Saleh Gives OTA Updates; Still No Becton, Mims Is Doing Better

Denzel Mims

NY Jets head coach Robert Saleh spoke to the media during OTAs at Florham Park on Wednesday. He gave updates on several topic, one that is at the top of Jets fans minds is Mekhi Becton. Saleh was asked when the decision on where George Fant and Mekhi Becton will play, as the battle for the left tackle position.

As soon as we can get Mekhi here, I think hopefully for minicamp, I know he’s dealing with the birth of his baby. Again, far more important. Once we get them all in here and we’re able to work through it all, we’ll be able to work through that part of it.

We’re in communication with him, it’s no hurry. It’s not like we’re doing 11-on-11 stuff anyways.

Mike LaFleur added:

I talked to George on Thursday of last week, FaceTimed him, and he had a full on sweat going from Florida, working on what he needs to work on. That stuff is going to work itself out, it always does. Right now, the focus doesn’t have to be who our 11 starters are. It has to be each and every guy getting a little bit better. We know Mekhi not being here, and I know you all know this, he just had a kid. It’s going to be cool. He is going to be a cool dad. He is going to have a big smile on his face when he gets back here. Obvioulsy he’s putting himself in the best situation to come through and be the best Mekhi that he can be.

What work is Becton doing this offseason?

They’re working on everything. I know he’s just working on overall strength and getting the knee back and all that stuff. From everything I’ve been gathering, he looks really good.

The Denzel Mims debate rages on, after a promising rookie season, he followed that up with a disappointing second season.  Where is Denzel at in terms of grasping the offense?

Denzel is doing better. His second time around, he’s in fantastic shape, and looks really good. He’s working on the things that we’ve asked him to work on with regards to the catch point and all that stuff, contested balls. And, obviously, grasping the offense. Obviously, we all, the whole organization, has work to do in terms of reaching the point where we’re not thinking about what we’re being asked to do, but he’s a lot further along than he was a year ago.

He never got a chance with all the sicknesses that he had. When I say shape, because of the things that happened to him last offseason he was never able to maintain the lower-half power that is so underrated for a receiver to be able to get in and out of breaks and be explosive. So, you see all the explosiveness now because he’s in fantastic shape and ready to roll.

The post Saleh Gives OTA Updates; Still No Becton, Mims Is Doing Better appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Can’t publicly bash a player for not being at voluntaries even if it’s the guy who probably needs to be there the most. Once minicamp starts and he no shows then I’m assuming the excuses end. 

I get you Matt and yes, you can't bash a player, but come on, he is not the only guy who's ever had a baby. (I am assuming and hopeful that the baby is healthy). This is just not a good sign, in 2 season's Becton has played 13 games.........I might be in the minority but I am becoming more and more pissed off with this guy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I get you Matt and yes, you can't bash a player, but come on, he is not the only guy who's ever had a baby. ((I am assuming and hopeful that the baby is healthy). This is just not a good sign, in 2 season's Becton has played 13 games.........I might be in the minority but I am becoming more and more pissed off with this guy. 

I'm GETTING ANGRY! It's only football and otas you'll live. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I get you Matt and yes, you can't bash a player, but come on, he is not the only guy who's ever had a baby. ((I am assuming and hopeful that the baby is healthy). This is just not a good sign, in 2 season's Becton has played 13 games.........I might be in the minority but I am becoming more and more pissed off with this guy. 

We haven’t even gotten to the good part yet. The inevitable breakup between him and the Jets will be a mess.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Biggs said:

Saleh has yet to show he is a capable HC.  I hope he turns it around.  I'm much more concerned about him than about Douglas's ability to build a roster.  

He’s saying all the right things. Whether it aligns with how the team prepares and practices is yet to be seen. He cancelled a mini camp practice last year for no reason, reports this year that OTA’s have been very light etc. Would also hope he’s moved into his house by now.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

"We’re in communication with him, it’s no hurry. It’s not like we’re doing 11-on-11 stuff anyways."

In my opinion, this is NOT someone who is running a tight ship How many excuses can you make for someone????

It's VOLUNTARY!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Man, it is just endless with Becton around here. Meanwhile, George Fant has also been MIA from all voluntary activities, and no one says a word because he had what can only be described as a pretty good year starting at LT last season. 
It's definitely a double standard.

And not a word yet about Mims? Lol

He looks much better, is available, here when he doesn't have to be....can the man get a little credit for doing the thing everyone is criticizing Becton for NOT doing?

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

I recently had my daughter and I can tell you I don't blame him one bit, being at otas is like you haveb0 contact at home right? Meaning if he went he wouldn't be seeing his daughter at all right? Ok went back to work right after my daughter was born but I did have evening with her and weekends. I don't blame him for taking the time at all. I don't think you necessarily need it, but why not ....it's OTAs

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Man, it is just endless with Becton around here. Meanwhile, George Fant has also been MIA from all voluntary activities, and no one says a word because he had what can only be described as a pretty good year starting at LT last season. 

Might be nothing more than a cautionary tale regarding the dangers of engagement on social media.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Might be nothing more than a cautionary tale regarding the dangers of engagement on social media.

Saw in the Mangold/Brick/Revis announcement that it looks like Brick doesn’t have a Twitter account. I’d love for him to have a talk with Mekhi about that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Saleh says tomorrow we're gonna work on interior design so LaFleur draws up a bunch of zone runs or whatever then he gets to the meeting room and there's drapes everywhere.

This version of you is by far the best one yet. This is hysterical!!!

28 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I recently had my daughter and I can tell you I don't blame him one bit, being at otas is like you haveb0 contact at home right? Meaning if he went he wouldn't be seeing his daughter at all right? Ok went back to work right after my daughter was born but I did have evening with her and weekends. I don't blame him for taking the time at all. I don't think you necessarily need it, but why not ....it's OTAs

He should be at the OTAs. It's obviously not required, but given his last 12 months, he should be there.  

He's not the first NFL player to have a baby. I understand being there for the birth and the immediate aftermath, but after a week or so have your family members pitch in, maybe even spend a little of that 1st round rookie contract on a nanny to give mom all the help she needs, and get your butt to camp.  Neither the birth or OTAs were a surprise. He had time to figure it out.

As for Saleh, the excuses and dismissals are concerning. Hopefully what he's saying behind doors is different than what's being said to the press. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

I'm just going to throw a couple of thought in...

1. Saleh DID publicly bash Becton when it mattered and was fair to bash him. Its not like he's a guy who constantly covers for his players and 'doesn't run a tight ship'. He criticized Becton for being out of shape when Becton was out of shape, for example. You saw the same thing with Mims. He may not have been as harsh publicly, but he severely cut Mim's snaps when Mims could not grasp the playbook, contribute on specials, or made costly mental mistakes on the field-  that kind of thing. In general Saleh doesn't let his players dictate how he runs things.  So that is an unfair criticism IMO. 

2.  Becton played 13 games in 2 seasons. Sure, that is bad. Not a good sign. But he's only been in the league two seasons. He, essentially suffered a season ending injury last year. I get it. He wasn't SUPPOSED to be out all season. But injuries effect people/players differently. Some take much longer to recover. Nobody (fans/media) seems to be constantly barraging Lawson for playing 11 games his last two seasons

Becton gets a ton of flack but he's actually missed less games than a guy like Lawson, who, by the way, was signed to a 45mil contract for 3 years. I'm not saying its not a problem that Becton can't make his way onto the field (or Lawson for that matter). But the level of hatred directed at him because of it is absolutely absurd. Why exactly are you more and more pissed at the guy? Let him enjoy early fatherhood for the first few days of his child's life. He seems to be physically ready to go and he seems to be in communication with coaching staff. They seem to all be on the same page. Relax. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 6/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, PepPep said:

I'm just going to throw a couple of thought in...

1. Saleh DID publicly bash Becton when it mattered and was fair to bash him. Its not like he's a guy who constantly covers for his players and 'doesn't run a tight ship'. He criticized Becton for being out of shape when Becton was out of shape, for example. You saw the same thing with Mims. He may not have been as harsh publicly, but he severely cut Mim's snaps when Mims could not grasp the playbook, contribute on specials, or made costly mental mistakes on the field-  that kind of thing. In general Saleh doesn't let his players dictate how he runs things.  So that is an unfair criticism IMO. 

2.  Becton played 13 games in 2 seasons. Sure, that is bad. Not a good sign. But he's only been in the league two seasons. He, essentially suffered a season ending injury last year. I get it. He wasn't SUPPOSED to be out all season. But injuries effect people/players differently. Some take much longer to recover. Nobody (fans/media) seems to be constantly barraging Lawson for playing 11 games his last two seasons

Becton gets a ton of flack but he's actually missed less games than a guy like Lawson, who, by the way, was signed to a 45mil contract for 3 years. I'm not saying its not a problem that Becton can't make his way onto the field (or Lawson for that matter). But the lever of hatred directed at him because of it is absolutely absurd. Why exactly are you more and more pissed at the guy? Let him enjoy early fatherhood for the first few days of his child's life. He seems to be physically ready to go and he seems to be in communication with coaching staff. They seem to all be on the same page. Relax. 

Hey, 

fair points.

1-Saleh should not bash Becton publicly but, he should not make excuses for him either. This "way more important things" has been over used by him a lot. Sure a child is way more important then football, no comparison at all. But does it have to be repeated?

2-Lawson has a huge contract that so far, he has not lived up to. I get injuries and such, nevertheless, he hasn't earned a dime of it so far. He is also NOT a high first round pick from the Jets organization and has shown way more love for the game than Becton. Lawson talked about recovering quickly and coming back better and how much he missed being on the field, Becton tweeted about the video games he was playing and what did people want to see him play next. 

3-There are 7.753 Billion people in the world, only 1,696 are active NFL players. the percentage of people to NFL player is infinitesimal.  Being an NFL player requires way more commitment than many other regular jobs. I agree that he should have been there for the birth and a few days after, but NFL players have kids all the time and they don't miss that kind of time. Especially players that are seldom to almost never with the team and on the field. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Being an NFL player requires ay more commitment than many other regular jobs. I agree that he should have been there for the birth an a few days after, but NFL player have kids all the time and they don't miss that kind of time. Especially players that are seldom to almost never with the team and on the field. 

Exactly.