Revis, DBrick, and Mangold going into Ring of Honor

On 6/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I didn't mind Revis' holdout at all when he got his first big contract here. 

What I DID mind was him winning a SB with New England, and when he returned to the Jets, not being anything close to the same player he was in the first half of his career.

I suppose I can be cool with him being in the Ring of Honor, since he was drafted here, he put up the best CB season I've ever seen here and won some playoff games here.  But he'll get a golf clap (from me at least) whereas Mangold and Brick deserve red carpet treatment.

Brick and Mangold being lifers helps but lets be real, as much as I love those dudes, neither ever reached the level of greatness we saw from Mevi$.  And as annoying as it was in the moment, I cant really blame him for trying to rake these owners for every penny he can and not being loyal to a team that traded him.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Brick and Mangold being lifers helps but lets be real, as much as I love those dudes, neither ever reached the level of greatness we saw from Mevi$.  And as annoying as it was in the moment, I cant really blame him for trying to rake these owners for every penny he can and not being loyal to a team that traded him.

It's fine if he did what he did - not being loyal.  He's welcome to take that approach - but while that makes him the most money - it, IMO, disqualifies him to be in the ring of honor.  

HOF surely, ROH absolutely not.  

He chose the mercenary/rake the owners route, good for him ---- but he's not a "Jet" IMO - only "Jets" should be in the ring of honor.

17 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t recall any of that. The Revis disrespect was expected, though. 

I can remember more than a few who brought this up.  Wasnt long lived fortunately and not to the Revis Becton level though

Congrats to Brick, Mangold, and Revi$! Damnit I miss those 09-10 Jets teams!  Their runs were euphoric and I really felt like each one of those teams had the goods to win a Super Bowl. Here's hoping we make it to the big dance soon and win it!
They were never truly dominant ... it was mostly window dressing.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:20 PM, BigRy56 said:

3 Jets legends, 1 lock first ballot hall of famer and 2 on the fringe. Not a bad couple of drafts for the Mangenious

Hang on, Brick was an above average pass blocker most of his career, briefly great at it, and had no questions about suiting up throughout, but he isn’t “on the fringe” of being in the HOF because his run blocking was mostly unremarkable and too often subpar. 

A 3x pro bowler, zero-time all pro, and one-time on NFL.com’s “top 100 players” list in 10 seasons. The latter two are voted by their peers (though the top 100 didn’t exist in his best seasons). Still, that’s his résumé in retirement.

You can hate it all you want, but he’s not even in the discussion of who’d be in the discussion. If he ever got in it’d have to be as a coach.

Mangold has a far stronger case - unlike Ferguson - he (like Revis) was actually the very best at his position for multiple seasons but, without tangible stats widely followed and highlight reels widely watched, it’s just hard for a center to get in. Even less so when he wasn’t anchoring championship teams nor blocking for league-leading rushers. Also the timing: with his career starting in ‘06 he wasn’t making an all-decade team unless he played as a PB/AP center as long as Mawae.

So Mangold is certainly on the fringe. Obviously I’m biased as a Jets fan, but I think he deserves it as a player was the best in the business or no worse than 2nd best for half a decade or more, but the odds are against it.

Revis yes, definitely. Mangold probably not but he’s at least borderline. Ferguson isn’t even close.

• Upvote 1