Fitzmagic Retires

There was much hatred towards Fitz on this board when he was here esp after week 17 in the 2015 season and then his bad season in 2016. He was always a free lance Qb who took (too many) chances won a few games and lost more. I never blamed him for week 17 alone the team came out flat and he had to play from behind which usually results in interceptions. He was imo the most polarizing player in Jets history. We had more fights on this board over Fitz than any other player. Some Jets fans hated him from the start because he did not fit their idea of a franchise Qb. As we have seen in recent years even when a team gets a chance to draft someone who fits their criteria of being a franchise Qb, big arm, etc it doesn't always work out. We've had two of them and so far it hasn't worked out. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's pretty simple really:  Fitz helped provide the only truly fun season since Rex Ryan in 2009/2010.

Yep.  And some people here still seemingly worship Mark Sanchez despite taking a 14-2 caliber 2009 roster and going 9-7 with it, and meanwhile hate or strongly dislike Ryan Fitzpatrick for going 10-6 (which in normal years was a near automatic record to get into the playoffs).  

Week 17 of 2015 sucked and Fitz certainly deserved blame for that day.  But those first 16 weeks were, as you say, the most fun we've had as Jets fans in a 12-year period.  Which is both a sad reflection of being a Jets fan AND a reason to at least be neutral about Fitz, not hate him.

• Upvote 3

On 6/2/2022 at 1:28 PM, Beerfish said:

late 7th round pick from harvard, played in the league for many years, never good enough to be a long time starter but for sure good enough to take over from guys that got hurt or faltered.  Made a ton of money, quite an accomplished career.

Trade - Fitz for Flacco. Make it happen JD. 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:17 PM, kevinc855 said:

Loved the 2015 Jets.......minus the last Bills game of course. 

All the best Fitzy

As I've said in the past multiple times my Mother started watching the team with me even as she was in stage 4 cancer. It was one of the most fun teams ever..

I played football at Dartmouth - my freshman year we faced Fitzpatrick at Harvard. He was the third string / Freshman QB. The first string QB was hurt, so we faced the 2nd string. He played poorly the first quarter and half, throwing 2 INT allowing us to go up 28-0. Then Harvard put in Fitzpatrick and he destroyed us with a 6 TD game against us. He never lost the job after that, he killed us.

I just read this in the comments of an article. Apparently the cycle started even before the pros.

3 hours ago, peebag said:

We're still paying the price for having Fitzy on the team to this day.  Not sure why anyone would root for the guy.

In what way?  We're still paying for many of the things Maccagnan botched in his tenure, but that was low on the list.  Hackenberg was his # 1 guy in 2016, for instance, regardless of the presence of Fitzpatrick on the roster or not.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:22 AM, southparkcpa said:

Half the fans here want to put him in the ring of honor....

Nope. No one wants that. 

It would just be nice if our drafted QB’s could put up a year like Fitz did in 2015.

That doesn’t seem like asking a lot tbh. Yet here we are.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nope. No one wants that. 

It would just be nice if our drafted QB’s could put up a year like Fitz did in 2015.

That doesn’t seem like asking a lot tbh. Yet here we are.

We can't as long as we draft safeties instead of QB's. ANY team that used Fitz in his long less than mediocre career was a roster mess at the hands of a poorly run team, headed by a GM who fukked up.  I do not care that he put up good numbers. If he is your QB... your team is in DEEP trouble or you wouldn't need him. Not ONE solid decent team hired Fitz.  They were all in deep personnel problems. 17 years and no playoffs and you want to wash the guys balls?  I'll mail you the soap. @Dwight Englewood

46 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We can't as long as we draft safeties instead of QB's. ANY team that used Fitz in his long less than mediocre career was a roster mess at the hands of a poorly run team, headed by a GM who fukked up.  I do not care that he put up good numbers. If he is your QB... your team is in DEEP trouble or you wouldn't need him. Not ONE solid decent team hired Fitz.  They were all in deep personnel problems. 17 years and no playoffs and you want to wash the guys balls?  I'll mail you the soap. @Dwight Englewood

"you want to wash the guys balls".

:rolleyes:

It's so odd the players people decide to viscerally hate to this level.  

Like I said, let me know when one of these amazing, elite, top-draft picks kids finally produces at that 2015 level or hopefully better, because that is all I want. 

I'm guessing neither you nor the many Wilson "ball washers" will guarantee that Wilson will produce better than Fitz this year, will you.  Of course you won't.

Like I said, it doesn't seem like a big ask to ask for our elite, special, awesome draft pick QB's to produce to the level of a career loser, right?

• Upvote 1

I liked Fitz because of his kamikazi runs and guts. I remember the game when he bootlegged it into the endzone, almost got himself killed. Watching guys like Darnold, the contrast was striking. Darnold rarely took off or sacrificed his body like  Fitz did. So i recognize his limitations, but i can respect his guts snd moxie, and it was often entertaining and even inspiring when he ran and didn't take even take a dive like qb's do, but sometimes went helmet first. 

51 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I liked Fitz because of his kamikazi runs and guts. I remember the game when he bootlegged it into the endzone, almost got himself killed. Watching guys like Darnold, the contrast was striking. Darnold rarely took off or sacrificed his body like  Fitz did. So i recognize his limitations, but i can respect his guts snd moxie, and it was often entertaining and even inspiring when he ran and didn't take even take a dive like qb's do, but sometimes went helmet first. 

Yup.  I can understand disliking Fitz, but how can anyone HATE a guy who played the game like this? 

image.gif.75d64a8f375fbb1ea69dacec6c3214ea.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

"you want to wash the guys balls".

:rolleyes:

It's so odd the players people decide to viscerally hate to this level.  

Like I said, let me know when one of these amazing, elite, top-draft picks kids finally produces at that 2015 level or hopefully better, because that is all I want. 

I'm guessing neither you nor the many Wilson "ball washers" will guarantee that Wilson will produce better than Fitz this year, will you.  Of course you won't.

Like I said, it doesn't seem like a big ask to ask for our elite, special, awesome draft pick QB's to produce to the level of a career loser, right?

Wilson is an unproven commodity.  Fitz is a proven , 2nd stringer. You want to applaud him,  That's so 2020. Applaud mediocrity. I haven't fallen that low yet.

BUT... we agree, EVERY team that hired him is run so poorly, that his mediocrity exceeds our vision.  

40 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Wilson is an unproven commodity.  Fitz is a proven , 2nd stringer.

If you want to say Fitz sucked, fine, make that argument.  But the guy started 147 games in his career.  7x he started 12+ games in a season, and 10x he started at least half a team’s games.  He was a journeyman starter, not a 2nd stringer.  

2nd stringers are guys like Geno Smith, Colt McCoy, Shaun Hill, Brian Hoyer, Kellen Clemens, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton, who carry clipboards the overwhelming majority of their careers.  None of those guys started more than 40 games in their careers.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you want to say Fitz sucked, fine, make that argument.  But the guy started 147 games in his career.  He was a journeyman starter, not a 2nd stringer.  

2nd stringers are guys like Geno Smith, Colt McCoy, Shaun Hill, Brian Hoyer, Kellen Clemens and Drew Stanton, who carry clipboards the overwhelming majority of their careers.  

Jets fans maligning a guy like Fitzpatrick is like the French maligning Axe body spray because it’s not a REAL shower.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you want to say Fitz sucked, fine, make that argument.  But the guy started 147 games in his career.  7x he started 12+ games in a season, and 10x he started at least half a team’s games.  He was a journeyman starter, not a 2nd stringer.  

2nd stringers are guys like Geno Smith, Colt McCoy, Shaun Hill, Brian Hoyer, Kellen Clemens, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton, who carry clipboards the overwhelming majority of their careers.  None of those guys started more than 40 games in their careers.  

What’s your point????  I am stating that Fitz , long term, helped no team and was hired by well below average teams.  I think what he accomplished is incredible.  Yet, if you state that HE was the best QB your treat has had, your team SUCKS.  That is the problem to be addressed. 

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets fans maligning a guy like Fitzpatrick is like the French maligning Axe body spray because it’s not a REAL shower.

My nephew left some AXE at my house….  I used it. Gave me temporary satisfaction.  Just like Fitz does.  Once it wore off… I realized I was still an old Fukk.  

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My nephew left some AXE at my house….  I used it. Gave me temporary satisfaction.  Just like Fitz does.  Once it wore off… I realized I was still an old Fukk.  

And still a smelly neckbeard ;) 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

What’s your point????  I am stating that Fitz , long term, helped no team and was hired by well below average teams.  I think what he accomplished is incredible.  Yet, if you state that HE was the best QB your treat has had, your team SUCKS.  That is the problem to be addressed. 

My point is he wasn’t a 2nd stringer.  Put some respect on his name, sir.