OTA Updates. Wednesday June 1

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

OTAs are open to reporters today.  Saleh meeting with the press now.

I know I'm going toi get downvotes for this,  but why does Gardner "have to earn it" when Zach Wilson was handed the starting job last year right out the gate?

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I know I'm going toi get downvotes for this,  but why does Gardner "have to earn it" when Zach Wilson was handed the starting job last year right out the gate?

If you need to ask that question you don't understand football as much as you think you do

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Zach should have had to earn it as well.  But last year. the QB depth chart did not include anyone with game experience.  We did not have anyone with starting experience at QB.  We do at CB this season.

I suppose that could have been the case, but it sometimes feels (to me at least) like Saleh is making a lot of sh!t up on the fly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

When they drafted Zac Wilson they didnt have an established starter.  And Zac looked pretty good in the pre season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

When they drafted Zac Wilson they didnt have an established starter.  And Zac looked pretty good in the pre season.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he was annointed the starter even before the practices began (I could be wrong). Additionally, Saleh didn't say Gardner isn't starting because of Hall, Saleh said Gardner doesn't get the starting spot just because of draft position.

Look, its all semantics, I think we would all be shocked if Gardner isn't the starter by preseason game 1. I just don't like the inconsistency in Saleh's view from 1 season to the next and yes, I understand QBs are different. 

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Because the team didn't have any viable other option and was willing to take the short-term lumps to accelerate his development.

There are only a few reasons not to start a 1st round rookie QB:

1) They're so "not ready" that it will actively harm their development. Not just "not currently sufficiently advanced to do well right away" but "playing now will create bad habits/shatter their confidence/prevent them from working on things" (the "Trey Lance")

2) You're a contending team with a viable veteran QB option who has a chance to take you to the playoffs (the "Pat Mahomes"); or

3) You're not a contending team but you have a well-respected vet QB and handing the job to a rookie will harm the locker room

The Jets didn't fit any of those buckets. Zach's primary issue was going to be adjusting to the level of competition, which you can't really do from the bench, they weren't a contender, and there was no vet with the room's support. Under those circumstances, you start the kid if the camp competition is remotely close, and let him get live-bullets experience as quickly as possible. Chicago would have been better off doing the same thing with Fields

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

So I was a guilty party last year stating how Mims always looked dis-interested and slow off the line.

Maybe this kid was simply screwed up physically form all of the off season stuff including getting food poison. 

If by some reason that was it and this kid can get back to the potential of a 2nd round pick - overall better for the Jets. 

• Upvote 3