Saleh/Ulbrich Approach Will Hinder Quinnen Williams and why Fans Should Ignore Jets Flat-Earther Football Takes

Quinnen-Williams-scaled.jpg

When Jets coaches met with the media at 1 Jets Drive yesterday, one quote from defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich stood out.  When asked by Rich Cimini of ESPN about rotating defensive linemen, Ulbrich said the team will stick with a plan that will ideally limit Jets linemen to roughly 35 snaps per game.

Willingly taking your best players off the field for extended periods of time is something any opponent would beg for and it seems the Jets are willing to oblige.

Attn @nyjets fans:

# of gms in which a player played 70% or more of snaps in 2021:

Jeffery Simmons: 16
Cam Heyward: 16
Aaron Donald: 15
Deforest Buckner: 15
Fletcher Cox: 11
Jonathan Allen:9
Jonathan Hargrave:8
Larry Ogunjobi:7
Quinnen Williams: 0

2019-2021:

Q. Williams: 4

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) June 2, 2022

Entering the final year of his rookie contract, defensive tackle Quinnen Williams will likely be impacted most.  While most teams max out reps for their top players, Williams will continue watching a lot of football from the sidelines as he has through his first three pro seasons.

On this episode of JetNation Radio we cover the situation with Williams, the good news about Zach Wilson and some of the bizarre takes on Gang Green from a slew of “writers” from various outlets.  Each take worse than the last and definitely some opinions that rival those of the most dedicated flat-earther.

The post Saleh/Ulbrich Approach Will Hinder Quinnen Williams and why Fans Should Ignore Jets Flat-Earther Football Takes appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hinder Quinnen Willimas.  That is funny.  Hinder him from what?

Hes done nothing in his 3 years in the league.  Hes slightly above average at best.  Who cares how many snaps he gets.

Hinder him from increased production as a result of increased opportunities.  If you take a baseball player and give him 400 AB's instead of 600 AB's would you expect his production to be the same or different?

• Upvote 2

Hinder Quinnen Willimas.  That is funny.  Hinder him from what?
Hes done nothing in his 3 years in the league.  Hes slightly above average at best.  Who cares how many snaps he gets.
.. but ... but ... hes gonna dominate ... I know I heard him say that(twice) One of the best things hes done is bring his brother whom I have higher hopes for.

On 6/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, AFJF said:

Hinder him from increased production as a result of increased opportunities.  If you take a baseball player and give him 400 AB's instead of 600 AB's would you expect his production to be the same or different?

Using a baseball analogy, would a starting pitcher be more effective throwing 6 innings at around 100 pitches or 8 innings at 130 pitches?

Would a player be more effective if a left handed batter got the 600 Plate Appearances (PA) or be platooned with someone who mashes lefties for a 400/200 PA split?

Or a relief pitcher throwing everyday?

I get that everybody is riled up over the supposed set "pitch count" but c'mon.  They have already proven they aren't going to have an automatic limit, and/or it certainly isn't at 35.  That was an ideal so they would be going at 100% on every play.  This may be something else.  Maybe it is so that people don't blow a gasket when they are rotating them early.  Maybe it is to get them to up their conditioning so that they can stay on the field longer.  Maybe they just like saying dumb sh*t to the media.  Certainly enough of that going around lately.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Using a baseball analogy, would a starting pitcher be more effective throwing 6 innings at around 100 pitches or 8 innings at 130 pitches?

Would a player be more effective if a left handed batter got the 600 Plate Appearances (PA) or be platooned with someone who mashes lefties for a 400/200 PA split?

Or a relief pitcher throwing everyday?

Good analogy.  I guess that's why Aaron Donald tends to disappear in the 4th quarter.  Stupid Rams and their high rep counts.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that everybody is riled up over the supposed set "pitch count" but c'mon.  They have already proven they aren't going to have an automatic limit, and/or it certainly isn't at 35.  That was an ideal so they would be going at 100% on every play.  This may be something else.  Maybe it is so that people don't blow a gasket when they are rotating them early.  Maybe it is to get them to up their conditioning so that they can stay on the field longer.  Maybe they just like saying dumb sh*t to the media.  Certainly enough of that going around lately.

Pretty dumb to say they're going to do it of they already know they're not going to do it.

Edited by AFJF

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why?  Teams do that all the time.  They said that Gardner is going to have to earn his starting spot too.  

One is expected.  You don't tell a guy (Hall) he has no chance to start in May.

Saying you have a hard and fast rule that you don't actually have serves no purpose to anyone.

Edited by AFJF

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

One is expected.  You don't tell a guy (Hall) he has no chance to start in May.

Saying you have a hard and fast rule that you don't actually have serves no purpose to anyone.

First of all, it obviously isn't a hard and fast rule.  They didn't do it last year. They said ideally they would like to keep it there.

Next I gave you two potential reasons.  1.  To keep the press and forums from going ballistic when the higher profile guys are playing limited snaps.   2.  To light a fire under Quinnen's ass regarding conditioning.  They want guys going all out on every snap.  You want to play more snaps show you can do it at 100%.

It is possible they are idiots but when someone like Parcells said sh*t like this people lapped it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'll take a wait and see approach but it's hilarious how people have so much confidence in a defensive coaching staff that allowed 700 yards rushing per game last season without one adjustment. 
^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^ and more
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, undertow said:

I'll take a wait and see approach but it's hilarious how people have so much confidence in a defensive coaching staff that allowed 700 yards rushing per game last season without one adjustment. 

I've kind of defended the stupid statement, but I certainly don't have confidence in this defensive coaching staff.  I don't even think they were that good in SF.  I do think that Ulbrich gets a bit too much hate around here.  Not because I think he is so good, but because I think he is a lap dog for Saleh, and scapegoating him is silly.  Like they did with Rodgers for Bowles and Pettine with Rex.  Those guys are extensions of the head coach.  Put the blame where it belongs.

• Upvote 1