Quinnen Williams reps

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That is 100% my reaction. 

Obviously Saleh wants to rotate guys and keep them fresh. But if QW was a dominant player he'd be playing more -- you don't take elite DL off the field in crunch time.

That is not what Ulbrich said.  He literally said that he didn't care if it was Nick Bosa. 

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

yet the coach did not do what he said and played players more 70% of the snaps in the past. Why then and not now?

Ulbrich was not with those guys in SF, so the bit above bit about Nick Bosa and them does not relate to him.  As @JiFapono pointed out, he did ride Grady Jarrett pretty hard in 2019.  He played guys over 35 snaps with the Jets.  JFM played the most and he played over 70% of the snaps in four games, but he never played even 75% of the snaps in any single game.  That tells us that while the 35 snap number might be an exaggeration, it is certainly a goal and what they trend towards.  I think that 35 snaps is the number of snaps they think a DT could play at 100% in any given game without breaking down.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Maybe I'm quibbling with words, but Cimini asks if 30-35 snaps is ideally a hard and fast rule. Of course, ideally the team has talented enough depth that that the best guys can play 30-35 snaps and there isn't a big drop off for the remaining snaps. 

Whether that goes into practice I guess we'll see. I think it gets harder to take your better players off the field if you see a drop off and there's a sense of urgency to win games.

Also, built into the question is that the Jets didn't do that last year with JFM. Looking at snap counts from last year, they didn't cap guys at 35. Last year JFM was only under 35 snaps in two of the games he played, even Shepherd broke 35 snaps three times, Shaq Lawson 8 times, Bryce Huff 3 times, I can't find Quinnen game by game but he averaged 41 snaps a game so pretty clear he went over 35 too. So they didn't remotely actually do this last year.

Williams had ten games over 35 snaps.  Many were barely - 39 snaps, but he had a 3 game stretch of 59, 50, 50 weeks 4-5-6.   

Quinnen snaps by game 2021

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, derp said:

Maybe I'm quibbling with words, but Cimini asks if 30-35 snaps is ideally a hard and fast rule. Of course, ideally the team has talented enough depth that that the best guys can play 30-35 snaps and there isn't a big drop off for the remaining snaps. 

Whether that goes into practice I guess we'll see. I think it gets harder to take your better players off the field if you see a drop off and there's a sense of urgency to win games.

Also, built into the question is that the Jets didn't do that last year with JFM. Looking at snap counts from last year, they didn't cap guys at 35. Last year JFM was only under 35 snaps in two of the games he played, even Shepherd broke 35 snaps three times, Shaq Lawson 8 times, Bryce Huff 3 times, I can't find Quinnen game by game but he averaged 41 snaps a game so pretty clear he went over 35 too. So they didn't remotely actually do this last year.

Well, if other teams are running 80 or more plays, everyone has to play more.

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Ulbrich so far is an effing disaster. I have never seen a Jets defense so clueless as last year. Not even close. 

They would have to improve drastically to be beyond terrible. Injuries or no injuries, this team was brutal on defense. 

Truth be told, he should not have been retained in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, if other teams are running 80 or more plays, everyone has to play more.

Not enough more for the snap counts last year, and if it’s a “hard and fast” rule that doesn’t matter anyway. Point was, it’s not a hard and fast rule they have.

To be honest with this strategy we should trade Q and then bring in a couple zero technique guys to solidify the middle. Right now I still see us just getting gashed up the middle. With Reed, Sauce and Whitehead we will be better on the edge for rushes and swing passes and screens (which just raped us with rebar last year) and edge should be better, but I still see the middle being really problematic. I do not see us resigning him so get what we can now.

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Yup no question about it. I think he's  stud D lineman.  Would like to see him play more than 30-35 reps per game. 

When has he looked like a "stud", exactly?  Because his productivity has been more in line with a 2nd-3rd round DL:

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Based on pro-football-reference.com's DrAV metric (Approximate Value for team that drafted said player), 9 DL/EDGE from that draft class rank ahead of Quinnen:

1. DE Maxx Crosby (pick 4.106 - LVR)  @Raideraholic
  2. DE Nick Bosa (pick 1.2 - SF)
  3. DT Jeffrey Simmons (pick 1.19 - TEN)
  4. DT Ed Oliver (pick 1.9 - BUF)
  5. DT Christian Wilkins (pick 1.13 - MIA)
  6. DE Brian Burns (pick 1.16 - CAR)
  7. DT Dexter Lawrence (pick 1.17 - NYG)
  8. DE Montez Sweat (pick 1.26 - WAS)
  9. EDGE Andrew Van Ginkel (pick 5.151 - MIA)
  10. DT Quinnen Williams (pick 1.3 - NYJ)
  11. EDGE Josh Allen (pick 1.7 - JAX)
  12. DT Jerry Tillery (pick 1.28 - LAC)

Source:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/draft.htm

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

At least @New York Mick can rest easy knowing he was right to doubt Josh Allen (the Jaguars' version).