Depending on what is considered sport, I doubt it’s top five, maybe not even top ten. 

Yeah apparently world wide it's not even Top 10 but who cares? It's football.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, the Claw said:

For ten years I walk my dog through the watershed up to the park and see group of dudes playing cricket. I stop to watch, even spoke to them and I'm still absolutely baffled at what the hell they are doing, why and what the goal is. That's likely how a good part of the world feels about American football. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

For ten years I walk my dog through the watershed up to the park and see group of dudes playing cricket. I stop to watch, even spoke to them and I'm still absolutely baffled at what the hell they are doing, why and what the goal is. That's likely how a good part of the world feels about American football. 

Cricket is a whole lotta wtf for me. The rest of the world loves it though so who knows?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Unfortunately that would be Cricket.  2.5 billion fans worldwide.  ?

Yeah but my point is still somewhat valid. I guess the real question is whether football baseball or basketball American teams is the mist popular.

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah but my point is still somewhat valid. I guess the real question is whether football baseball or basketball American teams is the mist popular.

Amongst Americans it’s football and it’s not really close.  

Internationally, it’s basketball, then baseball, then football.