Revis, DBrick, and Mangold going into Ring of Honor

I a little miffed with Revis. Not over the holdouts and forcing his way off the team, that was just business. He was a major A-Hole on his way out on the Jamal Adams level. I think there was something about we are going to see how loyal the Jets are going to be in trying to keep him when he clearly had nothing left and was basically a punching bag for WR's. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Trotter said:

read the title and was thrilled but admittedly a little put off with Revis.

Without a doubt his play on the field is 1000% deserving. He was simply magical when Revis island was at its peak.

From a personal perspective and the way he handled his business with the Jets - that is where the negativity comes from and being perfectly honest - he was 100% in his rights to handle as a business. I just didn't like the holdouts and constant wining over his contract.   

In today's NFL his contract nonsense would be par for the course, so really can't hold a grudge for a player who was just ahead of his time with respect to the way he handled his business. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I wonder if they’ll all get their own game for the ceremony or if they’ll just do all 3 at one game 

well here’s the answer:

The Jets will expand their Ring of Honor by three in 2022, with the additions of former teammates Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Darrelle Revis. The induction ceremonies will take place at halftime at three separate games at MetLife Stadium, as Mangold will be honored on Sept. 25 vs. the Bengals, Ferguson on Oct. 30 vs. the Patriots and Revis on Nov. 27 vs. the Bears.

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In today's NFL his contract nonsense would be par for the course, so really can't hold a grudge for a player who was just ahead of his time with respect to the way he handled his business. 

Understood and I completely agree with the short sport lifespan of a player and getting what they can. If Revis did it once and the Jets made it right (which I believe they did) then ok. It just seemed like every year it was another contract argument and potential holdout.

I am a get off my lawn guy so understand that is part of it as well.

1 hour ago, slats said:

It’s a business. It’s always a business from management’s side, and we all celebrate when a player is signed to what we perceive to be a good or fair deal, and get upset when they pay too much. I never once had any problem with Revis getting all he could because, frankly, he was worth it. What seems to get lost, too, is that the rookie holdup was Tannenbaum trying to force a sixth year onto his first contract -which was not the norm- and Revis, rightfully, wanting the opportunity to exploit free agency sooner. If the Jets came at him with a five year offer from the start, the protracted negotiations never would’ve been necessary. 

These young men have a very limited window in which to earn the majority of what they are likely to earn over the course of their lifetimes. I won’t always support the idea of the Jets paying that player, but I’ll always support the player getting everything he can. Especially a player as great as Revis. 

I agree with all that but all I would ask is when you do come back ready to play. Not all hamstringy and slouchy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Really glad DBrick is on the list, feel like he was an underrated player and often maybe not appreciated as much as he should have been.  Everyone loves Mangold and that traitor Mevi$ Slouch, rightfully so but DBrick missed one snap his entire career and that was on a last second lateral play where he was pulled.  Just a great reliable player.

The maladies of Becton definitely make you appreciate Brick more.

• Upvote 3

Congrats to all three guys.  It is well deserved.  Reading through the thread, it is clear that Revis likely  will never be beloved by the fanbase the way the other two guys are. 

It was his choice to leverage football to make as much money during a short career as he possibly could.  He played at a high level and made a boatload of money.  I don't begrudge him that.  We want these guys to play for a love of the franchise, but most do not.  It is a business to them.  But now, in retirement, Revis is not the beloved former Jet (or former Buc, or former Pat) like other guys who played for those teams. 

That is the price he paid for being a mercenary.  I doubt he cares.

• Upvote 2

I didn't mind Revis' holdout at all when he got his first big contract here. 

What I DID mind was him winning a SB with New England, and when he returned to the Jets, not being anything close to the same player he was in the first half of his career.

I suppose I can be cool with him being in the Ring of Honor, since he was drafted here, he put up the best CB season I've ever seen here and won some playoff games here.  But he'll get a golf clap (from me at least) whereas Mangold and Brick deserve red carpet treatment.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

read the title and was thrilled but admittedly a little put off with Revis.

Without a doubt his play on the field is 1000% deserving. He was simply magical when Revis island was at its peak.

From a personal perspective and the way he handled his business with the Jets - that is where the negativity comes from and being perfectly honest - he was 100% in his rights to handle as a business. I just didn't like the holdouts and constant wining over his contract.   

Yeah... Im with you BUT the guy was beyond incredible. I won't wear his jersey, I wouldn't walk across the street to meet him but he was incredible and incredibly selfish. 

• Post of the Week 1